Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Reserve Poolers in Real Life

Reserve Poolers in Real Life

We all have one thing in common -- we all like Dice Masters.

The question I have is what do we all have "uncommon"? Aka, what do you do in real life?

I'm a 29-year-old radio guy in Canada who gets up every morning crazy early to read people the news. Radio/podcasting/sports talk has always been my passion, and I hope to do more of it in the future.

Regarding this game, I recently discovered Dice Masters while visiting my FLGS, and immediately fell in love with the game. It feels a lot like HeroClix, without having to spend as much money. (Thank goodness. Again, I work in radio. You don't get into radio for the money!) I've always enjoyed tabletop sports games, and Dice Masters just appealed to me perfectly.

I bought the AvX starter set, watched some YouTube videos to learn, got super pumped and went back to buy the UX starter set, and then bought more UX boosters before eventually deciding to just buy the UX gravity feed and received most of the set. (Waiting on commons/uncommons of D&D/YuGiOh, before I eventually buy the starter sets for those two. Not to mention the gravity feed/starter set for DC... yeah, diving in head-first.) Also, the girlfriend said she'd play with me so I could try out some pieces and wouldn't you know it, she fell in love with the game too.

Anyway, how about you guys (and ladies)? Tell us a little about yourself!

29 in western PA, knew I'd fall for Dice Masters from Vasel's first mention of it on The Dice Tower. And here we are with this site. This is what I wanted to do. I used to teach music before budget cuts and podcasts keep me working in audio! Live with my wife, an avid player herself.

28 year old in Northeast Ohio. Married and father of 3, soon to be 4. I used to play soccer every Sunday about 40 minutes away. As we had kids it became a chore to take the kids to my soccer games. Started searching for other hobbies. I got invited to play some board games with a couple friends from church. Played and enjoyed Marvel Legendary. My friend told me I might like this new game coming out in a few months: Marvel Dice Masters... and here I am.

I'm gonna be the old guy, I guess. 39 year old in Central Wisconsin. Father of two awesome girls, age 6 and 8. I'm an IT guy at a university.

My life is very streamlined without a lot of variety, and I like it that way. There's work, sleep, family, house work, Dice Masters and Heroscape mostly. That and some other board gaming. Other than occasional special events (annual vacation, holiday get-togethers, etc.) if you catch me at a random time, it is 99+% likely I'm doing something related to those items during the course of my day (or traveling to accomplish one of the listed tasks).

I discovered Dice Masters via Tom Vasel and The Dice Tower. My gaming tastes align pretty well with Tom's and when he couldn't stop talking about Dice Masters I decided I should pay attention. And boy am I hooked! I actually haven't approached my wife about playing DM--she probably would play but generally prefers to stick to board games she already knows if it's only two player--but my oldest daughter loves rolling the dice and deciding what to do, seeing if she can beat Dad.

I'm new here, but figured I'd chime in. I'm a 33 year old stay at home dad who designs board games and published RPG modules freelance style. I picked up DM after the folks at my LGS started buying it like hot cakes. Turns out though, none of them were CCGers, and are mostly board gamers. I just knew I could take my 20(?) Years of experience with magic and other games to spice up the scene. Started my collection by borrowing a starter and drafting DnD. My first three games of DM were three straight wins, leaving me with 10 packs of UxM, and two promos for taking top spot in my 6 man pod.

Hoping to grow the scene down here in Tampa/Brandon FL, and who knows, maybe TRP can come visit... For the weather.

Shadow, that's awesome. Are there any parts of MtG basic strategy that you feel are applicable to DM that haven't been fully understood yet?

I'm 32 and my wife and I have our first baby daughter - she's nearly 2. I work at a church doing arts & media as well as counseling. It's nice to meet the folks behind the avs.

I'm 27, by trade I'm a CDAC provider (basically get paid to take care of the elderly), have played guitar for almost 15 years - in between bands right now so have no current music to show but if you enjoy black metal or ambient noise I could probably find some old stuff I worked on. I used to play the WoW TCG, when that game died I decided to look for something to fill that gap and heard about Dice Masters pretty early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Hoping to grow the scene down here in Tampa/Brandon FL, and who knows, maybe TRP can come visit... For the weather.
    This makes me laugh a lot. I live in Brandon, MB and our newsroom will get calls about your area every so often. Or, we try to find information on something in town, and we always get yours. Glad to finally know of someone from there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Shadow, that's awesome. Are there any parts of MtG basic strategy that you feel are applicable to DM that haven't been fully understood yet?
    Having watched some of the worlds play, I think much of the MtG mindset has carried through, but I haven't seen any pure control teams yet. However, Dice masters is different that way, because you can bring layered strategy teams and not have to build a deck solely on one strategy.

Then, when you see the strategy that others are bringing, you buy what it takes to counter their fastest strategy, hope it is able to handle their mid game, and out race their late game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Having watched some of the worlds play, I think much of the MtG mindset has carried through, but I haven't seen any pure control teams yet. However, Dice masters is different that way, because you can bring layered strategy teams and not have to build a deck solely on one strategy.

Then, when you see the strategy that others are bringing, you buy what it takes to counter their fastest strategy, hope it is able to handle their mid game, and out race their late game.
    I'd tend to agree there. I think part of what hurts controlling builds is that efficient play is rewarded in deckbuilders more than anything else, and this is a deckbuilder at its heart. Control in this game needs survivability + inevitability and perhaps Constantine will finally grant that.

I'm 38 and my wife and I have five children between 16 and 7 years old. I live in a small town outside of Portland, OR where I work from home doing software programming. I love living in the beautiful northwest and enjoy fly fishing, hiking, and camping when I get the chance.

Other lifestyle games I play and enjoy include X-Wing and Krosmaster: Arena.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    33 yo Director of Pharmacy for an orthopedic hospital in the Akron, OH area. TRP Randy actually got me into DM IRL, and I have been totally hooked from roll 1. My wife and I have 3 girls, 2, 4, and 6. I'm also a full time grad student for a couple more months. Busy busy, but I suppose that's part of why I like the break that DM provides...

Looks like I'm the youngest one here so far! I'm 24, I live in Roch, New York by myself (soon to be with my fiancÚ) and I work in manufacturing. I got introduced to this game through a co-worker, and proceeded to stop playing magic in favor of this game. I am a control player at heart, and I tend to agree that we still are missing some elements of control to help power through some of the more aggressive styles of decks. My favorite thing about this game is how cheap it tends to be (certain exceptions obviously Gobby and Tsarina). I'm trying to get my LGS built up at the moment. We have around 5 people per tournament but we are starting to see more new players so that's something! I am the only competitive player in my area which is frustrating.

If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend is 21, so as of now, she would be the youngin'. What a whippersnapper she is.

(I actually showed my brother-in-law this game, and he got me to try MTG. I don't see myself playing it too much, but at least I can appreciate the game now.)

As for the inexpensive nature of the game, I totally agree. Although I have spent a lot of money trying to get caught up, I'll still have spent much less than I ever did on HeroClix.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    ...Although I have spent a lot of money trying to get caught up, I'll still have spent much less than I ever did on HeroClix.
    Quoted for TRUTH.

32 year old in Olympia, WA. Married to my high school crush with three kids (6 yo daughter, 4 yo boy-girl twins) and a fourth (a daughter) on the way (was due Tuesday, so I'm spending a lot of time on TRP to keep myself distracted!).

When I'm not playing DM or wrangling kids, I'm an attorney. I also volunteer on a lot of different non-profit boards, mostly dedicated to underprivileged families and children.

The only other game I am "in to" right now is D&D Attack Wing. Just picked it up at the beginning of the month and it is loads of fun. More strategy, but less highly skilled flight maneuvers needed, than X-Wing. Do yourself a favor and throw more money at WizKids by trying it out.

I'm a 17 y/o high school junior in Northeast Indiana. I actually picked up dice masters as a new game to try out since I've slowly been growing detached from the Pokemon TCG, which I played competitively for 7 years now. Some of the guys in my Pokemon league were talking about DM and I figured I would try it out and pre-ordered the DC starter + 9 packs. I couldn't wait and bought the DnD starter the next weekend, eventually dropping more money on packs, and then an AvX starter and a UXM Gravity Feed. I think one of the biggest pulls to DM for me is how it's relatively cheap for a competitive game. In Pokemon, most competitive decks are $200-500 to be "decent," and way more to be "good." With sets rotating so quickly and the format growing relatively frustrating and stale, I just have no interest in it anymore. Dice masters is a cheap(er) substitute. Packs being $1 are a huge plus. I also like how a lot of cards are relatively viable in their own setting. Whereas in Pokemon, roughly only 10-20% of each set sees widespread competitive play.

As far as myself, I work at Bob Evans as a host and I like it quite a bit. I also used to play HeroClix locally, but that got really costly really quickly. I basically grew up in a comic shop down the street from home because my dad worked there, so I have a strong affinity towards comics and superheroes.

Ok so I am playing the upstart newbie that has no real business here but wants to join in.
    29 and from the UK. Id be more specific but considering my country is half the size of your states ill stay quiet.
    i teach maths (not math) For a living anf have played various tcg and ccg since the early 2000's. Cutting my teeth on yugioh and other japanese card games before hitting mtg super hard.
    Ive only ever really been a casual player with a hell of a record for my local store but never had the bottle to go for any serious competition.
    a friend got me UXM for xmas as a joke and turns out we are all hooked on it now.
    tldr: im in England. Come visit!

Not everyone here is amazing at this game. (Case in point, me.)

Welcome aboard!

Howdy Folks...Meatman here...

I'm 35 years old and live in Ontario, Canada. I've worked in the supply chain and distribution field for food companies my whole adult life so far, currently working at a major meat/protien company based in Toronto...hence the moniker. I play guitar and love music...also a big sports fan, primarily baseball and hockey...yes I'm Canadian after all (Go Habs Go!). I'm married with a 2 year old son...can't wait to teach him Dice Masters someday.

I've only recently gotten into The game...I discovered it through my Bro in Law about 2 months ago, who is on a big board gaming kick lately. I was a big Xmen comic book fan in my teenage years, and I've been looking for a new hobby to get into recently, so the game appealed to me immediately. I went out that night and bought a few UXM boosters, which started the obsession and I havent looked back since. I'm in the Hamilton area, just outside of Toronto...there are quite a few FLGS shops around here, but there doesn't seem to be much of a DM community at all, I'm going to try to do something about that in the near future. I'd also like to try my hand at some DM webcam gaming eventually.

The Reserve Pool is a fantastic resource and has been a lot of fun so far. Thanks for all the work you guys do...if the game keeps growing and becomes something huge someday, it will be because of dedicated fans like yourselves! Rock On!

Hey, I appreciate the thought, but it would be because of people like all of you who use the site and talk and get us thinking. That's how we all get better.

MeatMan: Feel free to add some of us on Google Hangouts and join the conversations. Lots of fun, lots of learning so far. It's been a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hey, I appreciate the thought, but it would be because of people like all of you who use the site and talk and get us thinking. That's how we all get better.
    Well, we both deserve credit then. You guys for facilitating and stimulating the conversation, and us guys for participating and spreading the word. Here is to Dice Masters! May the future be bright!

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    MeatMan: Feel free to add some of us on Google Hangouts and join the conversations. Lots of fun, lots of learning so far. It's been a blast!
    Thanks for the invite RJ. I will likely take you up on this sometime soon. I've never used Hangouts before, so maybe I'll PM you for a bit of help getting started.