Thread: What does it mean to build a team around a character?

What does it mean to build a team around a character?

Every so often I see a post where someone is building a team based around one character. What does that mean? I can find example if needed but it's pretty common.
    are you finding other characters that would help triggers that one characters abilities?

Essentially, yes. Though usually when somebody is referring to building around a character they're normally talking about a specific synergy between characters.

One example is the Pyro/Manticore synergy. You could say you're building the team around one or the other, but you're really building around those two specifically and tailoring everything else to supplement those particular cards. In this case you're triggering the Manticore's ability of 'Whenever you roll Bolt-Bolt on a dice and don't reroll, deal 2 damage to a character or player' and Pyro's global of 'Bolt, draw two dice and roll them. Keep any single Bolt faces rolled.' I'm sure you know this team. But yes, you are essentially building everything else around that specific synergy.

Quick answer, yes. You're taking what people call the 'core' of a team and then just supplementing it with other characters and spells until they believe it to be in the most optimal state. It's kind of an integral part of deckbuilding.

A good example, for me, of this is a team I have started to put together around the Rainbow Draft Weekend Iron Fist:

I've not yet settled on a definite team or selection of cards, but I can talk a little about my process.

So, let's take the two parts of his ability separately:

The first I think is the easiest part of his ability to see synergies for, and I think it is the part most people latch on to when looking at his card:
    While Iron Fist is active, reduce damage from opposing character's abilities by 1.
    There is a clear, and obvious, synergy here with Captain America Super Soldier:

So that was an easy include.

But, the second part of his ability is, for me, the more interesting part:
    When Iron Fist is KO'd, you may move a die with purchase cost 5 or more from your Used Pile to your Prep Area.
    We have one key condition upon which this ability will trigger:
    • Iron Fist must be KOd.

So Blue Eyes White Dragon Monstrous Dragon was my next easy include:

Because his global (a) gives cost mitigation (more on that in a moment), and (b) allows me to KO Iron Fist on demand.

There are also some hard limits as to what cards will synergise well with this ability:
    • Must be a character.
    • Must have a purchase cost of 5 or more.

So, I pulled my binders off my shelf and just started pulling out cards that fit within those limits.

Now, I'm not going to list them all here, but, I ended up with a not too large pile of cards, of which perhaps half a dozen stood out as potential win-conditions.

So then I started to look at support cards, and asking myself some common team-building questions:

• Even with Blue Eyes' help, I'm going to need ramp to buy that big dude early enough to be fully effective, so do I go with PXG, or Swarm?
    • What threats are there to my chosen win-con(s)?
    • How do I mitigate against those threats?
    • How do I ensure consistency over turns 1 through 3, before my ramp has fully kicked in?
    • Do I need an alternate win-con in case my primary one gets shut down?

I have answered some of those questions, others are still somewhat open.

And, so, the stage I am at right now is looking for opportunities to test out these different options, see which work well, which not so well, and to then narrow down the choices and focus in on a team I feel I can win with consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    Time for another vid, Scorpion!
    I wish.

My main Hangouts playing buddy quit the game.

And I just don't seem to have the time, to sit waiting for people to maybe play, any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I wish.

My main Hangouts playing buddy quit the game.

And I just don't seem to have the time, to sit waiting for people to maybe play, any more.

what? you dont play at all anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    what? you dont play at all anymore?
    I do still play, occasionally. Maybe once a month, if I'm lucky.

And, I am looking to try to grow a more regular opportunity to play in the near future, if I can.

But I don't play anywhere near as often as I once did.

A little late, but essentially, it's one way of team building. You get a card, that you really like (theme, flavor text, character, or ability) and decide that you really want this character on a team. From that point you begin to build around the character. Hence, to build a team around a character.

For example, when Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant came out, villain teams popped everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    A little late, but essentially, it's one way of team building. You get a card, that you really like (theme, flavor text, character, or ability) and decide that you really want this character on a team. From that point you begin to build around the character. Hence, to build a team around a character.

For example, when Black Manta - Deep Sea Deviant came out, villain teams popped everywhere.
    never too late. I like hearing everyone's perspective.

Scorpion, I feel for ya. I'm lucky I have 5 of us at home that love playing. sorry to rub it in, lol.

As a relative noob myself there are a small number of key characters I can think of off the top my head that I've observed commonly used as "characters to build teams around" in the manner the other guys have described in terms of a starting point to grow a synergistic team from. Some examples to nosy at I've seen builds around I could specifically mention:

Ant-Man for his A/D global partnered up with high defence characters
    Human Torch - Johnny Storm for his direct damage potential partnered up with, say, a Cyclops - Field Leader or a Hulk - Jade a Giant
    Characters that force attacks (Mr Fantastic or Phoenix)partnered up with Thicket Basilisk-style characters like Gamorra or the Uncommon Venom

Like Scorpion & Bahamut said - you kind of clock a character with a game text that intrigues you and get the ball rolling from there. ��

And you can come up with some fun new teams by basing it around one character. I just picked up the rare Flame Swordsman and I am tempted to do something with that.