Thread: Undead Speculation

Undead Speculation

First off, I am well aware that Wizkids has already stated that the Undead classification is only in D&D and that the Marvel Zombies and DC Black Lanterns are not considered Undead. This is just speculation and friendly discussion.

When people choose one way over the other, I always wonder why. In this case I would have to guess that the Dwarf Cleric may be the reason, but would his cards become too Over Powering if all of the above counted as Undead, as thematically I believe they should. Here are his cards:

and the promo has the abilities of experience and "Once per turn, while Dwarf Cleric is Active, after you declare blockers, you may choose one of your blockers. Prevent all damage dealt to that blocker this turn."

Examining the three with undead related abilities, are these all that OP when used against Zombies or Black Lanterns? Not really. All the Zombies and BLs have easy counters with actions or John Stewart. Magneto Magnetic Monster gets around the instant KO of the cost 3 Dwarf.

I am not expecting Wizkids to retcon their ruling at all, but does anyone else believe that Undead, Zombie, and Black Lanterns (which are stated to be undead in their comics lol) should be treated as the same?

Nope.

The D&D set has various mechanics that are unique to that set.

I like that, and I hope it stays that way.

I think it has a bit more to do with Product ownership than anything else. WotC, Marvel and DC are probably trying to keep some distinctness amongst their sets. Then again, there's Dragons, villains and the overlap of other mechanics like Overcrush and Regenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Then again, there's Dragons, villains and the overlap of other mechanics like Overcrush and Regenerate.
    I know right? Lol. It just seems odd to me when this particular example is thematic across the board. I get the limitations on the adventurers XP mechanic as that could become overpowering quickly, but this one just always was odd in my eyes.

Undead does not equal zombie which does not equal black lantern

they're very very close, but not 100% equal

like, what makes something undead in the DnD universe is definitely not the same mechanic that activates someone becoming a Black Lantern

I'm not as sure about the Marvel Zombies as I'm not really a big "zombie" person and never really cared to, but I imagine those zombies which I think are infected with the "z-virus" are different than what I imagine are like, spellcasters summoning the dead to rise again or something in DnD

like, whatever power the Cleric might have over a DnD zombie isn't going to work against someone with a Black Lantern Ring, or someone infected with the specific "Z-Virus"

I'm just having fun with this at this point

Slapster, the Black Lanterns were indeed zombies, or undead, as they were raised by the magical force of death similar to a necromancer. Lol, this is why I was confused at not connecting these different versions. The Marvel Zombies were the heroes and villains infected by a super zombie virus that only affected them.

Aside all that, I get trying keep certain things separate, but this was one that quite frankly perplexed me as they all share the same theme regardless of origin. And I can't think of any mechanical reason not to, which is why i threw this speculation out there. Just puzzling, than again, I come from games that encourage mixing and don't have limitations.
    Last edited by bahamut7; 11-11-2015 at 03:42 PM.

I'm no expert on DC Black Lanterns, Marvel Zombies, or D&D Undead, but from what reading I have done on those subjects it seems that, whilst they have surface similarities, they are very different types of entities from each other.

D&D Undead are more than just Zombies, and Skeletons, for example, but include such things as Ghosts, Wraiths, and various spirit beings that are not simply reanimated corpses.

They are also from entirely different universes and so there is no reason why seemingly similar things should share anything more than mere appearance.

The real thing that matters here, is whether or not Marvel Zombies will get something that ties them together and supports them properly. I want a zombie character that supports other characters with the Zombie affiliation, like a purchase cost reduction or something. And, of course, even more Black lanterns to choose from and build with would be great for me, since I can't stop thinking about playing the list I built more and more.

Actually, is Zombie Loki ever a thing? I wouldn't mind more options to use with Loki's Scepter from AoU.

Also, I just did a google search and found a list of a ton of Black Lanterns. They really did cherry pick the characters people actually know. I'm not a comic book guy of course, but I've really never heard of these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    The real thing that matters here, is whether or not Marvel Zombies will get something that ties them together and supports them properly. I want a zombie character that supports other characters with the Zombie affiliation, like a purchase cost reduction or something. And, of course, even more Black lanterns to choose from and build with would be great for me, since I can't stop thinking about playing the list I built more and more.

Actually, is Zombie Loki ever a thing? I wouldn't mind more options to use with Loki's Scepter from AoU.

Also, I just did a google search and found a list of a ton of Black Lanterns. They really did cherry pick the characters people actually know. I'm not a comic book guy of course, but I've really never heard of these characters.
    Oh yea, there were thousands of Black lanterns if I remember correctly. Any Alternate world versions of our heroes, fallens heroes, their loved ones, etc. A very dark ark...and all because Batman (the real one) was "killed off" (sent into the past by Darkseid's omega beams). Can't even give the guy some time off without everything going to heck. Lol.

You are correct Scorpion, Undead in the D&d universe do include spirits, wraiths, and other entities born in the shadowfell. I just still wish they hadn't limited it, because it would have increased D&D's available pool of cards that are usable in unlimited. I wish all the sets cards played well unlimited, but it can't be avoided in some cases.