Size:  23.9 KBName:  105758.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  26.9 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3942

This build, in my opinion, is already outdated by my latest incarnation, but it DID go 3-0 at the last locals event so it's still worth sharing.

The old build can be found here, but please don't necrobump the thread so this section doesn't get clogged up. It's the rule!

Only 2 changes were made in this new version.

First, SR Black Lantern Wonder Woman has been replaced with the much more effective chase Black Lantern Wonder Woman, courtesy of the lovely @IndecisionKills . Now all 4 are rightfully full art and look absolutely amazing.

Second, SR Lantern battery has been replaced by rare Thousand Dragon, making purchases of The Outsider and Millenium puzzle much easier. Thanks to this and BEWD global, getting my BAC's in the first 2 turns is easy, and I have more dice left to maintain the ramp needed to grab some Black Lanterns.

Now, what makes this interesting is a play I came across for the first time, during round 2 of the night. On turn 3, my bag was completely empty and had to be refilled so I could draw. Thanks to PXG, only 3 dice were left in the used pile, 2 Outsider BAC's and 1 sidekick die. 1 sidekick die was on the field. Since I couldn't draw 4 dice, I lost 1 life and gained 1 generic energy. 2 sidekick dice were on the field. I rolled 8 dice and ended up getting double generic energy on both outsider BAC's, and a minimum of 1 of each type of energy from my sidekick dice, triggering my BL SuperBat globals. All the sidekicks came up energy by the way. At this point, I have have +1 generic from my draw, +2 generic from my globals, and +4 generic from my BAC's, giving me a whopping total of 7 generic energy to play with. combined with the 6 sidekick dice that turned up energy, I have 13 energy this turn. Thanks to having 2 bolts, I was able to use BEWD global to KO a sidekick and reduce the purchase cost of wonder woman by 2, and bought her with 4 generic and 1 shield energy.

I still have 7 energy at this point, and since a lot was generic I decided to splurge and bought Black Lantern Aquaman with the remainder. The following turn, my draws and The Outsider BAC's allowed me to field Aquaman, followed up the next turn by Wonder Woman, and they were too much to handle, securing the win.

Essentially, buying two 7 cost Black Lantern characters on your third turn is not only possible, but is a very viable strategy. I can confirm this after further playtesting allowed me to repeat this combo multiple times. Sometimes a Batman would get purchased instead of Aquaman though, if only because I needed the bolt for BEWD global.

While the tournament went very well for this team, there are a few things that I should mention to put this success into context and avoid the possibility of this being overblown: I went first all 3 rounds, I did not play against a prismatic spray, and I did not play against a fast burn team. Those last 2 points are important. While this list is strong in terms of raw power and has lots of potential, I think it will be held back by a few glaring problems:

First, it has no answer to prismatic spray, and struggles with strong removal options. Any control team worth it's salt should be able to dispatch of the chosen Black Lantern quickly and use the time it earns to establish field presence. A well times prismatic spray is difficult at best to recover from as well. If you go second and get sprayed on your opponent's third turn before you can pxg, you might as well scoop.

Second, burn is a problem. Most burn lists aren't a big deal because they require some sort of setup, but Gobby burn is very problematic. Buying BL Aquaman to unpurchase their gobby's isn't bad, but needs to be done quickly. This can be dealt with, but I'll get into that a bit later. While it's technically it's own issue, sidekick walls can also stall you out and prevent you from hitting for lethal.

Finally, distraction is a real problem. The list in it's above incarnation struggles to get past distraction. Since you only field 1 to 4 characters at a maximum (usually 2 is the most you will need though) it's easy for your opponent to stall for time, even in a position that is impossible for them to win. It just eats up valuable time you could be using to play more games of Dicemasters! This however, can also be dealt with.

Changes that fix some of the problems have already been tested though, and they're testing well. I'll list them out here for you now.

Cards that have come OUT:

Thousand Dragon R
    Millenium Puzzle UC
    Resurrection BAC

Cards that have gone IN:

Red Dragon SR
    Doomcaliber Knight UC/Human Paladin C
    Magic Missile BAC

Space is quite tight, so Doomcaliber Knight/Human Paladin is basically a meta call. You can't fit both, so you have to allow yourself to be weak to something. Doomcaliber's global saves you from distraction, while Paladin's global helps minimize large amounts of burn damage. My personal choice is Doomcaliber though, because it tends to deal with more local problems. Paladin global might come from behind and win though, especially if Wizkids ever bothers to give us an official ruling on the Rare Lantern Ring: Limited only by boring burn :P

Since puzzle had to come out, Red Dragon SR fills a nice niche by allowing the list to get some early damage in. You usually by 2 Outsider BAC's, so you'll hit for 2 damage early on. This is significant because of the huge stats on the Black Lanterns, getting 2 extra damage in makes it much easier to close out a game.

Lastly, magic missile replacing Resurrection sounds crazy, but hear me out on this. Most of the time, I've never used Resurrection in my games. It's never been needed because of The Outsider doing it's job better. Sidekicks and walls of weenie characters continue to be annoying little pests that block my undead legion. The global on magic missile allowing me to ping my opponent's characters away is incredibly useful. Not to mention you could actually buy one of the dice and use it to beat your opponent if you're stalled out on a BL Wonder Woman and need a little more damage in before you can swing for game. Combined with Red Dragon SR doing them an additional damage on the purchase, I'm sold on this choice.

While it is not the one that went 3-0 at the event, this is the current list in picture form, and I really like the progress I've made so far:

Name:  143.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  34.5 KBName:  145.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  39.3 KBName:  $_35.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  23.9 KBName:  105758.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  26.9 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3942:

Retrobox link here

Feel free to share any thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions in the comments. I've said it before, but I'll happily repeat myself: This is by far my favourite team in the entire game to play. I'm glad it was possible to make these cards that were deemed powerful but mostly unusable or awkward into a functioning team, and I'm especially glad that I can have so much fun playing it. I highly encourage other people to try it out if you can assemble the cards needed. It's entirely possible to beat an entire team with a single Black Lantern Wonder Woman. She is definitely the strongest of her corps, at least in a Dicemasters sense!

PS: I'd really appreciate some images of the chase black lanterns, as well as the outsider BAC available through the colon codes, it's really awkward trying to format the pictures in a way that fits. If anyone has the scans, send them to Ken asap!

The Outsider had already been scanned and sent, but I don't think it's been uploaded yet. If you want to send me a few spare Chases I'll gladly get them scanned as well

Out of curiousity, what made you choose Thousand Dragon over Red Dragon in the first place? I would think going just off the Globals that RD is strictly better unless you're worried about it being used against you.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    The Outsider had already been scanned and sent, but I don't think it's been uploaded yet. If you want to send me a few spare Chases I'll gladly get them scanned as well

Out of curiousity, what made you choose Thousand Dragon over Red Dragon in the first place? I would think going just off the Globals that RD is strictly better unless you're worried about it being used against you.
    Early acces to millenium puzzle at a cheaper cost. Red essentially reduces the cost of puzzle to a bolt, a shield, and 2 energy. Thousand can reduce it to 2 bolts and a shield.

You want to spend as little energy as possible on fluff so you can maximize the amount available for black lanterns and globals. For example, thousand dragon made it possible to buy a black lantern and a millenium puzzle on turn 3, while still having some leftover. That 1 extra energy you save can be critical when working with 7 costs.

Ah, I keep forgetting that RD is once per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frubzors View Post
    Not really much to contribute. Just want to say that this team looks pretty cool. And I definitely plan on trying it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    team looks good.
    Thanks!

Its awesome man, I've been playing a slight variation, but your setup is great so far, just need the last full art that is superman myself to really further concuct ideas with the new set.
    Last edited by Arxmin; 11-18-2015 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaRaLee View Post
    Nice team but i find it hard against all out big entrance combos
    Yep. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to stop it without crippling the list in some way. For now, I just accept it as in inherent weakness. One option is to change your buy order and field more sidekicks while loading up on more Black lantern characters. It's tough and requires some luck sometimes if you are dealing with a top tier rush team, but is possible to win.

Here's a variant I'm playing with: BL Aquaman, Superman, and Batman. Rare Wasp, Super rare Tsarina, Morphing Jar, Prof X, Uncommon Lyssa Drax. If question marks count for the energy globals on Superman and Batman it isn't that difficult to come up with seven energy, and the Wasp and Tsarina keep your opponent off-balance. Lyssa is there to counter really difficult cards, and the Jar is there to provide cheap masks in case you have an extra mask to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by colwarden View Post
    Question: for the energy globals, do question marks count, or do they all have to be "natural" energy?
    No, is not a "type" of energy. It can stand in place of any of the types when paying costs, but not when counting symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by colwarden View Post
    Here's a variant I'm playing with: BL Aquaman, Superman, and Batman. Rare Wasp, Super rare Tsarina, Morphing Jar, Prof X, Uncommon Lyssa Drax. If question marks count for the energy globals on Superman and Batman it isn't that difficult to come up with seven energy, and the Wasp and Tsarina keep your opponent off-balance. Lyssa is there to counter really difficult cards, and the Jar is there to provide cheap masks in case you have an extra mask to spend.
    As PK pointed out, they do not count towards the energy globals.

Just remember that if you field BL Aquaman or BL Wonder Woman, your opponent will be able to get rid of your non-Black Lantern characters too. In this case, only Aquaman, but it can still happen. BL Batman might also begin to hurt a little bit if you are trying to buy into your tsarinas or jars.