Thread: Redirect and Storm Weather Witch

Redirect and Storm Weather Witch

So... I just read this:
    "Other powers redirect a game effect (usually damage). When an effect is redirected, the
    target of the effect changes from its original target to the new one chosen as described in
    the game text, even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect. The source of
    the effect remains unchanged from the original." - D&D Rulebook pg 19

And we are aware of what Storm - Weather Witch's global does:
    "Global: Pay [1 Mask] . Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice."

So.... Options:

Casualties: Basic Action Card
    2 cost
    "KO target Sidekick.
    ** KO an additional target Sidekick if able.
    Global: Pay or . Gain 1 life whenever an opposing Sidekick is KO'd this turn."

Play casualties, use Weather Witch to redirect the effect from a sidekick to ANY CHARACTER DIE.
    This strategy also works with Mirror Force: Basic Action Card, the difference is just a choice of globals.

Vibranium Shield: Cap's Protection
    5 Shield
    "Place this die touching your target character. It does not go to your used pile. You may place this die in the used pile at any time to prevent all damage to the character for the rest of the turn.
    Global: Pay to prevent 1 damage to a character or player."

Play this targeting your ... anything, then redirect it to you opponent's Green Goliath to prevent him from going off with the Hulk-splosion.

These were the options I found, got any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    So... I just read this:
    Play this targeting your ... anything, then redirect it to you opponent's Green Goliath to prevent him from going off with the Hulk-splosion.
    Arguably, one could even redirect the Shield between multiple Hulks if you opponent tries to swing in with one of them to send the shield to the used pile. Timing is good on this thing too, "at any time". Can even be used in response to your opponent's global activation to ping the Hulk.

Wow. Interesting. I'd like to see confirmation from WizKids that this can work but if it does that allows for some pretty nifty stuff. The one problem with her is that you can be trading masks to bounce something from one place to another. It could come down to who has that last mask if your opponent chooses to fight it.

I would send in a rules post, but I'm still waiting for them to answer my question about Epic Red Dragon's ability and Continuous, Equipment and otherwise fielded action die. If I duplicate Imprisoned for example, what happens.

"While active, once per turn when you use an action die effect, you may use a second copy of its effect."

I've had so many questions about Storm's ability that I've submitted, too.

I think it does create an interesting way to utilize action dice that hasn't previously been considered. I have to wonder if it's a little too wonky to actually work. It's awfully mask hungry. But it's quite intriguing!

I would venture a guess that the quoted rule exists as a catch-all for potential situations where some kind of redirect must occur and there are no otherwise legal targets or a legal target somehow becomes illegal (which I don't think there are any cards that exist where this could happen, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). For example, let's say Nova - Bucket Head's ability said "must" instead of "may." Now let's say Nova and a Lord of D. are the only characters in play. Nova takes damage, he must redirect that damage to another character, Lord of D. is the only thing in the field but otherwise would not be a legal target. Since Nova must redirect the damage to something, and D. is the only thing in play, D. eats the damage.

That's the kind of scenario I'm assuming that rules text exists for. I'm betting that if WK were to rule on this, it would be that Storm's global could only redirect casualties from one sidekick to another sidekick - i.e. if there is only one sidekick in play then Storm's global can't even activate in the first place. Similarly Vibranium Shield could only be redirected from one of its owner's dice to another of its owner's dice.

Of course, I now fully expect to see WK rule the other way.

e: the other thing with Storm's global is the fact that the rules explicitly state that unless otherwise specified, game effects can only target dice that are in the field. So can Storm's global redirect Polymorph from one die in the used pile to another die in the used pile? Those dice aren't in the field. Similarly, can Storm's global redirect the target of the common Limited Wish?

What I would like to know is if I can redirect damage by splitting it to hit 2 targets. Like if my opponent used Fire Breath 2 is it legal for me to use her Global to do 1 damage to 2 different opponent characters or locked into one target taking all redirected damage?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Good question, vonVile, but breath weapon doesn't "target" as it were. There are some wonky things about weather witch, as Dave noted, but I think there is some utility too. (this despite the fact that I was on the other side of the fence a week ago)

Wait, wait, wait...you mean that UXM Storm could become USEFUL as more than a Cebrebro bearer in UXM draft?!?!? Whaaaaaaaaaaa?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Honestly, she might just be ramp disruption for both players and thus not really worthwhile. I haven't seen or used her in a game where she contributed (at all, let alone materially) to victory.

How does this or does this have the ability to effect polymorph. it says swap so does swapping target?

Cards that require you to make a set number of choices, or cards that specifically use the word target do not work on Lord of D. Imprisoned, and Force Beam are two examples of Basic Action Dice that work on Lord of D.

-Quote from the rules team about Lord of D.

I take that as: anything that makes you choose at least one character = target

OK but here is the timing question my opponent plays polymorph targets a pawn and swaps it with hulk. During my priority I can spend two masks and select my pawn and one of my characters? Or Can I spend one mask and swap his pawn for my character on my side?

Has anyone seen more info or answers for this question above?

Ok the terminus of text is written in the rule book: Page 21 "Preventing and Redirecting":
    "even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect". Thats we all know, and Doomcaliber and Lord of D Ring let make it puff to hot air and wasted energy for the opponent.
    But after this, the following sentence in this section is "The source of the effect remains unchanged from the original."

So the question is, what is "original" ment to be here? Because it says clearly, that the used card for the action/ or whatever stays like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Ok the terminus of text is written in the rule book: Page 21 "Preventing and Redirecting":
    "even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect". Thats we all know, and Doomcaliber and Lord of D Ring let make it puff to hot air and wasted energy for the opponent.
    But after this, the following sentence in this section is "The source of the effect remains unchanged from the original."

So the question is, what is "original" ment to be here? Because it says clearly, that the used card for the action/ or whatever stays like it is.

I knock out a Villain. Mr. Sinister (a character) deals 1 damage to me. I use Iron Man's Global to redirect the damage to Bishop. The source of the damage is still Mr. Sinister, so Bishop takes no damage.

Yes if it is this way, an Illegal Target can be targetted but nothing happens afterwards (like Ring of Magnetism on Hulk Jade Giant). And thats how i would rule it out.