Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the most you have spent on an individual card?

What's the most you have spent on an individual card?

I've been looking at some of the rare/super rare cards that you can find on eBay, and there are a couple I've thought about getting (Namor, Imperius Rex because he's my favourite character for example) but I'm curious after looking at many teams.

I see Slifer, Nick Fury, Tsarina, Gobby, etc. and wonder how many of you had to buy 'em off the eBays or something.

Last summer I bought a bunch of AvX singles (from Cool Stuff Inc). Honestly, most of them were uncommons since there were supply issues and i just wanted things like uncommon Human Torch and Magneto with no way to buy boosters locally.

Other than that, I purchased rare Slifer. I knew as soon as I saw the card that it needed to be on my competetive constructed team.

I also spent about $23 to purchase a complete set of YGO commons and uncommons. I may be doing the same thing with DC when that comes out.

Ther are one or two that I've gotten as singles like that but mostly I've done well enough from gravity feeds that it's been ok. Each set, though, I sort of mark out a few cards that I'll buy if I don't pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I also spent about $23 to purchase a complete set of YGO commons and uncommons. I may be doing the same thing with DC when that comes out.
    Yeah, that's how much I spent before shipping. Sadly, that adds on another $12. Not to mention the dollar hurts a lot too. Hah.

Too much! I bought this exact card to be able to do the scan for the website.

But that probably doesn't count because I then sold it at a small profit.

I'm in the school that if I don't have a particular card, I'll just buy another gravity with an eye toward selling my extras as sets on eBay. I haven't executed on this eBay selling thing though, so it's mostly theoretically at this point.

I spent about $6 on a set of the AvX OP Basic Action Cards.

...that's it. :-P

If I don't pull Constantine, I'll buy him. Probably. Gotta see how the counters hurt him. He looks great but could be solved before we really get to see.

I haven't gotten a tsarina yet, is it worth it to buy one for $65 if I can get one for that?

She's one of the best two drops at this point. She fits in to a lot of teams even if she's not the main event.

I can't justify a single card for $65. Unless you are planning to go to a bunch of national tournaments.

(I'd rather buy the gravity feeds and sell the doubles/extras on eBay.)

If you're patient and persistent you can get Tsarina on eBay for $50 or less. Gobby for $40 or less. I realize that's still too much for most people, but you don't have to overpay for them.

I've thought about breaking down and grabbing Gobby. I worry that as soon as I get him he'll be irrelevant.

Yeah, same here. Too risky when sets could get banned anytime.

If he were going to be banned it would have happened months ago.

Famous last word maybe.

Sorry, I meant sets entirely. As in, no longer "modern".

They will eventually do that but honestly there aren't near enough cards in the wild to consider that yet.

Based on your experience with other games, how long would you estimate it will take?

Depends on what they think is enough. After two years Netrunner is finally planning to do that but it'll still be some time before anything actually rotates out.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    With or without shipping?
    Those prices include shipping or shipping was free. I tracked every auction from Jan-March.

I bought a Tsarina for $50 and free shipping. That's the only item I've spent more than $20 for. I was lucky enough to crack my Gobby.

I think, even when you count the couple DM singles I've bought, the MtG card Lu Bu, Master-at-arms is the most expensive single card I've ever bought (he's my Commander in my mono red Commander deck). It was somewhere around $15 after shipping.

$0.50.

^_~

But someone's about to buy my SR Flash for at least $26 on eBay. I figure I can always buy him back later; I need the money to move out.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSong View Post
    $0.50.

^_~

But someone's about to buy my SR Flash for at least $26 on eBay. I figure I can always buy him back later; I need the money to move out.
    Someone just bought my SR Black Canary for $26 as well : )