Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Spider-man Rainbow Draft discussion

Amazing Spider-man Rainbow Draft discussion

Hey guys, I did a war of light draft recently and realized we don't have an active discussion for drafting sets. I know we have our weekly draft blog but I think it would be useful to have an ongoing discussion as well. So here we go!

In this discussion we are looking at what the top tier draft variant cards are, what cards you can build around, and what cards to avoid. I have not done an ASM draft yet but for now we can have speculation on what we think may be the best in draft.

So far I'm thinking Black Widow is going to be amazing. With aftershock on all of her rarities and a decently low defense she is going to make your opponent think twice before blocking. If I was going to pick out my favorite amongst her 3 variants, I would say her common is better. She is a 2 cost shield, with an aftershock ability that can do damage even if she isn't going through unblocked. All she would need is a little support from something like enrage, horn of the unicorn, or invulnerability to make sure she either does more damage to your opponent with a direct attack, or pump your opponent's characters so that they knock her out.

There Two Types of Teams i like here:

The Spidy-Friend-Teams and the Individuals/Villains(Note: Some Individuals can fit in spidy teams too)

Individuals:

Silver Sable: You may sacrifice Silver Sable during your Main Step. If you do, target character die is unblockable this turn.
    Get Her! It doesnt matter if there is only one card of her, that is even better. A walking Dimension Door for your characters why not?!!

Blade: Daywalker: Underdog - When fielded, Blade deals 2 damage to target opponent and you gain 2 life.
    A 6-Cost Medium Character? Yes! He give the needed distance to win against enemys that like to Wall up!

Kraven the Hunter: Sergei Kravenoff: When fielded, you may sacrifice a character die to give Kraven +3A until end of turn.
    or
    Kraven the Hunter: Dangerous: When fielded, Kraven deals 2 damage to each opposing spidey friend character die.
    Ok you can just fling a character to the used pile for +3A when you have less characters. Sounds great if you can make him Unblockable somehow(silver sable silver sable...).
    The Other one is a good why to get rid of some Spidy Walls, but be careful with his Allies like Aunt May and Mary J. Sometimes you dont wanna them bring back their Friends.

Vulture: Adrian Toomes: When Vulture blocks, deal 1 damage to each attacking character die. When any character die leaves the Field Zone, Vulture gets +4A until end of turn.
    Such a mighty 4 Cost card! Be careful with Aftershock effects when you block with him. But When you attack -> Silver Sable/Relentless him trough, Stealth Ops works too!

Black Widow: Stinger: Aftershock - Deal 1 damage to target character die or player.
    GRAB HER GRAB HER! 2 Costs for an Offensive/Defensiv Pressure tool to do some damage her. In Draft there is not much what can stop her!

Yup, Black Widow - Stinger and Silver Sable are pretty amazing in limited play. Also the Green Goblin that lets you sac dudes to spin is pretty decent because it allows you to manipulate underdog.

Mono villains are possible thanks to the absolutely excellent Carnage: Insane. Just bring The Outsider BAC and something like Teamwork or ready to rocket for massive damage

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Mono villains are possible thanks to the absolutely excellent Carnage: Insane. Just bring The Outsider BAC and something like Teamwork or ready to rocket for massive damage
    I cannot see why Carnage:Insane is so insane good, i had him and tossed him away for Kingpin (a 7 cost) because when on the field i want to get use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    I cannot see why Carnage:Insane is so insane good, i had him and tossed him away for Kingpin (a 7 cost) because when on the field i want to get use of it.
    Since he gains overcrush with his own ability, you can focus on pumping his attack power, letting you get damage through when opponents wall up. Unlike Betrayal BAC, it's harder to use the strategy against you.

I'm really excited to jump in and draft this set. Tomorrow will be my first. For those who have spent more time than me looking at spoilers, is there decent ramp in this set?

Ramp is going to be more difficult in this set. You're going to have to rely on aftershock abilities and trying to have your opponent attack into your characters, or you could use goblin glider but then you would have to go villains for that to be effective.

I basically used Jade (with Magic Missile) like aftershock in WoL, so that's a familiar approach.

Yeah with this next set best idea might be to use a pumping global to trigger aftershock abilities since only your opponent can trigger it.

I appreciate you pointing-out that distinction! I haven't bought any product yet, so my aftershock knowledge was lacking.

Uncommon Green Goblin+ Uncommon Lizard are a cool combo. GG can sac to field for free or spin up, and Lizard picks a die that can't block him when one of your characters leaves the field in your turn. Won a few games basically just using them. I also had the uncommon Black Cat for some targeted removal.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPezzotta View Post
    Uncommon Green Goblin+ Uncommon Lizard are a cool combo. GG can sac to field for free or spin up, and Lizard picks a die that can't block him when one of your characters leaves the field in your turn. Won a few games basically just using them. I also had the uncommon Black Cat for some targeted removal.
    Did you get the common goblin glider in your bunch?

I got 1, but didn't have to use it because I didn't buy alot of junk and had mysterio global to churn enough

Played with Rare Cloak and Common Dagger last night w/ True Believer. At various points had 2 Cloaks and 2-4 Daggers on board, which made for fun times attacking with all of them and then using TB on whatever things would go unblocked.

Drafted last night, the sable/vulture combo is real. Went 3-0, expect a report soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Went 3-0 last night using Cloak: Tyrone Johnson, Dagger: Tandy Bowen(x2), and Black Widow: Stinger(x3). I had Cone of Cold and Magic Missile for my BAC.
    Super excited to draft this set next week, bringing Big Entrance and Enrage for BA

I really want to try silver sable and vulture. It sounds painful.

Talking about the sable/vulture combo in draft doesn't do it justice. It really is absurd to play with it.

Honestly bringing distraction to one of these drafts would be the best thing you could do depending on how easy that combo is to assemble.

I just got back from our Amazing Spider-Man Draft. I took first place with a team based around Sable and Vulture. I was excited, because I thought that I had discovered this combo last night when looking at the cards from the set. But, well, I see you have beat me to it.

In the last game today, I played against another of the same combo. This player, however, had managed to get two Vultures versus my mono Vulture. For one of his Basic Actions, he brought Transfer Power. I was able to use the Global (Pay Swap the attack value of one of your characters with that of an opposing character) to keep the pain down to 1 each time. I also didn't purchase Vulture in that game, opting instead to use common Black Widow and her aftershock ability (Do 1 damage to a character die or player), Sable, and vanilla Scarlet Spider to win.

I think a way to stop unblockable characters is absolutely necessary going forward with drafts from these sets. Distraction is the obvious choice, but Transfer Power/Mystic Box worked well (as long as you have more than your opponent), and Vicious Struggle are two possible answers. If you are stuck in set for your Basic Actions, however, this may be the new Cheetah/Firestorm.

Talking about the sable/vulture combo in draft doesn't do it justice. It really is absurd to play with it.
    If you can get the uncommon GGolbin, he gives you a way to fuel Vulture too. Just sacrifice a character to trigger more Vulture buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    If you can get the uncommon GGolbin, he gives you a way to fuel Vulture too. Just sacrifice a character to trigger more Vulture buffs.
    This sounds like a good way to start a debate about how many times Vulture's effect can trigger. Of course, I say this before both sides can rush in and say there is no way to interpret the text in any other way but the way the read it.

If vulture gains multiple buffs, I agree, you could easily lob a hulk out on him and hit for massive damage with a simple combo.

If he doesn't, I still agree, you you could easily lob a hulk out on him and hit for massive damage with a simple combo.

WKRF pls.

This sounds like a good way to start a debate about how many times Vulture's effect can trigger. Of course, I say this before both sides can rush in and say there is no way to interpret the text in any other way but the way the read it.

If vulture gains multiple buffs, I agree, you could easily lob a hulk out on him and hit for massive damage with a simple combo.

If he doesn't, I still agree, you you could easily lob a hulk out on him and hit for massive damage with a simple combo.

WKRF pls.
    I think there is room to debate whether multiple things leaving play at the same time trigger his effect multiple times, but if you use GGoblin once, remove die, again, remove die, and a third time, remove die, Vulture should get +4+4+4.

If you Hulk 3 guys Vulture could get +12 or +4 depending on the aforementioned debate. ( I would err on the side of the casualties global, it is less powerful, so +4)