Thread: Any tips for a draft with only a few people?

Any tips for a draft with only a few people?

Just getting started and this is my first draft. I've read forum posts and blog entries about drafting, but was wondering if anyone had specific tips for drafts with a small number of people. I live in a small town so we don't always get many players.

Any help would be great
    Thanks

Increase the number of packs you draft from, so that you get a good distribution of dice across the characters.

Hardcore players will be there. Would like to give them a run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Qpublik View Post
    Hardcore players will be there. Would like to give them a run for the money.
    Use their known play styles against them.

I've drafted with as few as 3 people. We didn't have wide variety and no one had max dice, BUT there were several viable strategies and combos. With a limited draft it certain forces some interesting and hard choices.

I too echo Scorpion's suggestion to increase the number of packs. It doesn't even have to be that many more- two more packs per person will certainly help.

You could draft with as few as 3 people I agree, otherwise it would make more sense to do sealed for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Increase the number of packs you draft from, so that you get a good distribution of dice across the characters.
    This.

We do a lot of drafts with 3 people, me, my wife and one of my brothers.

We try to draft 20 packs, two sets of 10. It lets you build a fun cohesive team, we have the advantage of just combining all the cards at the end so we don't draft rarity and just draft for good cohesive decks it makes it a lot of fun.

Another way to do this is rare pick post draft.

Say you have 4 players and draft 16 packs. At the end of the tournament place all rares and SR's on the table, the winner can pick one, then the next player, then so on and back to the winner.

This means you don't need to grab all the rares possibly hurting your team instead you build the best team and pick the rares when you win at the end .

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    This.

We do a lot of drafts with 3 people, me, my wife and one of my brothers.

We try to draft 20 packs, two sets of 10. It lets you build a fun cohesive team, we have the advantage of just combining all the cards at the end so we don't draft rarity and just draft for good cohesive decks it makes it a lot of fun.

Another way to do this is rare pick post draft.

Say you have 4 players and draft 16 packs. At the end of the tournament place all rares and SR's on the table, the winner can pick one, then the next player, then so on and back to the winner.

This means you don't need to grab all the rares possibly hurting your team instead you build the best team and pick the rares when you win at the end .
    I like this. Adds a nice spin to the approach.

Anyone that is intending to use @KennedyHawk 's suggestion should make sure that all players know this will be done before the tournament starts.

Many players go in to drafts thinking that it will be ok for them to draft the cards they need for their set, or for them to rarity draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Anyone that is intending to use @KennedyHawk 's suggestion should make sure that all players know this will be done before the tournament starts.

Many players go in to drafts thinking that it will be ok for them to draft the cards they need for their set, or for them to rarity draft.
    Agreed make sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks for all the advice. The Event Organizer suggested that we add packs and I said the guys on the forums recommended to do so as well. He even chipped in for a dummy hand to pass around, he just wanted a rare Wolverine if it came up. Which it did and we gave it to him. After all players added a couple packs each, we looked in the box and there weren’t that many left so we bought the whole box so we knew for sure someone would super rare cards. Everyone wound up with a great assortment to play with and the tourney went well. I came in second out of four. So not bad for my first tourney. And one of the guys gave me his SR Gobby.