Thread: Underdog

Yea, underdog only triggers when you have less on the field than your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I have a quick question about underdog, if I field a character with underdog normally by just paying the cost do you not get to use the ability at all? Like Gwen Stacey Earth 65.. she has a when fielded ability and underdog.
    Underdog is not an ability in and of itself (like Overcrush). Underdog tells you when you are able to use the linked ability: IF you have fewer character dice on the field when Gwen Stacy is fielded, the next SF character is free to field.

Underdog does a similar check to threshold in magic. If the condition is met the ability goes off/is active.

For a when fielded underdog such as Spider-girl mayday. If my opponent has 3 dice, I have 2. I field Spider-girl and she becomes my 3rd dice. Does the "when fielded" take affect before my 3rd dice hits the field? Or does it not trigger because once she's fielded I'm no longer underdog?

The underdog checks while she is in the field so if you have 3 including her and they have 3, then underdog does not trigger.

I believe Underdog would trigger while she is in the process of being fielded, not after.

Or, rather, the Underdog check is made at the point that the 'when fielded' ability would trigger, which is whilst she is being fielded.

How does one check whilst doing something? "I'm fielding this die, I haven't yet, but I intend to. Oh, look, it's almost in the field, but not quite." I don't think that level of timing exists in the game.

I think it does.

My understanding, based on a variety of rules and rulings is that game effects have two parts - their trigger, and their actual resolution.

The trigger may be caused by the payment of a cost, which in and of itself may be a game effect (sacrificing a character, for instance), or another game effect (such as a character leaving the field), and occurs during the resolution of that payment or game effect.

Once triggered, a game effect will always resolve, but only after the payment or game effect that triggered it has fully resolved.

This, I believe, is how a character die can have a "when KO'd" ability even though character die abilities cannot trigger if that character die is not in the field (at the point at which the "when KO'd" ability triggers (during the resolution of the KO effect) the character die is in the field).

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I think it does.

My understanding, based on a variety of rules and rulings is that game effects have two parts - their trigger, and their actual resolution.

The trigger may be caused by the payment of a cost, which in and of itself may be a game effect (sacrificing a character, for instance), or another game effect (such as a character leaving the field), and occurs during the resolution of that payment or game effect.

Once triggered, a game effect will always resolve, but only after the payment or game effect that triggered it has fully resolved.

This, I believe, is how a character die can have a "when KO'd" ability even though character die abilities cannot trigger if that character die is not in the field (at the point at which the "when KO'd" ability triggers (during the resolution of the KO effect) the character die is in the field).
    I understand your thought here, but I think we need to look at Underdog a bit differently. When fielded, we know to resolve after the character is in the field. While you may be right that there is a check before fielding to ensure that costs are paid before resolution, the question also becomes, does Underdog Check here, or does it check throughout the fielding process, before, during and after?

As other Underdog abilities turn on or off depending on the number of characters in the field, I would argue that Underdog would trigger if you had fewer characters before the field, but would also not resolve if putting a character in the field shut off Underdog. So, while technically I agree with your interpretation, I believe the net outcome is different because of the nature of Underdog.

TLDR I think Underdog abilities can only trigger AND resolve if Underdog is still applicable, and thus, Gwen would require you to have 2 less characters than your opponent when you field her to both trigger then resolve.

Look at it like Miri does with the lantern color check. If she includes herself in that check it means when fielded abilities count the character that is fielded as well.

It is a static effect, if you have less dudes, drax has no Fielding cost. Checked before he is fielded, because that is when you pay for it. See the ASM rulebook section on Fielding for free abilities.