Thread: The PDC power nerf

The PDC power nerf

So fellow dice chuckers, I'm here asking if anyone has an OFFICIAL ruling on Lantern Ring: Limited only by Imagination.

One of the local TOs here has said that given the WKs ruling of "take the 'weaker' option" it's possible that the card will be nerfed to a lower power level.

So does anyone have an official site/page/errata I can reference to clear this up? The card is powerful but by no means broken or unbeatable, so I don't see the need to nerf it...

Help?!

Thanks y'all

If your judge is ruling that way you're pretty much screwed until wizkids says different. I'm under the impression it's each character deals damage equal to number of matching energy symbols. For now when it comes to rulings it's going to be different in every area for the most part.

There is NO official ruling yet as to exactly how to calculate the damage LR:LOBI causes to occur.

What we do know for sure is that it imparts an ability on to each attacking character that causes them to deal damage.

Which strongly suggests it is one of two interpretations:

1. Each attacking character deals 1 damage if at least 1 energy matching their energy type is in reserve.

2. Each attacking character deals damage equal to the total number of energy matching their energy type in reserve.

But there are other possible readings that have each character dealing fractional amounts of damage.

And, the 'choose the weaker option' guideline is only that - a guideline - there a numerous examples where the official ruling has been the least weak of the possible interpretations.

So, it may not get officially ruled to be interpretation 1, or it might. We just don't know at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Which strongly suggests it is one of two interpretations:

1. Each attacking character deals 1 damage if at least 1 energy matching their energy type is in reserve.

2. Each attacking character deals damage equal to the total number of energy matching their energy type in reserve.
    To me there is only one possible way to read this card.

"...they deal...." Meaning EACH individual character
    "...for each energy in your Reserve Pool for each energy that matches their type." Says to me each bolt character deal 1 damage per bolt energy in my pool.

I can actually see no other way the english on this card can work..... But maybe I'm not inherently looking to nerf the game or find the faults

The way you can parse it is that - let's say a character is attacking, and there are three sidekicks on their faces - the character deals 1 damage for each symbol that matches it's type. There is only one symbol in reserve. It is represented on three different dice, but is the only symbol in reserve, thus 1 damage.

Where this falls apart is that we don't have any characters in the game that have multiple symbols. This interpretation could work if there were multi-type characters, say, a character that is both and , and deals 2 damage if a and a are both present in reserve. If we ever get something like that in the game I could support interpreting the card as 1 damage per unique energy symbol. Until then, the only way I can justify dealing 1 damage per unique symbol is with a ruling or errata to that effect.

My advice, don't use the card. That's hard because it is a power house, but I typically avoid using cards that can be ruled differently (and wreck my entire game).

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    My advice, don't use the card. That's hard because it is a power house, but I typically avoid using cards that can be ruled differently (and wreck my entire game).
    This is how I feel about a lot of cards, if your deck's engine is a card that has a ruling that is in dispute, its not worth it if the weaker option neutralizes your win condition.

Yep, I wouldn't even touch the R or SR catwoman until they ruled on it. Though i am learning to read the new rulebooks very carefully and have resolved a few things on my own...it would still be nice for a little clarity from the children of wiz.