Thread: Clarification: Black Cat- Felicia Hardy

Clarification: Black Cat- Felicia Hardy

An issue came up with Black Cat - Felicia Hardy in a recent rainbow draft. Her text reads "After resolving combat damage, reroll any characters that blocked Black Cat" My understanding is that since you must resolve combat damage first, blocking KO'd characters would go to Prep and Non-KO'd would be rerolled to either remain in the field as a character or go to reserve as energy.

Basically there was a question of whether or not KO'd characters would also be rerolled. It would seem not due to the condition of resolving combat damage first. Just curious on other peoples thoughts on this because I could see it being ruled as the damage persists but the character is rerolled prior to it going to the prep, which really changes how you would play this card.

I would play it such that KO'd characters do not get rerolled but there is certainly room to interpret it the other way.

We ruled it that way, but yeah after rereading the rule book there is a small window where damage is assigned but characters haven't been KO'd yet. I suppose KOing is part of the resolve damage process, so it would occur before the ability triggers.

Do combat as usual, IF Both characters survive the fight, then reroll the opposing character. Basically, this is a mechanic force your opponent to either KO Felicia, let her KO something or let her through. Attempting to bounce the character back with a defensive wall, like Joker or Loki, will actually reroll the Joker or loki if they don't kill Felicia.

I'm not sure Black Cat needs to survive for her ability to activate but I can easily see the argument for it. Wizkids.

Black Cat is the new Storm. As the card reads, like Deadpool, she doesn't need to survive for her effect to trigger. As Shadowmeld put it seems the most logically in my opinion.

Interesting, I never consider it to be an implied while active ability. Definitely changes the utility of the ability and willingness to spam her attack. Looks like I will upgrade this to a Wizkids post.

Ok, so at yesterdays rainbow draft she was blocked by Iceman "Amazing Friend" If Iceman takes damage during your opponent's turn, KO him.

So Iceman would be Ko'd, not rerolled according to previous posts, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyRollsEnergy View Post
    Ok, so at yesterdays rainbow draft she was blocked by Iceman "Amazing Friend" If Iceman takes damage during your opponent's turn, KO him.

So Iceman would be Ko'd, not rerolled according to previous posts, correct?
    Correct. He isn't still around to be rerolled.

personally i think you're all wrong :/

she don't need to survive and after dmg/before moving dice from zone you reroll the blocker, if it land on a character face then he need to be fielded, so if your oponent can't pay, it move to the used pile. i think she's designed to make people think about how to block her in fear of losing their big blocker. because if they are rolled back to energy they just go away at the beginning of their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by popcornpop View Post
    personally i think you're all wrong :/

she don't need to survive and after dmg/before moving dice from zone you reroll the blocker, if it land on a character face then he need to be fielded, so if your oponent can't pay, it move to the used pile. i think she's designed to make people think about how to block her in fear of losing their big blocker. because if they are rolled back to energy they just go away at the beginning of their turn.
    They put out a ruling clarifying that she, indeed, does not need to be active at the end of combat to activate.

However, let's recall that she triggers her affect after resolving combat damage. We have a ruling that tells us effects revolving around combat damage occur after KOs, thus if Black Cat KOs something it wouldn't be rerolled because that die has left play and all active affects on that die are removed at that time.

"Once all damage has been assigned, KO each character that took damage greater than or equal to its Defense Value. When a character is KO’d, move it to that player’s Prep Area. If game effects are generated by a character taking damage or being KO’d, the attacking player resolves all effects first, then the defender."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    They put out a ruling clarifying that she, indeed, does not need to be active at the end of combat to activate.

However, let's recall that she triggers her affect after resolving combat damage. We have a ruling that tells us effects revolving around combat damage occur after KOs, thus if Black Cat KOs something it wouldn't be rerolled because that die has left play and all active affects on that die are removed at that time.

"Once all damage has been assigned, KO each character that took damage greater than or equal to its Defense Value. When a character is KO’d, move it to that player’s Prep Area. If game effects are generated by a character taking damage or being KO’d, the attacking player resolves all effects first, then the defender."
    i get what you're saying but still don't understand why you don't reroll the blocker after dmg and before being ko. i would think of rerolling him from the prep area ? or you can't affect die in prep area anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by popcornpop View Post
    i get what you're saying but still don't understand why you don't reroll the blocker after dmg and before being ko. i would think of rerolling him from the prep area ? or you can't affect die in prep area anymore ?
    Black cat gives a die an effect. When a die moves from the field to the prep area, it loses all active effects, unless the cards state otherwise. So, blocked by SK, SK get "after combat damage resolves reroll" SK gets KOed and preped, loses ability, combat damage officially resolved, resolve black cat ability if it exists, but it doesn't.