Thread: Slander

Kinda. I think it targets a die, not a card - so it would only shut down a global if they fielded the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Kinda. I think it targets a die, not a card - so it would only shut down a global if they fielded the character.
    oh damn totally been reading it wrong the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by bartok View Post
    the pic
    You cannot target a character that isn't fielded. You can't use this to stop a Prof X, unless that Prof is also fielded.

TARGET is only done to an active character.

If today's ruling on Loki Laufeyson is indicative, then Slander does not cancel a global ability.

If Loki's ability is used on a character whose card has a Global Ability on it, the Global Ability remains available for use by either player regardless of how many copies of that character's die are active.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    If today's ruling on Loki Laufeyson is indicative, then Slander does not cancel a global ability.
    I want to think that implies there are at least 2 of those dice in the field but one was zapped. Of course, looking at Loki again, it seems to mean that only the affected die is wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    If Loki’s ability is used on a character whose card has a Global Ability on it, the Global Ability remains available for use by either player regardless of how many copies of that characters die are active.
    You only quoted a small section of the ruling. I would argue that it would work just as prismatic spray does, but only for one character since it specifically says "character" and not "character dice". I would argue it would remove globals just like prismatic spray does.

Loki’s ability text specifically references a “character die,” unlike other cards such as Magneto – Magnetic Monster and Prismatic Spray – Lesser Spell, both of simply reference “character.” This distinction dictates the answers to both of your questions.
    I can see how it would be argued that because prismatic spray says "All of your opponent’s characters lose ALL THEIR CARD TEXT until the end of the turn." that that is the reason it removes globals. However I believe that because slander targets a character (which is the card by all standards I have seen) and not a character die that it should remove the globals too.

I can't seem to get any response from the DM rules team on the matter so I am hoping this discussion stays alive.

The only thing that can wipe Globals (currently) is Prismatic Spray and ZMags. Everything else only blanks fielded dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    However I believe that because slander targets a character (which is the card by all standards I have seen) and not a character die that it should remove the globals too.
    This is not the case. In any instances of targeting or selecting a character, you select a single active character die to be affected.

Examples of this fact in different contexts include:

Human Torch - Johnny Storm
    Relentless' global
    Villainous Pact
    Dimension Door
    Hulk Out
    Scarlet Spider - The Spectacular
    and many more with various other contexts and applications.