Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Article: The Amazing Spider-Man: Full Set Review

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Carnage is tricky. Sinister is easier, but Insane has so much more potential, especially if you were to use a boosting BAC like ready to rocket to give them massive amounts of strength. Sinister will probably end up being better overall, but I think there is untapped potential in Insane.

    Now personally, I disagree with two choices here:

    The first is Mysterio. Now, I see little reason to consider him for anything at the moment, but if I was going to use him, I'd prefer the rare. For a high cost character that doesn't do very much, Francis Klum gives you options if you cannot ramp for a turn and have to buy a big character. By getting rid of a sidekick, you can guarantee the character die in your roll the next turn. Not the best ability mind you, but has a much more useful ability. Villains can already use pxg and The Outsider to generate ramp, so I don't see a need to bring the additional draw power when I could just grab the specific die I want instead.

    Zombie Morbius.

    As someone who plays villains to the point of infuriating certain people around him because he ends up bringing The Outsider to every single Thursday night event, I just want to say: Villain lists do not need him at all. Everything he does, the outsider does better, and is not subject to removal from cards like Jade Giant or Grundy. He also only affects 6+ cost villains, bringing them down to the cost of 4. Not necessarily awful, but you don't need many villain dice in general to close out a game. The biggest issue with him is that he is not a villain, so he cannot gain any significant boosts from a lot of the villain support unless you force the affiliation on him by burning a slot on a villain-creation global.

    I would make a case for any of the other 3 zombies over Morbius. Kingpin makes your sidekicks and allys unable to be blocked by opposing sidekicks or allys. It also supports sidekick teams, and combos nicely with the 2 allys currently in the game because he isn't a villain. Not the best ability currently, but time will tell for him, especially if we ever get an ally for villains. Venom can force characters to block and is a beefy mask character who isn't a villain and thus is capable of receiving benefits from cards like the wonderful Mary Jane rare, giving you overcrush damage every turn on the cheap. Finally, zombie green goblin provides much needed burn damage to the shield energy type at a low cost, while sporting well rounded stats. With the ally keyword further boosting his damage potential, he is probably the most threatening of all the ASM zombies. He isn't as strong as gobby of course, but he doesn't have to be to fill his niche.

    All 3 of the other ASM zombies have proper uses and could be used as flex options in a variety of teams. Morbius only supports 1 type of team, and fairly poorly at that. If we use the Magic Timmy, Johnny and Spike comparison that everyone seems to like, Morbius is without a doubt the best Timmy option. A huge beefy character that buys more big beefy characters in niche teams. Unfortunately, it falls short when compared to the other 3 zombies in the other two categories.

    Wall of text, I know, but I didn't feel like a statement like "Morbius is the best of the four zombies" really made sense to me when I thought about it. Just my opinions, and I respect your choice (especially because his art is great and I will eventually build something with him for fun), but I don't see him being a boost to many villain strategies, especially at a 7 cost.

  3. #3
    @Osprey - good call on Mysterio. I'm probably still stuck in the drafting mindset too much where I want whatever ramp I can get. For a constructed team like you're mentioning, the Rare is probably a better call. But still not something you're likely to pick anyways.

    Would you think differently if/when Uncanny (and PXG) is phased out?

  4. #4
    Of course. Then again, I almost always look at cards in a constructed view. Being raised on Yugioh will do that to you, because draft is almost nonexistent in that game. As for the other versions of Mysterio, if PXG is phased out, The Outsider becomes the main ramp/churn for villains instead. In that particular case, yes the other versions would become more playable, but I would still advocate for the rare. It wouldn't be too hard to get to it, and in a game where neither player can pxg, getting to specific dice (like the ones you have just purchased) only becomes more important, and the rare still ends up being better in my books. Not to mention there is still the option to play Villainous pact, letting you use your masks to draw dice while also providing another extremely powerful action die to end games with.

  5. #5
    I would like to talk about the "elephant" in the room of the Kingpin Common. He's a 7 cost, which, with PXG can be bought on turn two, but "When Kingpin... or Kingping as I am going to be calling him, takes damage, target player takes 2 damage, they can either sacrifice a creature or pay 2 generic energy to prevent this." This feels like the new "Green Golaith" to me, get Kingping down on the board with a Magic Missile global and go nuts.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephernaut View Post
    I would like to talk about the "elephant" in the room of the Kingpin Common. He's a 7 cost, which, with PXG can be bought on turn two, but "When Kingpin... or Kingping as I am going to be calling him, takes damage, target player takes 2 damage, they can either sacrifice a creature or pay 2 generic energy to prevent this." This feels like the new "Green Golaith" to me, get Kingping down on the board with a Magic Missile global and go nuts.
    Why not just use rare Nova? You get the same effect, cheaper character, better stats, and your opponent doesn't even get the option of stopping it. The only downside is that your opponent is given a brief chance to apply some seriously hard removal, but that's a more than worthy trade-off for the advantages of Nova.

    Kingpin is basically never going to see meta play, but he'll be fun to see in-set.

  7. #7
    Kingpin does have the benefit of being affiliated, so he can benefit from the massive amounts of great villain support cards. I think that's reason enough for him to see play.

  8. #8
    I would like to point something out so people don't incorrectly use white tigers global ability. PK is wrong in saying it can be done any time after using the global, when an ability is activated you have to finish the ability before doing anything else. Best way to use this global whenever you want is to use it when you want to since you're allowed to do actions in any order you want.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JONNYNHM View Post
    The common Mysterio (http://www.thereservepool.com/showwi...udwig+Rinehart) is great. I played him in the draft this weekend and was easily rolling all 12 to 16 of my dice every turn. Then hitting big entrance made buying rare blade and doc oct. really easy. The two best action cards i have seen run for this set, from my drafts, where save civilians and betrayal.
    How were you rolling that many dice? It's each instance of dice being drawn not once for every dice. On their clear and draw you could only add 1 die. Whenever would be for each die, When implies for each instance of.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    How were you rolling that many dice? It's each instance of dice being drawn not once for every dice. On their clear and draw you could only add 1 die. Whenever would be for each die, When implies for each instance of.
    On their clear and draw, you can get 1, then when they Mysterio global, you can get one, then when you use Mysterio that's another one. so you've got 7 dice rolling, then if you've got characters getting KOed because you're attacking over and over, as you are trying to avoid Betrayal damage, 12 dice seems likely.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Why not just use rare Nova? You get the same effect, cheaper character, better stats, and your opponent doesn't even get the option of stopping it. The only downside is that your opponent is given a brief chance to apply some seriously hard removal, but that's a more than worthy trade-off for the advantages of Nova.

    Kingpin is basically never going to see meta play, but he'll be fun to see in-set.
    Wow, I played this at our stores PDC event, and it was amazing, took first, the fact that they can pay to avoid it is fine, since they are most likely paying by sacrificing characters which help me keep their board clear, but still had energy left over to deal damage after they had exhausted payment options, I used one of my opponents Green Goliath against him to do half his life in damage in one turn with a little help from SR Emma Frost, Kingpin doing 6 and Emma doing 4 damage. This card has a lot of potential. I advise play testing it for sure.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephernaut View Post
    Wow, I played this at our stores PDC event, and it was amazing, took first, the fact that they can pay to avoid it is fine, since they are most likely paying by sacrificing characters which help me keep their board clear, but still had energy left over to deal damage after they had exhausted payment options, I used one of my opponents Green Goliath against him to do half his life in damage in one turn with a little help from SR Emma Frost, Kingpin doing 6 and Emma doing 4 damage. This card has a lot of potential. I advise play testing it for sure.
    I've seen some excitement here about Blink as an action remover, is anyone using the Namor Uncommon from UXM? Since that's the one with the Avengers affiliation it also pairs nicely with some of the Captain America dice from AoU.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •