Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Several questions

  1. #1

    Several questions

    1) Does Sacrifice works with retaliation? Ej: i sacrifice zattanna and triger retaliation of ciborg
    2) When a Character die with ambush action, leaves the field, and in the same turn, that character returns, Does he lose his ambush bonus attack?

    3) if a sidekick is turned in lighting energy for global iceman, Is considered leave the field?

    4) If a action or hability said that you can field a character, Can you trigger a when fielded ability?

  2. #2
    1 Sacrifice is not KO.
    2 buffs are lost when dice leave the field, the only temporary effect known to stay outside the field is affiliation gains.

    3 yes.

    4 Usually, yes. There are a few cards with reminder (parenthetical) text, that use the phrase field, but really don't field their dice. Instead they swap or move the dice. However, other than those few poorly worded reminders, yes "field a die" means trigger its Fielding effect.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    4 Usually, yes. There are a few cards with reminder (parenthetical) text, that use the phrase field, but really don't field their dice. Instead they swap or move the dice. However, other than those few poorly worded reminders, yes "field a die" means trigger its Fielding effect.
    First, I agree with you Shadowmeld. I'm just validating the logic and rule references to this question:

    If a card's text states: "...field a die from the Used Pile/Prep Area..." does this constitute a "when fielded" effect?

    Example card (from the ASM set): Back for Seconds! BAC
    Underdog - (You may use this effect when your opponent has more character dice in their Field Zone than you do.) Field any character from your Used Pile at level 3.


    I know the immediate answer commonly given would be "yes", but consider:

    The ASM Rule Book states (p.21):
    "The term “when fielded" refers to the moment you send a Character Die from your Reserve Pool to the Field Zone....Moving dice as part of an effect is not the same as fielding them."

    The first statement makes a direct reference that the applicable die is fielded when coming from the Reserve Pool. Hence, if it comes from any other play area (e.g. the Used Pile), it is not considered being "when fielded". The second statement further defines the effect (move vs. field) as it relates to a die being fielded. Some card texts specify this effect by stating "move a die", the results of which are substantiated by the second Rule Book statement (i.e. this does not constitute a "when fielded" effect). Other cards confuse the effect by using the word "field" contrary to the first Rule Book statement, like on the Back for Seconds BAC.

    Since neither 'move' or 'field' are defined in the Lexicon, we are left with ambiguity. However, we have this definition:

    "When Fielded: An effect that takes place when you pay a character’s fielding cost or field them through an effect."

    {Interesting note: the underlined portion is newly added text to the Rule Book (it is not in the WoL or earlier versions).}

    It is this definition that I use to substantiate answering 'yes' to the question posed above, even though the rules in the Tournament Rules section may lead to a different conclusion.

    Is this your rationale as well?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    First, I agree with you Shadowmeld. I'm just validating the logic and rule references to this question:

    If a card's text states: "...field a die from the Used Pile/Prep Area..." does this constitute a "when fielded" effect?

    Example card (from the ASM set): Back for Seconds! BAC
    Underdog - (You may use this effect when your opponent has more character dice in their Field Zone than you do.) Field any character from your Used Pile at level 3.


    I know the immediate answer commonly given would be "yes", but consider:

    The ASM Rule Book states (p.21):
    "The term “when fielded" refers to the moment you send a Character Die from your Reserve Pool to the Field Zone....Moving dice as part of an effect is not the same as fielding them."

    The first statement makes a direct reference that the applicable die is fielded when coming from the Reserve Pool. Hence, if it comes from any other play area (e.g. the Used Pile), it is not considered being "when fielded". The second statement further defines the effect (move vs. field) as it relates to a die being fielded. Some card texts specify this effect by stating "move a die", the results of which are substantiated by the second Rule Book statement (i.e. this does not constitute a "when fielded" effect). Other cards confuse the effect by using the word "field" contrary to the first Rule Book statement, like on the Back for Seconds BAC.

    Since neither 'move' or 'field' are defined in the Lexicon, we are left with ambiguity. However, we have this definition:

    "When Fielded: An effect that takes place when you pay a character’s fielding cost or field them through an effect."

    {Interesting note: the underlined portion is newly added text to the Rule Book (it is not in the WoL or earlier versions).}

    It is this definition that I use to substantiate answering 'yes' to the question posed above, even though the rules in the Tournament Rules section may lead to a different conclusion.

    Is this your rationale as well?
    Actually, my rationale is much simpler: A card text that contradicts the defined rules, supercedes those rules for it's resolution only. Thus You can field from the Used Pile, because it is telling us that we can. We also can't Field a die that hasn't been rolled, let alone field it at level 3, but this card is specifically telling us we can.

  5. #5
    Yes, I thought of that. But since "field" does not have a specific definition (albeit we intuitively know what it means), this is a shaky argument with those "rules lawyer" types looking for loopholes.

    Again, I've ruled that "field" triggers "when fielded" effects and I feel WK is of the same thought, given the added words in the Lexicon in a set that is using this card text language. It'd be even better if the statement in the Tournament Rules section was updated as well.

  6. #6
    It's in the official FAQ:

    http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/dice-masters-faq/

    Q: Please explain “When fielded” effects.
    A: “When fielded” effects trigger at the time that a player moves that character into their Field Zone. In most instances, this occurs when a player pays a character’s fielding cost and moves the character from their Reserve Pool to their Field Zone. As an example, Hawkeye, Longbow’s ability allows him to deal his attack value to a target opposing character when he is fielded.

    Some game effects will allow characters to be fielded in a more non-traditional fashion—such as Gambit, Le Diable Blanc.

    If a character would be fielded from Gambit, Le Diable Blanc’s ability, any “when fielded” effects on those characters would activate.

    Marvel Dice Masters FAQ



    Q: Do Sidekicks moved to the field with Rally count as being fielded? Does Rally trigger Johnny Storm’s ability?
    A: No, they are simply moved from one area to another. This is true for all cards that “move” or “swap” and do not specifically state that they field characters. They do not trigger Human Torch’s ability since that only activates when characters are fielded.
    Marvel Dice Masters FAQ
    Also on the new Keywords page:

    http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/keywords/

    Field: Paying a character’s fielding cost (which might be 0) to move them from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone. Some other effects will also field character dice.

  7. #7
    Thanks Paul - forgot about the new WK Keyword page.

  8. #8
    Using Back For Seconds, do we have to pay the fielding cost? The card don't say "for free", neither "paying its fielding cost"...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bere View Post
    Using Back For Seconds, do we have to pay the fielding cost? The card don't say "for free", neither "paying its fielding cost"...
    The closest other example I have found that shares that wording is Phil Coulson. He says pay 1 generic to field a shield agent from used. I doubt the intent of that is to pay 1 for the priveledge of paying a Fielding cost (though agents are 0 cost at lvl 1)

    Not positive though.

  10. #10
    Is the Ice-Man global considered as characters leaving the field? So for example if I use the Ice-Man global changing three sidekicks into bolts does an active Vulture -Adrian Toomes get +12A? Are the sidekicks not energy before they are removed from the field?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •