Thread: ASM dice size issue?

ASM dice size issue?

I was putting my ASM dice into my smoke zen-bins (if that matters), and there were a few dice that totally messed everything up, being just a little too big, not allowing 10 to be fit into a row without seriously squeezing it in. I thought about it being the zen-bins somehow, but it was only with certain dice, that I was able to pinpoint through process of elimination taking out and putting in dice to see what fits.

Anyway, I can't remember all of them... I think that one was the purple dice with an orange pumpkin (Hobgoblin?), but I can't remember the others right now.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue, because it was definitely very real for about 5-8 different character dice. It just meant most trays held 17 and not 20 dice, so nothing was terribly upset, but it was really, really annoying, and it shows how bad the dice quality control is.

I already knew the quality control was an issue with the dice in general with some having rounded edges, some sharper, which could easily be taken advantage of by a tiny bit of sanding and painting, or not even, I'm not really sure. But now, with this, they definitely can't be rolling all the same, etc... I mean, I suppose if it's just a tiny bit bigger in every way, so the dimensions have the same ratio, the dice should roll fine in theory, but the lack of quality control on Wizkids' part with the dice has reached a critical mass. They not only come in every shape, but now every size too... without that being the goal.

Thanks so much.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, I didn't have to use an extra tray past my cards or anything (I double sleeve, so it's 18 per slot in a regular tray, so 36 a tray), but the issue seems bigger than Zen Bins to me. It feels like that's just a fortunate coincidence we have those to have shown this to us easily.

Otherwise it's such a small difference I don't know who could tell.

I think the die sizes were always varied to a degree, but indeed I noticed that the ones from ASM are bigger on average as they also do not fit in my storage like other sets. Measuring with a calliper the sidekick and BA dice are around 13.25mm smaller old character dice are mostly 13.40mm while some new dice are significantly bigger like Mary Jane - 13.74mm, Green Goblin - 13.60 - 13.80mm (depending on the side).
    So it is not necessary a quality issue, just (potentially unintended) inconsistency in the mould sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by nutki View Post
    I think the die sizes were always varied to a degree, but indeed I noticed that the ones from ASM are bigger on average as they also do not fit in my storage like other sets. Measuring with a calliper the sidekick and BA dice are around 13.25mm smaller old character dice are mostly 13.40mm while some new dice are significantly bigger like Mary Jane - 13.74mm, Green Goblin - 13.60 - 13.80mm (depending on the side).
    So it is not necessary a quality issue, just (potentially unintended) inconsistency in the mould sizes.

Well someone at WK had to approve the dice before they went into full production so it is 100% a quality control issue.

The dice have always varied in size, and sharpness.

This is natural.

If you expect all the dice to be perfectly uniform and identical in size, then you should also expect to pay significantly more for the product.

They're cheap dice, made cheaply, and you should set your expectations accordingly.