Thread: TheoryCrafting: Magsterio

TheoryCrafting: Magsterio

So lately I've noticed something. Upcoming events like the PDC, as well as more and more new sets have people more secretive than ever about what they've been up to. While I can understand that to an extent, I think it's better for everyone if more people get out there and share their ideas! Besides, there are no big official events on the horizon because Wizkids is doing who knows what, so why not pass the time by theorycrafting and building some new stuff with some sweet new ASM cards?

Recently I got into a discussion with @pk2317 about Mysterio, most notably the common version. Now, I ragged on the poor card pretty hard, and while I do wholeheartedly believe the rare is the best of all of his different, mediocre cards, he is still a villain. It's my responsibility to make sure no villain characters get left behind, so let's make this guy work! Anyone who wants to is welcome to participate in helping me build something that could be the next thing I bring to the casual Thursday night event at locals. It might even help inspire you to look back at some older cards and discover new combos. First off, let's take a look at what we're dealing with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDM4_02Common-063-Mysterio_Dr-Ludwig-Rinehart-300.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	3973

Alright, we have a 6 cost mask character with an abysmal TFC of 7. The Outsider could put him on his level 2 face for free, so if we want him on the board, that's not a big deal. His defense is a little lacking, but 6-7 attack is certainly strong. Right around that game-ender level in terms of attack strength, and naturally, The Outsider global can pump his attack up by 2, hitting into the 8-9 attack power ranges. Not too shabby, but his effect leaves a lot to be desired. Useful, yes but it won't win us the game. Dice Masters is a fun game to play, win or lose, but if you want to win, you have to play with things that win you the game. Sounds crazy, I know. That global looks like it may hurt too, giving our opponent more options to ramp.

Thankfully, I was organizing some cards the other day, and good old Magneto was sitting on my desk.

Now we're getting somewhere, this guy can put our opponents on a clock. Not only will they take 2 damage every turn when they draw during clear and draw, but he makes piggybacking off of Mysterio's global painful.

Vulture will give us a way to deal with waves of small characters due to his when blocking ability, and his effect can hit for large amount of damage on open boards.

Name:	MDM4_03Uncommon-104-Vulture_Adrian-Toomes.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	3976

Alright, there's some sort of a win condition. Now I'm thinking of adding some stuff to control the opponent and do some extra damage. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Name:	MDM3_05SuperRare-137-Jocasta_Patterned-After-Janet.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	3975

Some ramp/churn to make it possible to get to Magneto:

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3974

Finally, red dragon makes buying the outsider easier while also doing some extra damage to our opponent.

A rough draft of a team that I've threw together quite quickly, but I think there's a lot of room to improve it and make something interesting. I'd love to hear any suggestions in the comments, and I think it would be cool to get a lot of people working on an idea. At the very least, it might point people to older cards that they can combo with the new ASM stuff, or even WOL cards because the set hasn't had enough time to be fleshed out properly. One idea I had was comboing the Magneto/mysterio clock with something like Sinestro from WOL.

With Jocasta/vulture protecting you from attacks, this could be a good way to stall your opponent while they take steady burn damage every turn. Let's see what we can come up with! This is really only a shell of a team so far after all.

I like it! Nice combo - one-sided Global Ramp or your opponent takes 2 damage. Poor choices FTW!

Wouldn't Toad and Vulture work REALLY well together?

Also, if you're looking for a way to get characters off the field, Atomica and Vulture are also super solid, and Atomica also covers Mysterio's weakness of high fielding costs. Swap Atomica, Vulture +4, Field Atomica for less than Mysterio would have cost you..

Actually you know what, now I Want to play Vulture Toad Mysterio and Atomica as a team.

@Shadowmeld I'm not worried about the fielding cost because I don't plan on buying Mysterio, he is only here for the global to combo with Magneto, and The Outsider covers fielding costs anyways.

While I normally prefer the rare Toad, I think I can expand on the idea you just had and go:

Name:	MDM4_03Uncommon-104-Vulture_Adrian-Toomes.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	3977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDM3_05SuperRare-137-Jocasta_Patterned-After-Janet.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	3978

Force everything to attack, they take 2 damage, when blocking with vulture everything will take an additional 1 damage, and anything big enough to finally get through could be blocked by Jocasta, dealing damage to your opponent equal to the blocked attacker's full attack value. Since this should do a fine job of emtpying their field, you could then use bewd global on a character to pump vulture next turn and then attack on a mostly open board.

I think I can build around that actually

Too bad Jocasta just got nerfed, again. I think you'd be better off with any other villain in that spot to be honest, like Nasty Boy or something. 6 damage kills most things, and 3 damage AoE helps force them to chose the big guy to take the Nasty Boy damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Too bad Jocasta just got nerfed, again. I think you'd be better off with any other villain in that spot to be honest, like Nasty Boy or something. 6 damage kills most things, and 3 damage AoE helps force them to chose the big guy to take the Nasty Boy damage.
    I have to admit, I was blindsided by your comment and just noticed myself that the rules forum updated!

Jocasta is still super strong by the way, you only need 1 to block something huge, especially in this case. I am perfectly ok with this.

Just a quick update to this, I actually loaned this team to a friend of mine this Thursday and she managed to come third place with it in 4 rounds! The only change that was made was vulture was swapped with rare solomon grundy. I'll probably be bringing something closer to what shadowmeld and I were discussing to the event next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Top Tip

Be aware that in games with mysterio and Prof X globals: if you intend to PXG with an empty bag, your opponent may use mysterio to refill your bag first. And you can do the same.
    Mysterio is optional. If your opponent pays for the global so they can draw, you can decide not to draw any dice.