Thread: Sacrifice - Straight to Used or Out of Play?

Sacrifice - Straight to Used or Out of Play?

So, I'm wondering...

When you Sacrifice a character, does it go straight to the Used pile, or into Transition first?

I saw an interesting question on Facebook: If you have the dreaded Sable/Vulture combo, and you Sacrifice Sable to make Vulture unblockable, then use Polymorph, can you bring Sable right back onto the field?

The original question was asking if swapping two characters for Polymorph triggers Vultures "when a character leaves the field" condition and, while that's a good question, I got to thinking about the implications of Sacrifice sending a character straight to Used. With Poly, that cost is a bit less, um, costly.

Sacreficed characters go to the used pile (often as cost or penalty) so i dont know but they go for sure to the used pile.

Right, I know they go to Used... but is it right away, or eventually (via Out of Play)? Since we are seeing more and more effects letting you field or pull dice straight from the Used Pile, it seems that the "cost" of Sacrifice can actually be a boon instead.

At first blush, that interpretation (going to used and thus able to be Polymorphed) sounds reasonable. Obviously you'd need at least three fielded characters, as you'd need someone to swap out for Sable, but that combo looks legal to me.

Since it is a 'cost' and all other costs (paying of a global, purchasing a character) go out of play, then I would think this too is where Silver Sable would go.

That said the Amazing Spider-Man rule only suggests the following:

Out of Play: Nothing can happen to dice here. Energy spent during your turn goes here, so do Action Dice you use during your turn or unblocked characters.

Albeit a little unorthodox, I would state a sacrificed die goes directly to the Used Pile. Rationale:

(1) The Out of Play area is for energy spent and Action Dice that have been used (Rule Book, p9).

(2) The Keyword definition for Sacrifice specifically says move the character from the Field Zone to the Used Pile.

(3) Corroborating rationale: dice you purchase go to the Used Pile and character dice or Action Dice you do not field or use during your Main Step go to the Used Pile (they do not "transit" through the Out of Play area) so there are situations where this can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    (3) Corroborating rationale: dice you purchase go to the Used Pile and character dice or Action Dice you do not field or use during your Main Step go to the Used Pile (they do not "transit" through the Out of Play area) so there are situations where this can occur.
    While character dice that are unused go the used pile after the main step, unused Action Dice remain until the end of your turn. You can absolutely use Action Dice during your attack step.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakolich View Post
    While character dice that are unused go the used pile after the main step, unused Action Dice remain until the end of your turn. You can absolutely use Action Dice during your attack step.
    Correct. Applicable unused Action Dice may remain in the Reserve Pool - depends on the Action.