Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Pick your battles + Ally

  1. #1

    Pick your battles + Ally

    Oracle text for Pick your Battles.

    "Each of your characters can only be blocked by opposing characters of the same energy type and your Sidekicks can only be blocked by Sidekicks."

    Text for Ally.

    "Ally (Aunt May counts as a Sidekick in the Field Zone.)"

    So if I use Pick your Battles with Aunt May out, wouldn't that mean that Aunt May can now ONLY be blocked by a character that is both Shield energy type AND a sidekick?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    I would like to think it would be an OR, not so much an AND.I'm not really sure either way though.

  3. #3
    Why would it be an or? I am really curious as a lot of people are saying this and it makes 0 sense to me. Pick your battles has 2 conditions on it, sure these conditions don't normally apply to 1 character. However with Ally it does so why wouldn't your opponents character have to meet both requirements to block a character with both conditions? Is it a sidekick? yes does it have an energy type? yes so why wouldn't it have to be blocked by another sidekick with the same energy type? Why am I the only one this makes perfect sense to lol.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by zelow View Post
    Why would it be an or? I am really curious as a lot of people are saying this and it makes 0 sense to me. Pick your battles has 2 conditions on it, sure these conditions don't normally apply to 1 character. However with Ally it does so why wouldn't your opponents character have to meet both requirements to block a character with both conditions? Is it a sidekick? yes does it have an energy type? yes so why wouldn't it have to be blocked by another sidekick with the same energy type? Why am I the only one this makes perfect sense to lol.
    I understand your logic, it just seems to me that the Ally ability overrides the energy type condition.

    Ally - Auny May counts as a Sidekick in the field zone.

    This is the only basis for the shield type not being recognized, but this is exactly why you need to ask wizkids. I do see your point which is why I stated I was on the fence about it. Pick Your battles is so far the only known card that this becomes an issue thus far. So in case future cards come up, you should ask.

  5. #5
    Just because it says it counts as a sidekick on the field does not mean its energy type falls off.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by zelow View Post
    Oracle text for Pick your Battles.

    "Each of your characters can only be blocked by opposing characters of the same energy type and your Sidekicks can only be blocked by Sidekicks."

    Text for Ally.

    "Ally (Aunt May counts as a Sidekick in the Field Zone.)"

    So if I use Pick your Battles with Aunt May out, wouldn't that mean that Aunt May can now ONLY be blocked by a character that is both Shield energy type AND a sidekick?

    Thanks in advance.

    Pick Your Battles is not a two-conditional BAC. The intent is to define how all character dice are to be blocked: same energy => same energy (covers all non-SK dice) **and** SK => SK (covers the SKs - which have no energy type - that are now character dice when in the field). Hence, the use of the word "and" covers all dice types, not to establish a linking condition that both clauses must be applied for the effect to occur. This is a very deliberately worded card because there has been so much confusion in the past about how effects are applied to "character dice", since a Sidekick can be both a character or non-character die, depending on the game state.

    With Aunt May fielded and Pick Your Battles in effect, she can only be blocked by either a shield character die or a SK.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Pick Your Battles is not a two-conditional BAC. The intent is to define how all character dice are to be blocked: same energy => same energy (covers all non-SK dice) **and** SK => SK (covers the SKs - which have no energy type - that are now character dice when in the field). Hence, the use of the word "and" covers all dice types, not to establish a linking condition that both clauses must be applied for the effect to occur. This is a very deliberately worded card because there has been so much confusion in the past about how effects are applied to "character dice", since a Sidekick can be both a character or non-character die, depending on the game state.

    With Aunt May fielded and Pick Your Battles in effect, she can only be blocked by either a shield character die or a SK.
    I think you're wrong here, there was no specific wording on this card with ally in mind as ally was not out when this card was made. Sure its original intention was to have an effect for sidekicks, which at the time did not have an energy type at the time. Now we have sidekicks with energy types and you want to try and say that it can be blocked be either because it is both? Why not run what the card actually does and play this out.

    Facts:

    1. It is a sidekick.
    2. It has an energy type.
    3. PYBs states characters can ONLY be blocked by characters of the same energy type.
    4. PYBs states sidekiscks can ONLY be blocked by sidekicks.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with a generic sidekick with no energy type is this legal? No, because PYB clearly states that characters can ONLY be blocked by characters with the same energy type and Aunt May is a shield type and the generic sidekick has no energy type.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with a non-ally shield character is this legal? No, because PYB clearly states that sidekicks can ONLY be blocked by sidekicks and your shield character is not a sidekick.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with another Aunt May is this legal? Yes, because you are blocking with another Shield energy typed sidekick character.

    Why is this so hard to understand?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zelow View Post
    I think you're wrong here, there was no specific wording on this card with ally in mind as ally was not out when this card was made. Sure its original intention was to have an effect for sidekicks, which at the time did not have an energy type at the time. Now we have sidekicks with energy types and you want to try and say that it can be blocked be either because it is both? Why not run what the card actually does and play this out.

    Facts:

    1. It is a sidekick.
    2. It has an energy type.
    3. PYBs states characters can ONLY be blocked by characters of the same energy type.
    4. PYBs states sidekiscks can ONLY be blocked by sidekicks.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with a generic sidekick with no energy type is this legal? No, because PYB clearly states that characters can ONLY be blocked by characters with the same energy type and Aunt May is a shield type and the generic sidekick has no energy type.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with a non-ally shield character is this legal? No, because PYB clearly states that sidekicks can ONLY be blocked by sidekicks and your shield character is not a sidekick.

    Now I attack with Aunt May and PYBs effect in play, you try to block with another Aunt May is this legal? Yes, because you are blocking with another Shield energy typed sidekick character.

    Why is this so hard to understand?

    I do not believe I am wrong. It's not hard for me to understand. Here may be the confusion:

    "Now we have sidekicks with energy types and you want to try and say that it can be blocked be either because it is both?"

    The Ally effect does not give Sidekicks an energy type: it applies the Sidekick attribute to a non-SK character die.

    Here is the situation as I see it:

    (1) A character with the Ally ability counts as a Sidekick.
    (2) If a game effect can be exclusively applied to a either non-SK character die or a SK die, it can be applied to an Ally keyworded die.

    PYB increases the effect application with respect to Aunt May: can be blocked by either a shield energy character or a SK. So the three attack scenarios you list above are all legal.

    You are implying that PYB is setting 2 conditions for a character to be blocked and I'm saying it doesn't.

    But don't take what I say as official - ask WK. However, I believe you are in the minority on how you are applying PYB to Ally characters.

  9. #9
    I definitely can see both arguments here.

    Either:
    1) PYB requires that all blockers have X conditions to block their targets.

    OR

    2) PYB requires that all blockers have ONE OF X conditions to block their targets.

    I would hesitantly call this a good synergistic combo giving two characters a method of becoming unblockable, with the use of an action die is pretty solid combo work, and an appropriate power level. To be honest, either way this is ruled won't have a dramatic effect on the game. With that said, PYB pretty clearly defines that your characters can ONLY be blocked by characters with X conditions. The loophole created that creates two conflicting "ONLY"s is not much different than Lord of D Ring, or any similarly powerful combo.

    Short answer, Allies and Pick your Battles, good combo!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I definitely can see both arguments here.

    Either:
    1) PYB requires that all blockers have X conditions to block their targets.

    OR

    2) PYB requires that all blockers have ONE OF X conditions to block their targets.

    I would hesitantly call this a good synergistic combo giving two characters a method of becoming unblockable, with the use of an action die is pretty solid combo work, and an appropriate power level. To be honest, either way this is ruled won't have a dramatic effect on the game. With that said, PYB pretty clearly defines that your characters can ONLY be blocked by characters with X conditions. The loophole created that creates two conflicting "ONLY"s is not much different than Lord of D Ring, or any similarly powerful combo.

    Short answer, Allies and Pick your Battles, good combo!
    Hey Shadowmeld, thanks for checking out my post. Honestly I can live with either ruling wizkids takes, as it is just a game. However I hope they go with the way I see it, as it seems the most logical. I already submitted the question on the wizkids forums, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soonish.

    In the meantime, here is what I am looking to put together as a team with this combo in mind.

    http://dicemastersdb.com/team-builde...1409-2;5039-2;

  11. #11
    In this instance, surely she can be blocked by both. Wouldn't it work in the same way that Joker: Unpredictable (When fielded, the Joker cannot be blocked by non-Villains this turn) can be stopped by a Vulture, despite it having both the Sinister Six and Villain affiliation.

  12. #12
    The difference is that pick you battle is asking that May be blocked by a sidekick and a shield energy type character, not just a villain.

    As a side note, Aunt May can block Aunt May.

  13. #13


    I was shooting the breeze with another player as a store event was wrapping up last night, and we kind of jointly came up with this. All of a sudden, we both really want to see a ruling from WizKids on the PYB/Ally question. I just submitted my own version of the question to the WKRF, for what that's worth.

    And, yes, I'm aware there are other methods, such as Uncommon Falcon from UXM, of making your Sidekicks unblockable, most or which are more efficient and/or reliable (if you have the cards). Doesn't mean I don't want to know if this would actually work.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of 'L's View Post


    I was shooting the breeze with another player as a store event was wrapping up last night, and we kind of jointly came up with this. All of a sudden, we both really want to see a ruling from WizKids on the PYB/Ally question. I just submitted my own version of the question to the WKRF, for what that's worth.

    And, yes, I'm aware there are other methods, such as Uncommon Falcon from UXM, of making your Sidekicks unblockable, most or which are more efficient and/or reliable (if you have the cards). Doesn't mean I don't want to know if this would actually work.
    Doesn't mean this couldn't be fun to play around with.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by zelow View Post
    Oracle text for Pick your Battles.

    "Each of your characters can only be blocked by opposing characters of the same energy type and your Sidekicks can only be blocked by Sidekicks."

    Text for Ally.

    "Ally (Aunt May counts as a Sidekick in the Field Zone.)"

    So if I use Pick your Battles with Aunt May out, wouldn't that mean that Aunt May can now ONLY be blocked by a character that is both Shield energy type AND a sidekick?

    Thanks in advance.
    Aunt May can be blocked by either a Sidekick/Ally character or blocked by a shield character.

    This game is a game about doing as much as you can do. Meaning: Aunt May is both a character that has the shield energy and is a Sidekick, while in the field. This means that she meets either condition when looking at Pick Your Battles.
    Wizkid made a ruling long time ago with Angel: Fly High that has similar conditions in that it required all other Shield characters to be blocked before it and if say a shield character was unblockable could it. http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic....25145d42#p3856

    They have even gone as far and needing to add it to the Rules book: "As much as possible vs Costed effects". See Page 22 of the Civil War Rules book online. http://wizkids.com/dicemasters-poste...B-03.17.16.pdf
    Based on how Wizkids typically answer these, they'll even add the
    When In Doubt, Choose the "Weaker" Option
    Sometimes there will be card text or interactions that could reasonably be interpreted in one or two ways. A random sample of players asked might get split down the middle on how it plays out. Wed encourage judges to rule that the weaker interpretation is the correct one. For example, if an effect might reroll a single character die, or every copy of that character die, but is unclear, a judge using this guidance would rule that only a single die is rerolled.
    http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic....b1eb0c25145d42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •