Thread: Requesting the hivemind for thoughts and counters

Requesting the hivemind for thoughts and counters

Hey everybody,

So, I'm currently attempting to finish up an unlimited team and am running into some specific issues that I seem to be unable to get around. First thing is first, team is here

With that out of the way, you will find that this is a rush team. The problems I am running into have to do with a few cards: Zombie Magneto - Magnetic Monster, Hulk - Green Goliath, and Jinzo - Trap Destroyer. I thought that I could beat the characters to the field and rush in for the win, but I'm finding that a combination of the opponent's PXG and Polymorph pretty much allow any character to get in just as fast as my Guy Gardner dice. Here are the issues I'm running into with each card specifically:

Zombie Magneto - Shuts off almost all of my damage dealers
    Hulk GG - One ping from a magic missile and my whole field is wiped (assuming Guy Gardner, Dex-Starr and Sidekicks in the field)
    Jinzo - Cannot use PXG primarily, but also problems with not using red dragon global and other defensive globals

Something of note is I can beat this team I'm playing if I go first. However, if I go second I have much difficulty. Here is what I'm looking for assistance with:

1. Ways to modify the team to work better against the offending characters
    2. An honest review of the team
    3. Any advice for using the team that I may not have thought of

Here are some thoughts I already had:

1. Put in SR Constantine in place of Prismatic Spray
    2. Perhaps put in Millennium Puzzle in place of Prismatic Spray
    3. Perhaps put in Deadpool - Jack in place of Prismatic Spray
    4. Input BEWD + Grundy Combo in place of Prismatic Spray and Lantern Ring
    5. Change the team entirely to a rush/control hybrid with silver sable common and Anger Issues

All thoughts and feedback are appreciated. Don't hold back. Thanks for reading!

~ninja

- If you are worried about Relentless being used against you, drop Doom Caliber and put in the Human Paladin, otherwise, I don't see any use for Doom caliber.

- The Red Dragon is there obviously to give you easier access to Prismatic spray, but if you are aggroing, prismatic shouldn't really be in your game plan. If you are using Guy Gardner and Dex-Starr with the Ring, use Kobolds instead of PXG. One better consistent ramp/churn, and two, their extra energy will synergize very well with the ring and these characters.

- Throw in Martian Manhunter's promo if the Hulk is that big of a problem in your area. He is immune to damage from fist characters. Otherwise, you need a reliable form of removal. Try Hawkeye - longbow, Polymorph, Gamora - assassin, etc.

The only other thing I would say but this seems counter to your team is to drop Relentless. This is because I feel that card's global takes away from the game itself and becomes a crutch to players in the long run. Most veteran players drop using that card sometime after they start. This part is merely my opinion and you can happily ignore.

Thanks for the feedback! I've taken some of your suggestions and swapped some things around. Basically, I want this team to work early game, but have a mid game transition plan if needed. To that avail, my updated team is here

I am really considering that Martian Manhunter as a great counter. Thanks for pointing that out. Would appreciate the feedback again if you have the time.

EDIT: I hated relentless being in there, but it was what fit at the time. Based on what I have now, it seems that it is not needed anymore. My testing has shown me that I never use it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahonor View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I've taken some of your suggestions and swapped some things around. Basically, I want this team to work early game, but have a mid game transition plan if needed. To that avail, my updated team is here

I am really considering that Martian Manhunter as a great counter. Thanks for pointing that out. Would appreciate the feedback again if you have the time.

EDIT: I hated relentless being in there, but it was what fit at the time. Based on what I have now, it seems that it is not needed anymore. My testing has shown me that I never use it anyways.
    Well, since you dropped Relentless, based on your globals, Paladin is now not needed, granted you know your opponents and their teams better than I. I would definitely consider the promo martian in its place or the Rare Doomcaliber if you have him. Spin him down and not only do you negate a ping on the Hulk, but your opponent can't do that again for the rest of the turn.

If the hulk isn't as much of a concern, you could also throw in Invisible Stalker's Uncommon that allows you to sacrifice him and negate a character's attacking ability or combat damage completely. Otherwise, a pretty solid team.

The martian manhunter promo is cool, but his defense is so low he easily dies to magic missle hits. I suppose making them expend extra resources can be useful, but i would urge looking at Spider-Man - Spider Sense. He causes problems for Hulk and is just expensive enough to dodge Z-mag AND he is a fist character allowing you to still use L Ring and just roll your guy gardners as energy to push damage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnwings View Post
    The martian manhunter promo is cool, but his defense is so low he easily dies to magic missle hits. I suppose making them expend extra resources can be useful, but i would urge looking at Spider-Man - Spider Sense. He causes problems for Hulk and is just expensive enough to dodge Z-mag AND he is a fist character allowing you to still use L Ring and just roll your guy gardners as energy to push damage.
    Than again, keeping the Paladin could protect the Martian.

I suppose then they just hit hulk, and once paladin is KO'd they magic missle the Martian. Not saying HP a bad play, just that manhunter's stats are awkward and using Human Paladin gives your opponent access to a global that hurts your win con.

This is true, but the nature of the game.

I did look at that, but I have Spider-Man, Webslinger in my team already, so that is out of the question unless I decide to put rare lantern ring in the mix instead.
    Last edited by ninjahonor; 12-05-2015 at 01:11 AM.

What's your general purchase order?
    I like your initial list with the exception of the lantern ring. Guy can usually win with rush down with out it when combined with relentless. I've ran a similar team where if I don't win with the initial rush I go to hulk green Goliath and ko z mag or jinzo.
    I also found that I didn't always need dex-starr and went with a counter ( paladin, constantine, iron fist,cap: super soldier )

I noticed you're running prismatic spray and Professor X......generally when you run spray you aren't using PXG. If I'm being honest you can use Millennium Puzzle for that spot removal. You have a red dragon and you can buy it (specifically the SR) the combo of these two is gimmicky but quite fun and damaging.

Pop millennium puzzle and use the Red Dragon's effect removing two.

You dont really need Doom Caliber considering that you have the Lantern Ring. I can see Doom Cal being replaced with Kobolds. Give's you those cheap fists and 50/50 ramp to buy other characters. Spider Man is there to focus fire everyone on him AND he is a fist who plans on attacking so the Kobold route does give more damage with the lantern ring. It also fuels the Red Dragon effect of breath weapon.

As for Dex Tar....he pumps up stuff when he's fielded but he gets a tad expensive. Can be replaced with the Human Palading if you plan on keeping Relentless.

I like vastSpartans take with a variance. It really depends on your playstyle. If you go web slinger, you don't need relentless and vice versa. Also you have the ring and it's counter in paladin.
    So you end up with either the ring and web slinger or paladin and relentless. Either way opens up a slot for utility.

Also, a note, I don't have SR Red dragon so I "prefer" thousand dragon to purchase Millenium puzzle.