Thread: PDC Venue Spotlight

PDC Venue Spotlight

I'm starting this thread to encourage members to tell us a little bit about the stores and sites they play at, and maybe some of the people they play with.

As I'm composing this post, the first Pro Dice Circuit events are scheduled to occur in a week or so, which is likely to bring some out of town visitors to at least some of those stores. So if you play at a store that is hosting one of them I particularly encourage you to post about that store, and maybe try to provide some answers to questions you think they might want to ask.

Out of the Box is scheduled to be the site of the first Pro Dice Circuit event on Wednesday, December 2. (I believe that's due to the combination of the owner's eagerness to hold the event, and the fact the store holds its DiceMasters events on Wednesdays, rather than being specially selected for the honor. Still, somebody has to be first.)

It is a one man shop located in an open air mall in south Calgary at the corner of Braeside Dr and 24 St SW. It is actually a toy/games/computer store Ė and yes, I think thatís a weird mix. Computer stuff takes up only a tiny portion of the storeís shelf space Ė I believe itís computer repair that constitutes the bulk of the business on that side.

The store has tables and chairs for up to two dozen gamers. The tables arenít overly large Ė if they were all in use there were would be no spare room to set down deck boxes, bags, etc. In fact, a couple (but only a couple) of the tables arenít quite wide enough to have both players use WizKids playmats without them both hanging over the table edges a little bit.

The store holds DiceMasters events every Wednesday night. Rainbow drafts for the first week or two after a new set release, no limits constructed otherwise. Attendance averages about 6-8 but has hit double digits on occasion. Nearly half the regulars are teenagers, but visitors should not make the mistake of taking any of them lightly simply because they are young.

The owner is friendly and gracious, and the players all get along great. Iíd say weíre more a bunch of people who get together regularly to share our mutual enjoyment of the game, rather than people trying to prove they are the superior players. Yes, weíre playing to win while the games are going, but we donít forget it is just a game, and weíre all having fun. (Well, except on those nights our dice are being completely uncooperative.)

Iíd tell you about the local meta, but either I suck at reading the signs, or there isnít much of one. Everybody mixes up their teams and characters fairly regularly.
    The rare Wasp sees a lot of use, but Iím not sure Iíd even mention that except for the colorful memory a few weeks back where one of the regulars who didnít own a rare Wasp at the time felt provoked enough by his dealings with her that evening to clean out the storeís AoU gravity feed in hopes of pulling her. (He didnít Ė the feed was less than a quarter full at the time. He went Ďsingles divingí (to use his term) at another store in town and had his copy of her when I saw him the next week.)
    Thatís not very much Ė and I admit Ďplayers use rare Waspí probably ranks somewhere around Ďthere is gambling at Rickísí on the Ďshocking revelationsí scale - but thereís not much else to tell.

Other than that, Iíd say as a group, we tend to favor using cards from more recent sets rather than older ones, but do not consider that a guarantee that none of the locals will be bringing any AvX or UXM cards.

On to some questions that may be of interest to potential visitors:

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? No. (Looking into starting this next year, but not at present). EDIT: Owner moved up the timetable and started selling singles in early December.

Does the store use the WizKids Event System? Yes

Does the store have a snack bar? Iíve notice a fridge with a small selection of cold drinks which I presume are for sale, but Iíve never seen anyone actually buy one there.

Does the store have a public washroom? In working order? Yes and yes.

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? Thereís a KFC, a Subway, a Tim Hortons, a pizza parlour (not one of the big chains), a Macís convenience store and a sushi eat in/takeout place in the same parking lot.

Is it accessible by public transit? Itís about a twenty minute bus ride from the nearest C-Train station (thatís Calgaryís commuter train system Ė we donít call it a subway as itís mostly aboveground.) If anyone actually wants more details on how to get there on public transit, let me know and Iíll provide them.
    Last edited by Son of 'L's; 12-12-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Correcting Outdated Information

This is great! Sticky to the top and I encourage everyone to add their info!

Battleground Games will be hosting on Saturday January 9th in Modesto California which is in Northern California about an hour south of Sacramento. While primarily a Magic/Pokemon/Yughio shop, they are also a Boardgame and Warhammer shop. Basically, they support the gaming community.

Registration will start at 12:00, then first round pairings will be announced at 1:00 PM.

The store has plenty of room, about a dozen tables in one room, and then a side room with several more.

They are located at 3900 Pelandale Avenue Suite 305, which is conveniently just off the CA-99. The store runs events on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month and sees anywhere from 4 - 8 regulars with a high of 10.

We are the home store to Necromanticer. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but worthwhile information
    We will also be home to the 2016 California Regional, so if you want a sneak peak, then come on down and see for yourself.

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? There are a few UCX cards available, but nothing on the regular. Many players do have extras available for sale or trade and would be happy to do so at the event.

Does the store have a snack bar? Yes, there are sodas in a fridge, as well as waters and energy drinks. There are also some candy bars and chips and such available.

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? There's a Taco Bell, an In'n'Out Burger, a pizza place, a Thai take out place and a Foster Freeze (burgers and ice cream) in the shopping center. Across the street there's a Panda Express, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Asian Fusion sit down restaurant, Steak Restaurant, and a few other places within a 2 minute drive.

Is it accessible by public transit? Not really. There's a bus system, but I wouldn't depend on it.
    Last edited by mathguy6189; 12-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Critical Hit Games

The Critical Hit Games PDC event will take place Sunday December 13th at 1 PM. Store and registration start at 12 noon, so please get there early to fill out your team lists.

Critical Hit Games (CHG) is a friendly and welcoming store just over the bridge in St. Petersburg. They have seating space for 50+ players and 7 Standing Room Only wargaming tables on top of that. They constantly keep in stock many table top war games, a wall of board games and most of your modern collectible card games including Magic and Spoils. They carry every set of Dice Masters product from UXM to current, and special order as needed.

The store itself is well lit, spacious seating and two restrooms. They stock soda, water, coffee, snacks, candy and even ice cream in their fridge at very reasonable prices. The tempature is kept
    moderate, and even with the coming winter chills one should not expect to need more than a light jacket to moderate their own temperature.
    Local restaurants include Firehouse Subs, Westshore Pizza, Yummy Thai, China One, Pita Republic and Tijuana Flats.

To get to CHG one could use the PSTA 100+, 59 or 4 lines or can navigate to the following address:
    10462 Roosevelt Blvd N St. Petersburg, Florida 33716

If you have any questions call:
    Phone: 727-578-5700

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Critical Hit Games

The Critical Hit Games PDC event will take place Sunday December 13th at 1 PM. Store and registration start at 12 noon, so please get there early to fill out your team lists.

Critical Hit Games (CHG) is a friendly and welcoming store just over the bridge in St. Petersburg. They have seating space for 50+ players and 7 Standing Room Only wargaming tables on top of that. They constantly keep in stock many table top war games, a wall of board games and most of your modern collectible card games including Magic and Spoils. They carry every set of Dice Masters product from UXM to current, and special order as needed.

The store itself is well lit, spacious seating and two restrooms. They stock soda, water, coffee, snacks, candy and even ice cream in their fridge at very reasonable prices. The tempature is kept
    moderate, and even with the coming winter chills one should not expect to need more than a light jacket to moderate their own temperature.
    Local restaurants include Firehouse Subs, Westshore Pizza, Yummy Thai, China One, Pita Republic and Tijuana Flats.

To get to CHG one could use the PSTA 100+, 59 or 4 lines or can navigate to the following address:
    10462 Roosevelt Blvd N St. Petersburg, Florida 33716

If you have any questions call:
    Phone: 727-578-5700
    Excellent, any idea what the local meta was leaning towards? Otherwise, I got my general team and will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Excellent, any idea what the local meta was leaning towards? Otherwise, I got my general team and will be there.
    I know that several players own Tsarina, several are fans of Guy, and then of course there's me. Also seen Jocasta teams, ring teams, but our local constructed scene is very fresh. Happy to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I know that several players own Tsarina, several are fans of Guy, and then of course there's me. Also seen Jocasta teams, ring teams, but our local constructed scene is very fresh. Happy to see you there.
    Haven't dealt with Tsarina in a while ever since I broke the aggro meta on my coast, look forward to anything that is brought and well I can't even imagine what you may bring. Lol Look forward to playing.

I love Discordia Games. They're located in the armpit of Bremerton, WA, and much of their business happens due to the proximity of multiple naval bases as well as a tight-knit large gamer community in general. The store runs a lot of Warhammer and WARMACHINE events, is a major stop for Pokemon and Yugioh leagues, and really makes its bank on Magic (which I can't stand playing anymore). The store kinda has that vibe that you're playing in your parent's basement - the ceiling is unfinished, and the decor is simplistic and rough, but in the end that's the vibe that keeps a lot of players coming back to it with loose canon blazing.

Our core Dice Masters group is 8-10 players, give or take a few, on Saturday afternoons at 12 noon. Our biggest event saw 11 players, until yesterday's PDC, that is; then we had 18 from all over the State and then some. That said, if anyone's interested in the after-action report from our PDC event (an unpredictable mixed-up meta of which I was quite proud to be a part), I have posted it on YouTube:

Game Haven, Sandy Utah. We meet on Thursday evenings at 6:30pm.
    There is also a location in West Jordan that has some Dice Masters events as well. The events are usually on Saturdays.

The Sandy store is new this year and is large, and very bright. There are a couple dozen tables, and we never run out of room, even when sharing the place with Magic events.
    Nathan Magro is the one who spearheaded the Dice Masters events and is just as big a fan as we are (if not bigger). He gives out promos and prizes a plenty! We get 4 packs per win with only a $5 entry fee.

Our local meta has really changed over time. When we first started there were only a few that had any AvX cards/dice, so you wouldn't see them often, however, as players were more interested in the game, and the better they got, the more you would see the strong AvX and YGO cards. Now everyone is up to date on what is hot, and catches on fast with the top cards in each newly released set.
    Ever since we had the Regional's event at SL Comic Con we have had an increased interest in the meta in Utah.

Our local PDC event was last Saturday (12/12). We had 12 come, which is actually a little less than what we usually get. I believe that was the only PDC event in Utah, and I would guess they are going to also have the State PDC there.
    The local scene is pretty good. Within the greater SLC area there are usually 3+ events per week that get about a dozen in each event. Then there are a few stores that maybe get a couple people per event.

On to some questions that may be of interest to potential visitors:

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? Yes. Usually based on CSI prices. They also buy cards.

Does the store have a snack bar? Yes, they have snacks, drinks, and even a coffee shop in store.

Does the store have a public washroom? In working order? Two, actually.

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? Gas station, Philly Cheese-steak joint (highly recommended), Ice cream shop all in the same strip mall. All the regular fast food nearby (MCD, Wendy's, Subway, KFC).

Is it accessible by public transit? I know there is a Trax Train nearby, but not the easiest to commute to via public transit (about 10 minutes from the Freeway by car)

Checkmate Games [Toledo, Ohio] - Saturday, Jan 9th at Noon - $10 entry with cash prizes!
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/ev...VENT_ID=136988

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? Yes, the store buys and sells singles with their die.

Does the store use the WizKids Event System? Yes, see the above link.

Does the store have a TO/Judge? Yes, the judge does not play in the events and she keeps printed records of answers to assist players in judge calls.

Does the store have a snack bar? Yes, they have drinks and snacks available for purchase.

Does the store have a public washroom? In working order? Yes.

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? In the same plaza as the store, there is a Frogtown Johnnie's Bar, Domo Sushi, Paddy Jack's (gourmet grilled cheese), Fortune Inn Chinese Restaurant, Waffle House and JCups Pizza. Across the street is Amie's Pizza Factory, Tiger Lebanese Bakery, Buffalo Wild Wings and Koala Berry (Frozen Yogurt). Within a 5 minute drive there's tons of other food options including fast foods and sit-down dining.

Is it accessible by public transit? Check with Tarta? http://tarta.com/ It is, however, right off the I-475 expressway.

http://checkmategames.net/
    https://www.facebook.com/CheckMate-G...5787908140865/

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Is there anywhere to eat nearby? In the same plaza as the store, there is a Frogtown Johnnie's Bar, Domo Sushi, Paddy Jack's (gourmet grilled cheese), Fortune Inn Chinese Restaurant, Waffle House and JCups Pizza. Across the street is Amie's Pizza Factory, Tiger Lebanese Bakery, Buffalo Wild Wings and Koala Berry (Frozen Yogurt). Within a 5 minute drive there's tons of other food options including fast foods and sit-down dining.
    J Cups is awesome, and so is Amie's!

This will be an excellent event. I look forward to seeing out of towners. I know there's at least one carpool coming from Michigan for it.

Pegasus Games - Madison WI
    Pegasus Games will be hosting it's PDC event on Saturday January 16th at 11:00 AM.

Registration / Check in begins at 10:30 and the first round kicks off at 11:00. Please sign up on the wizkids event system so we know to expect you but you are free to join at the event!

WES Link

Pegasus is one of the main board game shops in Madison, WI. You can find information about the store at their website. Pegasus is one of three shops in Madison to hold regular Dicemasters events. Pegasus hosts them every other Sunday around lunch time. The store is full of fun board games, card games and miniatures and has a huge gaming space in the "playground" next door. Pegasus has been a long time supporter of local gaming groups and the continue to do so but hosting the Madison Metro area Dice Masters PDC event.

Event details:
    To register for the event please sign up on the wizkids event system.
    The event will run swiss rounds dependant on the number of players and then add a Top Cut to finish it off.
    When you arrive please purchase 5 dice masters packs (any of your choice) at the counter and then bring them over to the game center. They will be added to the prize pool for the day and act as your "registration fee". We will have several door prizes each round we will select one winner at random from that round to receive a home-made dice bag. We'll also have several heroclix life counters to give away as prizes along with the traditional PDC prize kit.

Packs will be paid out at the end of the tournament. Example:

8 players enter creating a 40 pack prize pool:
    1st - 14 packs
    2nd - 8 packs
    3rd - 5 packs
    4th - 5 packs
    5th - 2 packs
    6th - 2 packs
    7th - 2 packs
    8th - 2 packs

Hope to see lots of players there we have 9 preregistered so far ! Feel free to contact me on here via PM with any questions

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? No. The store doesn't have a singles market.

Does the store have a snack bar? Yes some snacks and drinks are available but this is via a cash only system!

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? There are limited walkable locations but a ton that are just a few blocks away. I mean walkable in the winter cold that is Wisconsin!

Is it accessible by public transit? The Madison metro bus system is really good you can definitely get there via public transit and a few blocks of walking.

Well, sweet venue Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA (Northern Virginia) is hosting an event tomorrow, Saturday, January 30th at noon: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=136841 .

Anyway, it sells everything from games to comics, and is super clean. I remember coming in one morning and seeing them mopping and cleaning the tables and just felt really good - there is a huge gaming space, with lots of natural light that's great, and lots of space to play and chill.

We hope someone finds their way there from this post!

I likely should have done one of these for our store championship event, so time to get off my butt and do one for PDC States.

PDC WV States: March 20th starting at 1:00 PM.

Four Horsemen Comics & Gaming
    9201 Mall Road
    Morgantown, WV 26501
    (304) 581-4461

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	4679

Located in the Sears end of the Morgantown Mall, Four Horsemen offers a vast array of comics, games and supplies to the Morgantown area. It is a family owned and operated business with the owner or one of his sons frequently working behind the counter (though obviosuly there are other employees that aren't related to the owner). The gaming space is huge, but is often split between Magic The Gathering, YuGiOh, and Dice Masters. There is also an array of tables for X-wing/Attack Wing set up and dedicated space for tabletop and computer gaming. The store regularly accomidates 60+ on Friday nights for FNM and still has room for other events. I'm not sure off-hand of the store's maximum capacity, but it did once host a 200+ player YuGiOh regional that required setting up tables in the mall, ourside of the store.

Google Maps Link

Does the store sell Dice Masters singles? Yes they do.

Does the store have a snack bar? Yes, the store sells a variety of snacks including candy bars, muffins, fruit snacks, and the WV delicacy: Pepperoni rolls.

Does the store have a public washroom? In working order? No, but there is a public restroom in the nearby Sears, and there is one on the opposite end of the mall in the Food Court.

Is there anywhere to eat nearby? Yes. We're in a mall, so there is a mall food court to hit that includes Subway, Auntie Anne's, Sbarro, Chinese... I forget what else. Chik-fil-a, but it will be closed because our event is on a Sunday. There is an acceptable restraunt called Garfield's attached to the mall. There is also Bob Evans, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell all within a very short driving distance.

Is it accessible by public transit? There is a bus system, but I honestly don't know a lot about it. More info here: http://www.busride.org/

Hey, and while you're in Morgantown, be sure to check out the glorious oddity that is the PRT! (the PRT sadly does not run to the mall. It travels beween WVU's campuses)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prt.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	4680

The good @Flexei ran an excellent tournament in WV. Four Swiss rounds were done quite quickly. My hat is off.