Thread: Doesn't matter how good your team is... Lady Luck rules supreme!

Doesn't matter how good your team is... Lady Luck rules supreme!

Hey folks. Just wanted to share a post I made on the Dicemasters Sub on Reddit about an experience I had on my regular game night at my FLGS last week. Apologies to those who are regulars at both...

I played a game with my "Death by a Thousand Cuts" Villain team (HERE: http://dicemastersdb.com/teams/team/?id=6783) against another regular at my FLGS who regularly kicks my butt.

My opponent had a Promo Iron Fist & a Capt. America - Super Soldier, which, in a rare instance of clarity, I managed to clock straight away as a damaging combo to my win con.

So - knowing they were a problem for me, I went full steam ahead buying up my Scarecrows as my removal option - no way was that Iron Fist hanging around! My new strategy was going to field Scarecrow, clear Iron Fist, then crack on with my win con "Thousand Cuts" ping with Beetle/Manta/Cheetah/Deathstroke and punish his Iron Fist re-field with Lyssa Drake.

Except that, no matter how many times I re-fielded Scarecrow I failed EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. For turn after turn after turn after turn I could not roll that Iron Fist to anything other than a character face and he stuck around; a firm, solitary, hardcore barrier to my win con!

I rolled him 7 separate turns, to no avail, until my opponent eventually got his Hulk - Green Goliath out, cleared my field, and walked in for a win with some good old, fashioned battle damage.

So - it just goes to show - no matter how well you put that team together - sometimes it can only be about Lady Luck!

I know some of you will have been there - you ever had a Lady Luck moment (in your favour or against you)?

If it was a sure thing it would not be any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mackstation View Post
    If it was a sure thing it would not be any fun.
    True that.

Yeah...the luck factor is one of the biggest draws to the game in my area. Soo many people tired of the "money gamers" that win just because they spent more money than you on the best cards. This game eliminates that.
    One of my "favorite" (sarcasm there) moments was when I was able to buy a Green Goliath on turn two (thanks to Big Entrance, and the Resurrection global) and never once in the entire game rolled his face!

Hence my choice on username. But I still believe the better deck and strategy wins 4 of 5. I've been burned by lady luck and have had her in my favor, that's any game that involves dice though. I still enjoy the game.

I agree with you. Good squads and sound strategy will usually overcome bad die rolls. That said, not rolling it 7 times, well some day you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses2813 View Post
    I agree with you. Good squads and sound strategy will usually overcome bad die rolls. That said, not rolling it 7 times, well some day you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.
    Haha!

that made me laugh out loud.

Lying down and playing dead was not an option!

One game at a tournament...the first half the game I could not roll character faces at all. I almost surrendered...still lost even after I managed to finally get characters fielded.

Reminds me of a game back when it was AVX only. Playing against typical Gobby stuff, I turn 1 bought Human torch and then rolled almost nothing but sidekicks and masks for the rest game. Opponent could not believe that I just beat him by holding a mask for distraction (to keep HT on the field) and a torrent of sidekicks. Turns out the game is so complex that sometimes the best course of action is doing the least amount of work.