Thread: Doomcaliber Knight

Doomcaliber Knight

I see a lot of people talking about using him for his global. It must just be me but when I read the global it says pay when you attack. Your monsters cannot be the target of action dice or card abilites.

I was under the impression you declare attack, declare blockers, then do globals. So you have to wait untill blockers are declared before you can pay the fist? I have not seen that happen, every person I have seen use this card pays a fist during the main step. Is that correct? Thanks for the help.

This global is paid for "when you attack" or in other words, when you declare attackers. It is a different timing, but clearly states that timing, meaning it breaks the standard rule. Of note, you can't pay for this in the main step, it must be paid after all of your blockers are declared and can be paid durring you resolve when attacks abilities (like lantern ring damage.

As such, your opponent can play as many main phase abilities as he'd like to stop you from attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    So when I attack but before blockers are declared. Got it, thanks.
    Specifically, before you start resolving "when attacking" effects such as Larfleeze. This is because you pay for the ability when you assign to attack and so you wouldn't be able to target your own sidekick for Larfleeze's effect to resolve on.

Would you need to pay for this BEFORE resolving When attacking abilities? I honestly think the option to pay for this IS a when attacking ability. Thus you could resolve Larfleeze, then pay for it after, then move to allow blockers to be declared.

There hasn't been a ruling on this timing interaction has there?

I guess more specifically, wouldn't it be an ability that you would say, pay the fist for then resolve along with all of the other abilities that "triggered" as part of the attack step, and since they are all YOUR abilities, you could choose the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Would you need to pay for this BEFORE resolving When attacking abilities? I honestly think the option to pay for this IS a when attacking ability. Thus you could resolve Larfleeze, then pay for it after, then move to allow blockers to be declared.

There hasn't been a ruling on this timing interaction has there?

I guess more specifically, wouldn't it be an ability that you would say, pay the fist for then resolve along with all of the other abilities that "triggered" as part of the attack step, and since they are all YOUR abilities, you could choose the order.
    The problem is that this is a reactive global. It's trigger window is when you assign to attack. You do not proceed from assigning to attack until you choose whether or not to use it. As such, you do not begin resolving attacking abilities until you have decided to or not to pay for the Doomcaliber Knight global.

Per the usual breakdown:

1. Declare attackers
    2. "When attacking" effects trigger
    3. Declare blockers to the attackers
    4. "When blocked/engaged" and "when blocking" effects trigger
    5. Globals and actions can be played
    6. Combat damage is assigned
    7. Combat damage resolves
    8. Knockouts are applied

This falls right inbetween steps 1 and 2. Technically, you have to make the decision to use the global or not to use it in order to leave step 1, but it can effectively be considered to be timed right in between.

This is because by the time your "when attacking" effects trigger, you've already finalized who you are attacking with and when you do that, you must choose to or not to pay for the Doomcaliber Knight global. By the time you're resolving "when attacking" triggers, there's nothing for the global to react to and it's out of reach.