Thread: Halp, I need advice about old people or something

Halp, I need advice about old people or something

So, here is the situation to add some context. I am a CDAC provider for my mom. Basically a stay at home caretaker. Part of my job is helping manage the bills. Pretty easy stuff, no problem. However, at the end of each month we seem to get pretty low on funds, haven't quite got unmanageable but still making it through with barely anything to spare.

Our cable package costs just shy of 100 a month with all the add-ons. We have a decent size household so we have a pretty diverse taste in things to watch - no problemo. I think I can please everyone in the house with Netflix + Hulu + WWE Network. Neflix would probably need to be premium so 12 bucks, Hulu is 12 = 24, WWE Network is 10. 34 dollars a month and we still keep local channels - awesome. 34 is less than 100.

The issue? My mom is pretty resistant to trying new technology and she's afraid she won't be able to remember how to use anything. My dad on the other hand seems all for it. I could buy one of those blu-rays that turns your TV into a smart TV and try giving it a go for a few months. However, I don't want to disconnect cable before she learns how to use it because she'd get upset about it, but I don't think she'd actually try it with cable right there. Advice?

I myself have 'cut the cord' too and only use Netflix. (Hulu Plus is not available in Canada yet.)

Huge fan of the Apple TV. It has a very simple remote and user interface. A few pointers/suggestions about that device:
    1) Remote has 4 buttons. Very basic. I agree that sometimes people who are afraid of tech get confused or can't remember a process. Much harder to do with this remote. Theere are only so many buttons they can press.

2) Actual interface - you control which 'apps' you see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	appletv_.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	4035
    You can remove the blocks at the bottom, creating fewer choices.

3) Although the upfront cost may be more then another device, I've had far less issues with the Apple TV then any other streaming box. If you want to encourage adoption then avoiding freezing or crashing of a device is important.

Finally I'd avoid any Sony devices. It's not necessarily proven, but wildly speculated they use provisioning servers. Meaning you are getting the content not directly from Netflix, but thought Sony Servers that redirect the content. This has been problematic for me. Creating another potential fail point provides greater inconsistency.

We have a newish Roku and are currently cable free for two years.

We only get Netflix so between internet and netflix it's about $40 per month (sometimes internet is more without cable watch out!).

The roku box works pretty well, It's the default on our TV and we can access netflix from there' there's also an app for antenna channels, so we don't need to switch inputs or anything. We've set it up to a universal remote, so one remote to control them all.

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    The roku box works pretty well, It's the default on our TV and we can access netflix from there' there's also an app for antenna channels, so we don't need to switch inputs or anything. We've set it up to a universal remote, so one remote to control them all.
    Does the app for antenna channels come by default or did you have to install it?