Thread: Thanos Imperative OP

Thanos Imperative OP

The page is up at Wizkids.

Has anyone seen the text of the Thanos and Nova cards yet?

Thanos has the same text as beholder!

If first die to attack... etc. though it might say "your" basic actions.

Nova starts with If More... and involves damage. should be interesting, if expensive at 7 cost.

Got to say, I love the artwork on these three cards.

I'm surprised they didn't do alt-art for the Star-Lord rare to fix the energy issue.

I just thought, though, about how when they do the alt-art cards, like Raven, or Ant-Man, or Wasp, they've been uncommon at best, and it's probably because Wizkids is drawing a line at rare cards getting easily obtainable alt-art versions that are easily free depending on the type of event and/or store the event is played at.

I was just thinking this, because other than Raven, I would have rather have had the Wasp rare than uncommon, and also they used it to fix a typo, so why not use Star-Lord to fix a typo in the energy cost printed, as well? Or a clip-art-o, whatever.

Either way, I think I just realized that Wizkids probably is purposely not printing alternate-art rares.

Also, don't get me wrong - I'd much rather have a brand new card, even if it's not as playable, but if anytime was good for fixing a problem on a card, even more than the uncommon misspelling is the wrong energy type on the Star-Lord, so if they aren't fixing that, they probably aren't going to be making rare OP cards for local-level OP kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Thanos has the same text as beholder!

If first die to attack... etc. though it might say "your" basic actions.

Nova starts with If More... and involves damage. should be interesting, if expensive at 7 cost.
    Nova says something like: "If more than 3 of your characters are damaged on the opponent's turn, Nova doesn't receive any damage."

I saw this OP cards last friday in my LFGS.

So Thanos is like Beholder from D&D but it costs 10 to buy? Slightly disappointing...Would've hoped for something more unique.

And that Nova. Hmm...Can't think of a use off the top of my head. Ah well.

Thanos = Beholder for people who don't like D&D but want to play AiA teams. Also better stats.

Indeed, and if you were to say, instead be using Limited with to get Thanos, that could still easily be a viable maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Indeed, and if you were to say, instead be using Limited with to get Thanos, that could still easily be a viable maneuver.
    Limited Wish is a good way to get him, I agree. I guess he frees up a slot to use a different Beholder in an action-based deck (maybe to stack Beholder and Doctor Strange to deal 3 damage per action die to your opponent).

Yeah, ok. On second thought, I could see him work.

Nova, though... I have to side with Jwannabe on this; when will Nova be considered not to take damage? Can an opponent choose to damage him first before his ability kicks in if we're dealing with combat damage? I'd love to see the ruling on this, if only to see the reasoning they could use to make the ability viable.

Beholder and Thanos don't combo together though?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Beholder and Thanos don't combo together though?
    Beholder - Minion Aberration could be used with Thanos. Combined with Doctor Strange - Master of the Mystic Arts, you deal 3 damage to your opponent per basic action used. With the new OP Thanos, you could deal 12 damage just by attacking with Thanos before counting combat damage. And if one of your actions happens to be dimension door, use it on Thanos and you could, depending on Thanos' level, have enough to deal over 20 damage right there.

A silly and probably impractical combo (even talking about it, I realize that WOL Batman would be a better complement to Doctor Strange than Beholder), but it would be fun to pull it off nonetheless.