Thread: Constantine Antihero and Ring of Magnetism

Constantine Antihero and Ring of Magnetism

Would you be allowed to have your opponent reroll Ring of Magnetism even with a ring lock set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Would you be allowed to have your opponent reroll Ring of Magnetism even with a ring lock set up?
    yes.

Constantine's ability doesn't target, it lets you pick a die (either in play or out). Thus Ring Lock wouldn't actually stop anything.

As a follow up, Constantine's ability doesn't target characters, and thus wouldn't be affected by the ring lock, even if it did target (like Bleez or Breaker do)

Hi. This may be queried in competition as “pick a die” could easily be interpreted as “targeting”.

Further: as for the ring not being a character, I’m not sure this necessarily means that Antihero bypasses the loop combo: I believe a previous WRF query was answered with this quote from the rules:

“Other powers redirect a game effect (usually damage). When an
    effect is redirected, the target of the effect changes from its original
    target to the new one chosen as described in the game text, even if that
    target was not a legal one for the original effect. The source of the effect
    remains unchanged from the original.”

So, even though the character that the ring is attached to is not a valid target itself for JC Antihero’s effect: the ring forces the effect to try and target the character, finds that the target is an invalid one and splutters to a halt, doing nothing.

The fact that WRF have declared that attached/continuous action dice/gear are assumed to have their text abilities “transferred” to the relevant character dice muddies this further (at least in my – now throbbing – head). Paul.

PS: I think there may (possibly) be an ambiguity on who exactly chooses the die in question when Antihero's ability kicks-in. This will only be a potential issue if the opponent has more than one action die in play or in play/reserve pool on any given play. I started a new thread hoping to hear opinions on this ruling.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atreides View Post
    Hi. This may be queried in competition as “pick a die” could easily be interpreted as “targeting”.

Further: as for the ring not being a character, I’m not sure this necessarily means that Antihero bypasses the loop combo: I believe a previous WRF query was answered with this quote from the rules:

“Other powers redirect a game effect (usually damage). When an
    effect is redirected, the target of the effect changes from its original
    target to the new one chosen as described in the game text, even if that
    target was not a legal one for the original effect. The source of the effect
    remains unchanged from the original.”

So, even though the character that the ring is attached to is not a valid target itself for JC Antihero’s effect: the ring forces the effect to try and target the character, finds that the target is an invalid one and splutters to a halt, doing nothing.

The fact that WRF have declared that attached/continuous action dice/gear are assumed to have their text abilities “transferred” to the relevant character dice muddies this further (at least in my – now throbbing – head). Paul.

PS: I think there may (possibly) be an ambiguity on who exactly chooses the die in question when Antihero's ability kicks-in. This will only be a potential issue if the opponent has more than one action die in play or in play/reserve pool on any given play. I started a new thread hoping to hear opinions on this ruling.

Paul.
    Ring of Magnetism has long been established as only interacting with effects that can target characters in the first place such as Power Bolt or most globals.

Additionally, Ring of Magnetism does not redirect effects, it limits the legal targets your opponent has to target effects in the first place. The end result is that all the effects end up on the equipped character, but it's very important that you draw a distinction between redirect effects and target limitation as redirection does not have the same rules as regular targeting.

I'll leave the discussion of Constantine's effect in relation to who chooses which die in the relevant thread.