Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Counter to aggro teams

Counter to aggro teams

I did a quick check and didn't see any relatively recent discussion on this, so I thought I'd start a thread - I've been seeing and hearing a lot of people concerned about aggro teams like the infamous Guy Gardner and other "Turn 3 kill" teams, specifically how to deal with them. So if you are one of those people, this thread is for you!

I'll start it off - I was playing a Guy Gardner rush team the other day, and my opponent had about pretty good luck out of the gate, he bought BE turn one, saved a mask for PXG, and then turn two he rolled four fists + BE! So all four of his Guy Gardners went into his bag, setting him up for a lovely turn three, and I only had a sidekick out there.

I forget exactly what happened turn three, but I do know he was swinging with several of his GGs that were boosted up quite a bit. I was all set to take a big smack to the face (not a kill, but half my life), when all of a sudden - what have we hear? Oh, that's right, I brought Mera. And since I saw all those GGs coming, I saved a couple of masks. So I just let GG through unblocked, reduced the damage to 2, and they went into the used pile. Ramp was now interrupted, and I went on to win that game.

Who's next?

As far as stopping the initial charge of a Big E / Guy team, you got it. Mera and Distraction. Later in the game, maybe Toad or Dr Doom could be good.

Aggro teams are only strong early game, you survive and usually that's it for your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by brimmstorm View Post
    Zombie Magneto is the best bet IMO. I've had the best success with turn one buy a Constatine and then pxg twice to buy Magneto next turn. If you can stay alive long enough he shuts them down.
    There in lies your weakness,an aggro team could have dealt you some major damage before you field Magneto, but yes, he is otehrwise great at shutting down aggro teams.

Stop trying to stop aggro teams...

its kind of boring playing the same thing over and over again ( hulk, jinzo, constantine, psylocke, magneto and other stuff.) thats kinda slow and its boring.
    If you really want to stop aggro gardner, just create a team faster than them. That's it, but stop make this game slower with characters like "jinzo" and other stuff because games with 15 and 16 turns its kinda boring.

No one is going to stop playing all the best characters that put up wins because their opponent is board. The discussion is about stopping a turn 3 win, there can be no faster team in the game. Likely some here are preparing for their local PDC event and the Stop trying to win your way thing is not constructive.
    Going second againt this team seems especially rough. Mera sounds useful. I suppose you could also hold up some bolts and magic missle away one or two if you're not packing mera or distraction. Antman global could be useful after attacks are declared.

Quote Originally Posted by fitopineda View Post

its kind of boring playing the same thing over and over again ( hulk, jinzo, constantine, psylocke, magneto and other stuff.) thats kinda slow and its boring.
    If you really want to stop aggro gardner, just create a team faster than them. That's it, but stop make this game slower with characters like "jinzo" and other stuff because games with 15 and 16 turns its kinda boring.
    Guy Gardner + BE is about as fast as you can get right now I think.... That said with this deck in the current meta, why would I not do my best to have a plan to counter it, even if that plan is Distraction or as simple as fielding sidekicks?

Building faster isn't always the answer. Sometimes slowing down is the better strategy. You have to know in each matchup, who's the beatdown and who's the control. Then you hve to know how to play both roles.

Aggro teams are about surviving and setting them to your pace. Attempt to control. That's what most of my decks are based around.

Constantine drops the speed on any aggro team down significantly. Delaying at least 1 turn possibly two, allowing you to get a Zombie Magneto or Hulk into the field to fight off the rest of their speed. Another strategy is Vicious Struggle to stop the initial rush. There is a way to roll the purchased dice turn two, for the turn 3 block, along with fielding sidekicks to absorb some of the incoming characters. Mera doesn't always work for aggro teams. Right now everyone is talking GG bum rush, but Black Widow Tsarina aggro rush is more powerful and she sticks damage in for between 4 - 5 per die, with no way for Mera to counter it. Half to a Third of Black Widows damage comes in whether you block her or not, if you cant spin down character dice.

Also Aggressive Teams are not the only quick teams on the block either. There is a Johnny Swarm Sidekicks build that is T4 and while he has been living in the fridge for sometime, Spidey Bomb is also stupid fast now. Before anyone else says it, you don't even have to half your opponents life to 10 and still hit for lethal T4. These are all aggro teams that have been out for a while now.

Johnny Swarm Link
    Spidey Bomb Link Just remember it was ruled after this article that Spider-Man doesn't get to do his damage if he bombs. Just add Tsarina to the team and buy her instead of or with Ant-Man.

Any suggestions for those that dont currently have mera global or constantine? and cant rely on globals in case of doomcal?
    Suggestions on a team based around toad and maybe beast? maybe prof x for ramp, poly for spinning down toad and beast to burst sides? (someone suggested toad could help counter GG rush mid game and its a card i actually own so wondering about strats for building around him)
    Someone suggested viscous struggle can be rolled turn 2, wondering how this is done exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Any suggestions for those that dont currently have mera global or constantine? and cant rely on globals in case of doomcal?
    Suggestions on a team based around toad and maybe beast? maybe prof x for ramp, poly for spinning down toad and beast to burst sides? (someone suggested toad could help counter GG rush mid game and its a card i actually own so wondering about strats for building around him)
    Someone suggested viscous struggle can be rolled turn 2, wondering how this is done exactly.
    To get a turn 2 vicious set up u'll need a shield, a mask, a bolt, and any energy.

Sequence will go like this:
    Your first turn, you
    spend a bolt to Red Dragon Global, buy vicious struggle for 1 energy.
    spend a shield to silver surfer global/resurection to grab a dice from your bag and into your prep area.
    then on your opponents turn use pxg to move 2 sidekicks from your used pile into your prep.

On turn 2, you will draw 3 side kick dice from your bag, forcing you to add the two side kick and vicious struggle into your bag and have a 33% chance of getting vicious struggle out on turn 2.

Its not the best of odds for consistency, especially when going second, but some odds are better than none lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zeon20 View Post
    To get a turn 2 vicious set up u'll need a shield, a mask, a bolt, and any energy.

Sequence will go like this:
    Your first turn, you
    spend a bolt to Red Dragon Global, buy vicious struggle for 1 energy.
    spend a shield to silver surfer global/resurection to grab a dice from your bag and into your prep area.
    then on your opponents turn use pxg to move 2 sidekicks from your used pile into your prep.

On turn 2, you will draw 3 side kick dice from your bag, forcing you to add the two side kick and vicious struggle into your bag and have a 33% chance of getting vicious struggle out on turn 2.

Its not the best of odds for consistency, especially when going second, but some odds are better than none lol.
    I know that set up too well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1296367875374.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	4111

Quote Originally Posted by zeon20 View Post
    That first game with you during PDC finals was prolly my most memorable game. From feeling like I should scoop from that nova blitz u hit me with early on to coming back was the craziest turn around for me ever.
    I should have kept my masks

Only I can give you a rush in games.

Vicious Struggle won't save you from lethal, therefore I prefer turn 2 Constantine on the draw, although it can be easily disrupted with Phoenix.
    Ant Man Global works only on your characters, but you can achieve similar effect with Transfer Power or Mystic Box.
    Problem with Mera and Distraction is that it hurts your ramp and leaves you at very low life total anyway.
    Magic Missile requires two bolts, which is too expensive.
    On the play it gets much easier.

Another option is using the cost 1 Kobolds and Morphing Jar and wall up.

Black Widow: Stinger + Big Entrance is all you need.

Also toss in Maria Hill: Trained Agent to get Black Widows you couldn't field to Prep.

Also, a solid mechanic to counter aggro teams straight up is life gain. You survive the early onslaught, gain most if not all of your life back (Iron Man + Magic Missile/Slifer Global being my preferred route). By then, you have gained your mid to late game characters while your opponent is still stuck with an early win.

Prime example, my buddy loves aggro. He got me down to one life early on. I fielded Iron Man at level 3, pinged him 3 times that turn. Jumped to 7 life. His turn, I gained more life because of Iron Man blocking. By the end of the game I was at 16 life (could have gotten 20) and my opponent was at 0.

The cost 2 beast also works wonders. On level 1 if he is knocked out while blocking you gain 1 life and deal your opponent 2 damage (per beast die).

Quote Originally Posted by fitopineda View Post

I think there's a happy middle ground between 15 and 3 rounds.

Even 15 rounds is 90 seconds per turn per person for 45 minutes, and I think most turns take a lot less time, so that's still not a huge deal.

This is coming from someone who's been wanting to implement chess clocks since I started playing HeroClix, and still would love to see them in this game as well. I really do hate slow play, but there's a difference between playing slow and neither player losing.

Either way, games can be less than 15 rounds and be more than 3.

I hate three round turns.

edit: Three round matches. Let me play damn it!
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 01-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    I hate three round turns.
    Three round turns? Or three round matches?

I just wish there was something to make games a tad bit longer. Losing turn three just because you happened to go second, or had poor rolls where you couldn't get defenders or needed energy types for defensive globals just isn't very fun. I don't mind aggro teams. I just want to have a chance to play for a few minutes longer :P

An interesting counter to aggro teams is to just play a more consistent team. It's not like they turn 3 kill you all the time, so just by having a more consistent game plan you give yourself plenty of wins.