Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Minotaur - Paragon Humanoid vs Continuous Actions

  1. #1

    Minotaur - Paragon Humanoid vs Continuous Actions

    Hello everyone! I just got this great card and possibly found an interesting use for it. I have posted this question to Wizkids and Dice Anon and now here to hopefully get a consensus on how it would work in this scenario (before the upcoming PDC in St. Pete).

    Minotaur - Paragon Humanoid
    "When assigned to attack, Minotaur captures one opposing die of a lower level. This die remains captured until the capturing die leaves the field or uses this ability again."

    All Action dice have 3 levels. One with no burst, one with a burst, and one with a double burst. These are setup with a progression on the card like Level 1, 2, and 3. Since the Minotaur states that an opposing die can be captured of lower level and does not specify character, can he capture Continuous Action Die?

    What do you guys think? Could he capture those type of dice?

    Edit: I reread the Age of Ultron rulebook (most up to date one on my phone) and it doesn't specifically state action dice not having levels and the card layout does specifically mention the 3 faces being levels 1 - 3. Granted, that could be just from standard formatting.
    Last edited by bahamut7; 12-07-2015 at 05:18 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Well, it has never been said outright I don't think and there are 3 action faces. Plus, I would like to think that Minotaur could be another counter to gear in the D&D set (instead of just Copper Dragons). Of course this is why I would like to get a majority ruling to work with unless I *gasp* hear something from wizkids.

  4. #4
    This is an (ahem) interesting question.

    Action Dice do not have levels, like character dice do. While not specifically stated in the Rule Book, there are two pictorials (in the ASM Rule Book) that denote this:

    Page 3 - shows a picture of a Basic Action Card (Back for Seconds!) and notes the dice symbols at the bottom are referenced as Basic Action Faces. I would subscribe this schema also applies to Action Cards.

    Page 5 - shows a picture of a character card (Spider-Man) and notes the dice symbols at the bottom are referenced as Energy Faces and Level 1 thru 3, character faces of increasing level.

  5. #5
    Ah, I was hoping that a newer rulebook would have some more clarity. Though a part of me still wants to believe that the phrasing "opposing die" was used for a reason, but if that is the way the majority feels in the end (or wizkids actually answers my question), I can live with it. If it goes the otherway it just gives this particular character a little more utility, which I prefer on my characters.

  6. #6
    Common Cerebro also uses the term "opposing die" but was clarified that it could only target characters. So it's not the first time for that wording.

  7. #7
    But you can't knock out an Action dice, so that ruling doesn't really clarify (trust me, I wish it did.)

  8. #8
    An action die is an impossible target because of the text on the card. You cannot capture an action die.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    An action die is an impossible target because of the text on the card. You cannot capture an action die.
    You can capture an action die. Rogue does on one of her versions. Generally you couldn't capture it from the field, but continuous dice can be captured.

    HOWEVER, I agree that this does not work for the reason that action dice bont have levels, they have non-burst faces, burst faces and double burst faces.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You can capture an action die. Rogue does on one of her versions. Generally you couldn't capture it from the field, but continuous dice can be captured.

    HOWEVER, I agree that this does not work for the reason that action dice don't have levels, they have non-burst faces, burst faces and double burst faces.
    Yea, that Rogue also is what helped me lean towards this being a possibility. Her card states that she can capture an opposing action die on its non-burst side (equivalent to a level 1 like her common). IF wizkids were to rule that action dice do have levels in regard to this particular scenario, I would surmise that Rogue was worded that way to prevent confusion for new players during that time (AvX being the first released set). Of course, this is if they gave an answer and it went my way. Since, I probably won't ever hear anything, I will play it as the majority has seen it thus far...though wouldn't it be sneaky otherwise. lol

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Yea, that Rogue also is what helped me lean towards this being a possibility. Her card states that she can capture an opposing action die on its non-burst side (equivalent to a level 1 like her common). IF wizkids were to rule that action dice do have levels in regard to this particular scenario, I would surmise that Rogue was worded that way to prevent confusion for new players during that time (AvX being the first released set). Of course, this is if they gave an answer and it went my way. Since, I probably won't ever hear anything, I will play it as the majority has seen it thus far...though wouldn't it be sneaky otherwise. lol
    Oh, absolutely we discussed this card when lantern ring first came out and as a group we concluded action dice don't have levels. I forget where we found something definitive about it, but iirc we did.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Oh, absolutely we discussed this card when lantern ring first came out and as a group we concluded action dice don't have levels. I forget where we found something definitive about it, but iirc we did.
    If you do recall, please, let me know. The better I know the game, the better I can make judgement calls for my local meta and for my own teams.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    If you do recall, please, let me know. The better I know the game, the better I can make judgement calls for my local meta and for my own teams.
    I found the following in the DnD rulebook. It is from a chapter that is defining the anatomy of Dice.

    Characters have levels (normally three levels, although the NPC has only one); these
    are the die faces that show the die’s custom symbol and the character stats. The leftmost
    character dice face shown on the die’s card is level 1, and the level increases by one for
    each face moving to the right. Note: a die face’s level is different from its fielding cost.
    As you can see, levels are something that characters have, and level 1 is defined as the leftmist character face. There is another section in the book that defines action dice as having a "custom face with a special icon" but "never having numbers".

    Also later in the same rulebook:
    H Levels and Spinning
    Characters have levels (normally three levels, although the NPC die has only one); these
    are the die faces at the bottom of a card that show the die’s custom symbol and the
    character stats. The leftmost character dice face shown is level 1, and the level increases
    by one for each face (thus the next die face on the card to the right of the level 1 die face
    would be level 2). Note that a die face’s level is different from its fielding cost.

  14. #14
    I see your logic, but your second quote didn't really clarify your point.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    I see your logic, but your second quote didn't really clarify your point.
    I guess to clarify my point, twice the rule book uses the phrase, characters have levels. No where does it say that any other die type has a level, except Sidekicks only having one. If action dice had levels, that would be defined, as level, by rulebook definitions, is "the die faces that show a custom symbol and character stats."

  16. #16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •