Thread: Article: Top 8 Breakdown by Character Cards Used

To be fair, there was an Umber Hulk. I LOVE the variety this time. It's so much more refreshing than the WKO lists were.

Cool analysis, but looking at all these lists I can say I'm surprising even myself with how little interest I have in playing unlimited format. I'm sure it's fun, and I'm sure that WizKids will continue to do it, but for me, no thanks. Hopefully, there are some single set events. Would be cool to see how a D&D only constructed tourney would have played out. Or a Marvel vs DC tourney (where you bring 2 teams, Marvel and DC and have to switch off or something). Oh well.

It's only going to get better as we get more cards. We don't even had a pool of cards that matches a single block of MTG yet.

We are doing that next month at my local store. 2 teams marvel and DC. We were also going to try a hero vs villian night with both sets being used. Hopefully things will go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    It's only going to get better as we get more cards. We don't even had a pool of cards that matches a single block of MTG yet.
    GREAT Point!!!

In my area the major store that is running events only runs them in Marvel, D&D separately.

One other store runs Mixed, but this is because some people will only play D&D/Yugioh and others just marvel. I love playing with all the sets when I can. I agree with Dave that having all the sets adds to combos and styles of decks.

I know it says Gobby and Tsarina weren't overused like they used to be, but still scary to see them that strong after 3 more set releases. Great list guys, thanks for putting it together.

I'd like to see some sort of meta game where you have to use two cards from each set. (UXM, AVX, D&D, YGO, DCJL)

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    I know it says Gobby and Tsarina weren't overused like they used to be, but still scary to see them that strong after 3 more set releases. Great list guys, thanks for putting it together.
    Tsarina's ability is obviously good no matter what but her appearances were generally more about the fact that she's a good, consistent two-drop.

Interesting. With that data we could compute a "similarity index"--for each player, add up the total number of times the cards on their team were used on the other Top 8 teams. A higher number represents a team more similar to the other teams, a lower number is one that is less similar. Lowest possible score is 0:

Kelly: 30
    Charlie: 28
    David W: 28
    Sadat: 28
    Christian: 26
    Chris: 22
    Vallee : 19
    David M: 12

Thanks! This is awesome. I could be wrong but the last big event I saw some top 8 teams for were about 85 percent similar. Looks like a good direction for the game but I hope they do keep a focus on "block" events as well.

@Dave I know this is an old post, but did anyone have the top 8 from Canadian Nationals. Plus I saw lots of Jinzos but none of those teams made it to the top 8? Because you where there I was going to ask your feelings on that.

I haven't seen a similar listing from CanNats.

Jinzo is punishing, but he's just not a win condition. Teams that tried to play for a long game with Jinzo generally got beaten before it could really matter.