Thread: Guy Gardner

Guy Gardner

Hello!

I am really new to them game, and am trying to work through strategy and everything else that goes with this game. My friend and I played last night, and she killed me with Guy Gardner. Can anyone offer some advice on how to combat him? My card selection is thin, so I am not sure what I can do.

The second question has to do with the Ultron Captain America, Super Solider. The text states "While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character abilities". Since I am a n00b, does this mean that only damage that would come from the text ability on a card and/or basic action damage? Or is attacking considered in this as well?

Thanks so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by StrieEyes View Post
    Hello!

I am really new to them game, and am trying to work through strategy and everything else that goes with this game. My friend and I played last night, and she killed me with Guy Gardner. Can anyone offer some advice on how to combat him? My card selection is thin, so I am not sure what I can do.

The second question has to do with the Ultron Captain America, Super Solider. The text states "While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character abilities". Since I am a n00b, does this mean that only damage that would come from the text ability on a card and/or basic action damage? Or is attacking considered in this as well?

Thanks so much for your help!

A few things. For beating guy gardener try things like, Uncommon Joker (JL), or even Rare Loki (AvX). They can block your friend from fielding Guy although Guy rushes pretty fast. Another good card is Mera from WoL, she has a global that lets you reduce damage from a character to 2 if it was greater than 5 to begin with.

Once your collection grows look at Zombie Magneto, he can really shut down those weenie rush teams.

For your Capatin America question he reduced damage from abilities. Like Green Goblin Gobby who deals 1 damage per sidekick fielded to your opponent whenever you field him. This damage is reduced to 1 total by Cap. Attacking doesn't count it's "combat damage" and the other damage is "ability damage"

I like Z-Mag, he's like a crazy anti-aggro silver bullet.

Here is a good way to conceptualize counters. Play with Guy Gardner (even if you have to proxy it) and experience what its like from that side of the table. Get to know what you don't want to see as the person playing Guy Gardner. Then to counter it run that thing you didn't want to see when playing with it.

Black Widow: Stinger and Lyssa Drak: Future Sight is a good combo to make him rethink using Guy Gardner. Black Widow is a great blocker with her Aftershock ability of dealing 1 damage to your opponent when she gets KO'd while Lyssa Drak forces your opponent to take 2 damage to field Guy Gardner when you predict that character at the end of your turn.