Thread: Which gravity feed should I get first

Which gravity feed should I get first

New player and this would be my first gravity feed purchase. Which one would you choose between UXM, ASM, AoU, WOL or JL. And why.

I have the starters for UXM, AoU and JL. And a few booster packs for each set as well. Have a bunch of good ones from ASM Rainbow draft. Including Vulture/Silver Sable.

AvX if you can find it at a reasonable price. It's got a lot of power cards you'll want. After that I recomment UXM or WOL.

Honestly, if you could grab an AvX at a fair price, I would say it first. I would also suggest Yugioh before your choices. That set has so many good cards it's crazy. As for your selections, I would choose AoU or WoL. I lean towards AoU only because I feel the cards in the set have more use and aren't as limited as some of the WoL set. Either would be fine though.

AvX is considered extremely rare, and has so many great cards, so like the others are saying, if you can find that at a reasonable price, go for it.

Other than that, it's kind of personal preference. They all have good pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Honestly, if you could grab an AvX at a fair price, I would say it first. I would also suggest Yugioh before your choices. That set has so many good cards it's crazy. As for your selections, I would choose AoU or WoL. I lean towards AoU only because I feel the cards in the set have more use and aren't as limited as some of the WoL set. Either would be fine though.
    That's what I thought about the Yugioh set. I'm not familiar with Yugioh and don't know the characters. And to be honest I not really fond of it or that genre. That's the reason I didn't include it. I will have to take a long look and decide if I want competitive cards from a set I don't like or get cards I like because of the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Qpublik View Post
    That's what I thought about the Yugioh set. I'm not familiar with Yugioh and don't know the characters. And to be honest I not really fond of it or that genre. That's the reason I didn't include it. I will have to take a long look and decide if I want competitive cards from a set I don't like or get cards I like because of the theme.
    I don't know any of the YGO lore either. I did complete the set though because I think it has some mechanically interesting cards. Like most sets it's at least 90% chaff, but that's how CCGs tend to work.

If you just want cool characters Amazing Spider-Man is the set to go with. It has Luke Cage which is all you need to be cool.

Just read through all the cards. SO MANY FANTASTIC cards. This was the first set created but not released right away due to license issues. Ignore the card "art" and just read the abilities and you will be floored on what lies in wait.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Just read through all the cards. SO MANY FANTASTIC cards. This was the first set created but not released right away due to license issues. Ignore the card "art" and just read the abilities and you will be floored on what lies in wait.
    Looked at the cards, and there are some very powerful cards. That makes the decision tougher.

While everyone is recommending AVX, if you're just looking for fun play, I say go with the set that you have the most personal attachment to the characters with. For instance, it's unlikely anyone will recommend the Uncanny X-men set, but I'm personally a huge X-men fan and there hasn't been a ton of X-men representation in the other sets so if I was starting over from scratch even with the knowledge I have with power of cards, that's the gravity feed I would buy first.

As for overall solid sets that are fun to play, I think the WoL and D&D sets are two of their most fun and best put together sets.

New player and this would be my first gravity feed purchase. Which one would you choose between UXM, ASM, AoU, WOL or JL. And why.

I have the starters for UXM, AoU and JL. And a few booster packs for each set as well. Have a bunch of good ones from ASM Rainbow draft. Including Vulture/Silver Sable.

Welcome first off to the game!

I would go with the group on AvX, but good luck finding it. Honestly outside of that, if like Marvel, go ASM or AoU. Both have been quality sets. You can have fun drafting them with friends that way also. If you think you will play competitively in constructed, get a YGO feed before you can't find them anymore.

UXM is my sentimental favorite. I still love playing with that set.

I'd suggest getting what you are most interested in. You won't go wrong with any set. All of them have strengths and weaknesses. If there is a particular IP/theme you like more than others, go with that.

Don't worry about the older stuff. Don't pay out the nose for AVX or YGO. Yes, there are some very powerful cards, but there some great stuff in the other sets too. You would be better off tracking down individual cards through Cool Stuff Inc or through trades here. You can often find Common & Uncommon sets pretty inexpensively.

I don't see any AvX feeds for sale, except one for $250. No thanks. So I think I know what I am going to do.

When I first started I wasn't going to ever buy YGO cards, but there are too many good ones. We have a hoarder of cards and dice at my FLGS and I should be able to get some from him. He already offered a garbage bag full of dice I could go through and pick out ones I want. So getting a few cards won't be a problem. He is the event organizer for the group in my area and wants to keep people interested. And the store has a full gravity feed on the counter. I always like to pick up a few packs when I stop in, so I will start buying YGO boosters and see what I get.

I think I am going to get a WOL feed. My local library has the entire series of collected edition trades and I just started reading the storyline. Didn’t want to mention it earlier, because I wanted unbiased opinions. Now that a few of you suggested WOL my mind is made up.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Last edited by Qpublik; 12-11-2015 at 02:44 PM.

I think outside of avx if you had to make a good team from one set WOL would be the best.
    Uxm was the only feeds I've bought and while I loved it, heroics really watered down the set. I find I use iceman, Prof x, Psylocke and sometimes storm and that's it (though scarlet witch has good stats on an avengers team).

From the other sets? Ultron drone team, jl villains/ firestorm bolt, d&d dragons? yu-gi-oh does have some options even though I dislike the IP.
    Spiderman seems fun but the two basic mechanics in the set would be tough to build around.
    Wol has more options as a stand alone. Though now I'm curious when you breakdown most used cards from each set which comes out ahead besides avx.

I bought some boosters of WOL and could see the synergy, but have had problems winning with a WOL deck. It must be that I just don't have enough dice. I never seem to have the right charactures in the field or in play (prep/used pile). Like not having a Green Lantern in the field so most of the Blue Lanterns aren't as good as they could be. Or only having one Munk and one Indigo -1 die.