Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The health of your local scene

The health of your local scene

So I wanted to know how everyone's local scene is going. In the past 6 months, since the summer let's say, would you say your local scene is growing, staying consistent or dwindling? What factors do you think are contributing to your observation?

June-September -> Dead so Dead i almost wanted to quitting the game! But thanks to my will and some ideas and encouraging words here i stood against all odds!!!

Now we have at least 1 more active and with that 3 more new players to the game!!! We had 2 Events in almost 1 month timespan(November to December) and it went well with 6 people(thats 200% more activity the whole year^^).

It is just a small raise in players but a better one to show the store owner that we wil grow (i hope so) in the new year until Summer 2016. I already planned a full 4 month scedule (without the releases that will come) and hope it will attract more and more people.

Small growing, but consistent 2 Man evening at the dice masters day in the week :S .

Edit: One thing to say for this year as a golden Rule! TALK TALK TALK! Talk to the People = TTTP .
    Sun Tzu will hate me but, dont talk on your own Dice Masters Ground. Talk to the people on their or different Ground even without Dice Masters Things in your Bag! It helps really to understand people, get closer, make friends and maybe get some involved in your crazy Dice Game your love so much!

Mine is much better since we had a new shop open, the old one gave up on dice masters, but our PDC attendance was pathetic. We had a total of 3 people. I still have to do the report on it but I don't even know if it's worth it...

Normally on Tuesdays we have between 4-6 people on average, and as much as 11.

My local store has 14-18 people per week. I only joined when War of Light came out (oh boy, had some catching up to do), so I couldn't say how much it's shifted over time. However, since I joined, I'd say it's been staying strong.

One thing I appreciate is how nice people are. The mood is very relaxed during tournaments, and we regularly give each other and new players some advice. It might be because constructed tournaments are always free; our only prizes are the promos and the great time we've had. So we might as well make it a great time, eh?

When Justice league released we had about 14 players. Considering how small our town is, I felt it was solid. Now we have about 6 of us. 3 from before and 3 new players. Most guys quit because they don't have the money or time to keep up. It's dying here, not looking good for a comeback. Some days I consider selling my collection but I still like the game.

From what I can tell before Australia Nationals in July there was not much in terms of a local scene, some stores do drafts mostly.

After Nationals there were 2 stores organizing events, most of the time player count would average about 4. I think in September one of them just stopped organizing events entirely and as for the other store people just weren't turning up for events. In both instances these stores took me at least 40 minutes - an hour to get to (by train or car)

Sometime in September/October I got my local store to start organizing events and I've been suggesting different formats to try so it doesn't get stale and it's more appealing to newer players. Currently we do events every fortnight with numbers ranging from 4 - 8 people. I'd say my local scene has definitely grown with a good mix of regular competitive players and casuals.

Sundays we get somewhere between 2 and 4 - but they're the people I'd want to play with. Apparently on Thursdays they get somewhere in the teens for players but my Thursdays are busy so I can't attend those, and its casual night so even if I could I'm not sure I would do it frequently.

My store's September to November league had 51 unique players participate. Our PDC event last weekend had 25 players. A typical vanilla event in any given weekend likely has 12+ players. I am happy with these numbers and they continue to grow.

To players wondering how to get here, a couple tips:
    (1) It's on you. Stores have lots of money making options. If you want your game of choice to be a priority, it's up to you to make it one.
    (2) Create a regional FB group to create a sense of community.
    (3) Hold learn to play events where you give out free teams to new players. Get to store to advertise these.
    (4) Be the volunteer TO for your store and give a lot of thought to the format for each event. If you do weekly events, always doing drafts will price a lot of players out. Always doing unlimited constructed will turn a lot of players off. I do one draft and one unlimited constructed way month. Other formats (mixed starter set constructed, d&d etc) fill the remaining slots. Listen to your players here.
    (5) Get your store to post your events on their calendar/fb page/website. And put it on the WizKids Event System.
    (6) Understand that this is not about you. I've seen a lot of scenes flop due to TO ego. Let a new player beat you. Give away spare cards and dice to new players.

This just scratches the surface but it's the key points. I've spent SO MUCH TIME helping to build my local scene but it really has paid off.

We have two events each month. Usually hybrid constructed-sealed format, but we've done rainbow draft a few times. Biggest night we had 12. Usually we are between 3 and 6. To play everyone buys 10 boosters (12 if rainbow draft). Everyone gets prize cards, but we don't do anything beyond that. Our store doesn't offer anything else. I'm the TO for our local store and I try to keep it casual and relaxed and make it fun for everyone.

Our local scene in Louisville is fairly strong. We normally have 2 events a month, but December has been tricky with holidays (we ARE holding an Uncanny X-Men draft on Saturday). Normally we do Rainbow Drafts, with some Little Cup (or Thrifty Shades of Gray as we call it). We generally have between 6 - 14 players. The game room at our FLGS, The Destination, is pretty small. When 14 players and a TO show up it gets a little crowded.

I'm pleased overall with how things have gone. We have had a high churn rate, with several players coming for a few events then either quitting the game outright or just not attending our events any longer. As the only store that runs Dice Masters events in the city, that is a little concerning. I also know, though, that gamers are a fickle group and move from one game to the next on a regular basis. But, in a city the size of Louisville, I'm happy to get this many players on a consistent basis.

We have events/open play at my FLGS every two weeks and have three to five players. I only started recently, but it seems as though there were more players before. But after seeing that other places only have a few players, I feel having a few players each time is not too bad for a small town like Fargo, ND.

My local store( Atlanta Games)runs two to three events a month. The store just opened in June,but until September we only had four to six players. Now we average eight to twelve. We lost tow of the old players but have picked up a lot more. One thing I, as TO, did was go to all the other stores and try to set up a schedule for events that always for players to store jump, also cross promotion. The learn to play events with free demo teams really helped we got four new casual players. I will not lie in August it looked like the games was going to die at Atlanta Games, but it took some time and effort and it worked out.

We are growing. I think consistently playing every week is a key important part of keeping a scene going. we currently have 3 regular every week players, 5 additional people that come time to time, and another group of 10 or so people that are playing during the week on various days. OVerall, Dice Masters sells very well at the game store and people are starting to come out to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    My store's September to November league had 51 unique players participate. Our PDC event last weekend had 25 players. A typical vanilla event in any given weekend likely has 12+ players. I am happy with these numbers and they continue to grow.

(1) It's on you. Stores have lots of money making options. If you want your game of choice to be a priority, it's up to you to make it one.
    (3) Hold learn to play events where you give out free teams to new players. Get to store to advertise these.
    (4) Be the volunteer TO for your store and give a lot of thought to the format for each event. If you do weekly events, always doing drafts will price a lot of players out. Always doing unlimited constructed will turn a lot of players off. I do one draft and one unlimited constructed way month. Other formats (mixed starter set constructed, d&d etc) fill the remaining slots. Listen to your players here.
    (5) Get your store to post your events on their calendar/fb page/website. And put it on the WizKids Event System.
    (6) Understand that this is not about you. I've seen a lot of scenes flop due to TO ego. Let a new player beat you. Give away spare cards and dice to new players.

This just scratches the surface but it's the key points. I've spent SO MUCH TIME helping to build my local scene but it really has paid off.
    This really emphasizes such a key element-put the work in and it will grow. People flock to a larger group of gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post

Where is your store?

My locals is in Sarnia and is doing pretty good. Rainbow draft and constructed usually average about 10 people. However these formats only have a few regulars player both. Half (or more) are different crowds, some only play draft and some only play constructed. I see that as kind of a problem.

I'll be honest; I'm part of the crowd that only plays draft. Why? I don't have avengers vs x-men cards/dice so I don't even want to bother with it. Some people at my scene take the game way to seriously and bought a ton of those dice (with the cards). I'm sure there are going to be some people that tell us we don't need that set but I disagree.

The store I have been playing at every Tuesday for 3 or 4 months has now gone to "constructed no AVX". I find that pretty annoying as I just bought a c/u avx set. Due to the holidays and the PDC I have not been going on anyways. I hear they are down to 2-4 players from the 6-8 players we usually had every week. Not sure if it just because of the holidays, going to hold judgement until January when I make my return to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Billy View Post
    My locals is in Sarnia and is doing pretty good. Rainbow draft and constructed usually average about 10 people. However these formats only have a few regulars player both. Half (or more) are different crowds, some only play draft and some only play constructed. I see that as kind of a problem.

I'll be honest; I'm part of the crowd that only plays draft. Why? I don't have avengers vs x-men cards/dice so I don't even want to bother with it. Some people at my scene take the game way to seriously and bought a ton of those dice (with the cards). I'm sure there are going to be some people that tell us we don't need that set but I disagree.
    This is why I try to avoid using my AvX stuff at my FLGS. I still use some cards sparingly, but more for fun than to wreck everyone. I will say that the AvX starter hasn't been impossible to find, so I wouldn't feel terrible about running those cards either. The unfortunate part comes when someone newer to the game asks questions like "is there a Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, etc." because then you have to give that awkward "technically, but your best bet is ebay" answer.

So overall the game continues to build and add it sounds like. Good to hear in all cases.

Mine here in Perth is holding steady
    6 to 8 players
    But a majority of player are not focus on unlimited constructed, but more alternative restrictions, such as 2 of ever rarity, ect. ect .

Here in Greece our scene is slowly raising. I think there are 2 stores organizing events. The first store that's close to me usually does 1 tournament every week but sometimes 2 if we the players are in the mood. We usually gather 4 to 8 people here and in the other store 2-6 people I think. Strange thing is many people come regularly in the store and buy boosters and boxes but they never show up in events. I hear they just play in their homes and are not interested in coming to our events. But yeah if you consider that in September we only had 1 active player we are growing.I hope our community raises in Europe too. It's a great game and we should all try to promote it.

The scene in Discordia Games in Bremerton, WA, is also growing, too, from an average of 6-8 people when we started in July to a current average showing of 10-12 players each Saturday. We've had nearly 40 unique participants, and if all of our "regulars" were to show up at once, we would probably have a 16-person tournament. I'm actually pretty damn proud of this technological terror we've constructed here. When the event started, the store thought we'd be useful for padding their numbers so their other, "more serious" games - HeroClix and Attack Wing - would get more favorable prize support. They have quickly tossed that logic into the shredder, as Dice Masters has become one of the store's largest dedicated organized events.

Sunday died because of some drama. Now the only Dice Masters in town is on a day I can't really attend so I'm 100% out of being able to play locally. I heard they get a decent turn out though so good for them.

We are growing.

We probably have a core of 8-10 players show up each week and then a smattering of 10-12 players who show up sporadically.

We've went from one store locally having events to three so that's huge. You can now game in dice masters organized events every Thursday or every other Sunday and Monday!

The facebook group has picked up a lot. We are planning to host a couple of learn to play events to try and pick up more players.

We have a ton of stores in the area carrying product. I know of 5 game stores, 3 (of 4) targets and 2 (of 3) walmarts that carry the product. On top of that two of the local comic shops started getting them.

Good times for us. WoL was a high point everyone loved it.