Thread: Cyclops: Field Leader +

Cyclops: Field Leader +

Cyclops: Field Leader
    While Cyclops is active, whenever one of your [Bolt] characters deals damage, increase that damage by one (no matter how many Cyclops dice you have fielded).

+
    Human Torch: "Flame On!"
    While Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die).
    Global: Pay [1 Bolt] when you deal damage with an action die or global ability to deal one extra damage to one target.

if i have Human Torch in field, and i field Cyclops, i'll do 2 damage or only 1 damage?

thanx sorry for my english

Hi Gadda and welcome!

With Cylcops - Field Leader on the field, Human Torch will deal 2 damage from his card text ability. It was ruled some time ago that Field Leader and other type abilities will always boost combat and character damage of appropriate targets but will not boost Global damage. So in this case, yep - you get +1 damage!

I think the question was as FL was fielded. Does he count for enhancement then. Was that what you meant gadda?

Ahhhh, yeah, I missed the timing aspect.

That is a good question. If it was my ruling, I would rule "yes" and here's why. (And NO, Dave & Randy, it's not because I have a perpetual man crush on Cylcops.) I dunno if "fielding" and "fielded" are separate states or when/if the timing on that move from the reserve pool to the field is clarified. As such, I would suggest that the effects occur (if anything) simultaneously.

I could very well be wrong and would be happy to hear the opposite argument.

I would also rule that his ability would apply, for several reasons.
    1) "Fielded" is a reference to past tense. "When fielded" is equivellent to the phrase "after you pay the cost to field and place this card in the field."
    2) Everything in Dice Masters is performed one step at a time, with simultaneous effects resolving at the discretion of the active player.
    3) Other characters with "when fielded" effects have been ruled to be able to target themselves, implying that when fielded resolves after a character enters the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I would also rule that his ability would apply, for several reasons.
    1) "Fielded" is a reference to past tense. "When fielded" is equivellent to the phrase "after you pay the cost to field and place this card in the field."
    2) Everything in Dice Masters is performed one step at a time, with simultaneous effects resolving at the discretion of the active player.
    3) Other characters with "when fielded" effects have been ruled to be able to target themselves, implying that when fielded resolves after a character enters the field.
    4) There's nothing wrong with having a man crush on Cyclops.

If we're talking Cyke's enhancement of damage, this isn't a fielding effect it's an active effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    If we're talking Cyke's enhancement of damage, this isn't a fielding effect it's an active effect.
    The question is, put simply: "When Fielding Cyclops does he enter the field BEFORE or after When Fielded effects trigger?" His active is active if he's in the field, and thus the question.

To reiterate my points above, DM uses a system of wholly resolving actions before moving on. Thus, Feilding Cyclops is resolved before resolving when fielded effects, thus Cyclops in now active.

An example to put WK rules validation behind this is: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...=fielded#p3811 Where Hawkeye has to enter the field to get his +1A +1D, and that happens BEFORE his when fielded effect resolves. There is also an example of a character who, if fielded onto an empty board is forced to harm himself, but for the life of me I can't recall who that is.

I was just making sure that the distinction was clear for those reading!

It reads to me that this would take effect. Cyclops is fielded, HT deals damage. Cyclops is active, damage is being dealt, damage should be enhanced.

It's possible the timing has me confused-ish, but I would allow it. Put me in that category.