Thread: PDC Utah finals video.

PDC Utah finals video.

Hey guys I just finished watching a Video of the PDC Utah finals and I saw what I considered to be so many rules errors I just wanted to check here to make sure I'm not just seeing stuff wrong before I comment on it.

Here is the video for anyone interested.

I put time stamps after my questions for when this stuff occurs in the video.

- Alright so right off the bat we have Jocasta attacking and 2 Black widow tsarinas and 1 Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark blocking her. As far as I understand it the Jocasta only redirects one of the attacking Black widows damage right? Not all 3 like is shown in the video. (19:10)

- This next one is a little fuzzy for me, if you target Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark and she redirects the effect do you have to redirect to the opponents Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark if that character has a ring of magnetism on it? Basically is a redirect "targeting". (23:50)

- Lastly I was under the impression when you played Ring of Magnetism you had to put it on a character immediately, in the video he lets it sit there and during priority on his opponents turn he "equips" it to an opponents kobold. (42:45)

Anyways I felt really bad for the player on the right feels like he got robbed in the finals because of all the rules mistakes. Let me know if I'm just crazy guys thanks!

I think Jocasta is fair. All 3 deal combat damage simultaneously, so that total is the first time she is damaged that turn.

For the second one, I know I read somewhere that redirecting does not target...but I don't remember where.

Edit...looks like Ring of Magnetism was fair too. I never saw that "also errated" section at the bottom of the Yu-Gi-Oh part of the official errata page. Thanks, zacgree.
    Last edited by Mordred414; 12-14-2015 at 10:44 PM.

From the rulebook:
    "Both players assign damage. Damage occurs simultaneously. (In the rare case where it is
    relevant, the attacking player assigns first, although damage still resolves simultaneously.)
    Each attacking character that was blocked assigns its attack value in damage to the
    character(s) blocking it. If more than one character is blocking an attacking character, the
    attacker can choose how to divide the damage between the blockers. Likewise, each blocking
    character assigns damage equal to its attack value to the character it blocks (characters
    that can block more than one attacker must split their damage just like attackers do).
    If two or more characters block a single character, add their attack values together."
    Jocasta takes all the damage at once (all attack values added together).

Wonder Girl gives you the option of changing the target when she is targeted.

Based on this errata the Ring has Continuous that allow it to move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=4588

Continuous: Actions with Continuous move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played and can stay there at the end of the turn.
    The following cards are also errata’d to have Continuous:
    Ring of Magnetism: Sidekick Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Action Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Monster Attraction

Those are the reasons they were ruled the way they were.

- Alright so right off the bat we have Jocasta attacking and 2 Black widow tsarinas and 1 Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark blocking her. As far as I understand it the Jocasta only redirects one of the attacking Black widows damage right? Not all 3 like is shown in the video. (19:10)
    Nope ... Jocasta was done wrong - as per the ruling on the Wizkids forum - http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...Jocasta#p20439

- This next one is a little fuzzy for me, if you target Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark and she redirects the effect do you have to redirect to the opponents Wonder girl Cassie Sandsmark if that character has a ring of magnetism on it? Basically is a redirect "targeting". (23:50)
    I maybe wrong ... but that is how I would rule it

- Lastly I was under the impression when you played Ring of Magnetism you had to put it on a character immediately, in the video he lets it sit there and during priority on his opponents turn he "equips" it to an opponents kobold. (42:45)
    As previously mention ... that has been errata

Quote Originally Posted by zacgree View Post
    Based on this errata the Ring has Continuous that allow it to move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=4588

Continuous: Actions with Continuous move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played and can stay there at the end of the turn.

The following cards are also errata’d to have Continuous:
    Ring of Magnetism: Sidekick Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Action Attraction
    Ring of Magnetism: Monster Attraction
    You are absolutely right that the ring is continuous, and that when played it moves to the field and can stay there. HOWEVER, When played it also must be played on a monster.

Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities can only target that monster. (Move from the Reserve Pool to the Field Zone when played and can stay there at the end of the turn.)
    This is what the ring text would look like with the Continuous text spelled out. While the other two examples seem to have been played correctly, this one was clearly not. Just because the Ring was errata'd to contain the keyword continuous doesn't mean that it changes the way the die is played, it simply clarifies the rules intent of when the die is removed from the field. Previously Ring would only have stayed until end of turn, because of meta rule that all effects end at end of turn unless otherwise stated. Adding continuous to the ring changed the ring to not end at end of turn. It did not change the restriction that the ring must be "play(ed) on a monster."

To be a bit more specific, Continuous doesn't say "may play to the field zone and can stay..." it says "WHEN played..." and the only way the ring says it can be played is on a monster.

@Drakolich Yep, these are all three very incorrect rules violations.

It's important to discuss some of these things with the TO before playing, but aside from the Jocasta multi-proc, these are very niche rules so it's at least understandable.

Jocasta was explicitly rules to only proc once per turn no matter what the instances look like (instances have been almost completely removed from the game and now everything is done by source instead).
    Redirects ignore the targeting requirements of the effect being redirected but must have a target to redirect to. This leads to very sticky situations with opposing Wonder Ring builds, but in the end advantage goes to the player who gets their ring online first.
    Ring of Magnetism must be played on a character when activated. It was not and so should have gone to the used pile during the cleanup step and been unavailable during the opponent's turn. Continuous simply states that it can stay around like Gear, not that it works like Millennium Puzzle. Millennium Puzzle's effect is what allows for it to be activated from the field at global timing, not its continuous nature.

I don't know if Ken was "robbed" per se, but I'd be very salty and definitely have a few words with the TO to straighten things out.

Edit:
    I heard them discussing how the Jocasta ruling only counted for multiple dice being blocked. That directly contradicts the most recent ruling which was definitely out more than a week before the event and so was legal for that tournament.
    "The question here was posed if a single Jocasta die was blocked by two characters, but the same would be true if two Jocasta dice were each blocked by one or more characters with at least 1A."
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=7686
    Last edited by Necromanticer; 12-15-2015 at 01:18 AM.