Thread: Article: PDC Paralysis

So this whole article is about the Support / Counter cards.

I have this problem all the times:" how can i counter this and this..."

The Answer is as simple as it could be. DONT COUNTER IT!

You have a Pile of 20 Life. Sure there are ways to reduce it fast to zero. But if you can buffer it, why not and play around.

I asked on Facebook about a matter with Themed teams. Villains only Teams have high costs, have almost no ramp solutions and their overall mechanics are not as good as Heroes or different Sets.

So i ask about, how can i counter Hulk GG with Johnny Storm combined?
    The answer was something like Apocalypse or Sabretooth just too survive it with 1 guy and block with him.

It solved the matter but not the rest. So looked around and found it. Parallax with distraction and some masks characters.
    The GLobal is a good tool and combined with Distraction it gave me many options too defend myself and buy also bigger characters.

I like your article. And for me to solve such a problem is always i play against myself (you have someone who supports you with it! Cool thing! ) and try to change the team here and there and look how i can go better or different.
    If i can survive in 2 of 3 ways or threats its ok and i hope to deal with third through pure luck sometimes^^.

I agree Ressless, you don't need every counter to everything, just enough of a counter to slow certain strategies enough that you can win faster than your opponent.

After all, a counter is, at its heart, only a stop gap measure to slow your opponents strategy, not prevent it completely.

I made a team one time that I called "An Answer for Everything" that had counters for most of the popular Win Cons. Problem was, with only 10 cards to work with, there was no room for a win condition of my own. Very frustrating to play against, but would often go to turns in tournament play. I built it more as a thought exercise.
    If you know what you are going to face, it is easy to build the counter, like your girlfriend did to you. But in prepping for PDC/WKO and beyond, we could see anything and you are right, you can't prep for it all.
    I am facing a similar problem. My unlimited team of choice is a super aggressive Guy rush team that my opponents are building teams to counter, so I am trying tweak my team to counter their counter. Prismatic Spray solves a lot of problems (Constantine, Zombie Magneto, Hulk, Jinzo, Lyssa, Paladin) but has to come up at the right time.
    Great post, great summary of what we're all going through right now.

I had to go through exactly this when making my team. I settled for being able to handle what I thought would be the most popular. Like in mtg, the decks that don't cost a lot of money to put together if you don't have any of the cards are the ones you will see the most of if people are paying attention to the meta. For me that was guy Gardner decks, and throwing in A answer to the Ring deck. Other than that I just tried to make sure I had at least a plan for certain cards I couldn't put direct counters in my team for. That's my favorite thing about this game, as more cards come out it turns into rock, paper, scissors on which team will win since you can't counter every strategy AND have a consistent fast win condition (yet).

It's nice that there are more people that think about this game the way I do =D

I think beyond the Utility / Answer for everything in a deck, you need to play a team you know. Knowing you can allow the 15 damage through to win you the game next turn is more important than having a counter to Jinzo. Playing that team a bunch, and then thinking about which cards you used, the order of purchases and assembling your win con faster is what will fine tune your team. Once I feel comfortable with that, I move onto examining global abilities that I didn't select and how they affect my win con and whether they improve or inhibit my team. For example, if someone brings PxG and I did not, how does that change my game strategy? Does it make the team faster? Then i move on to Resurrection, Distraction, Relentless, Iron Man, etc.

I've mentioned that my local meta isn't a large one (we're working on it, another store is talking about supporting DM with OP events), but as you've noticed with your wife, 2 people is a meta all its own. One of my friends started reading online advice before I did and he saw the same answer you've been given here: Life is another resource and a win with one life left is a win. Your article is great and I'm sure you've a got a handle on the situation, but talking it out helps you and the rest of us. One of the things I'm trying to do in terms of total game economy is to see if my counters can go towards win conditions. The same version of Wasp that taxes your opponent for using PXG provides a double ding with Torch/Firestorm strategies. Hulks (Umber or otherwise), Grundy, or Jinzo could pair with Stealth Ops or Dimension Door for a solid win condition. Or, if your local meta runs to PXG maybe you want to just run a weenie deck with or without the Super Rares but with a Big Entrance and/or Beast NG.

An interesting thing to note about this game is that no matter how cut throat you make your team to be, it all depends on dice rolls to fire off. A miss roll here or there is all it takes to change who has the upper hand. Meta teams are strong, but they r not unbeatable because like everything else, they are vulnerable to bad rolls. So sometimes the best counter is to pray lady luck is not on your opponents side and capitalize lol.

I'm considering trying Deadman: Possessive Talents to slow Guy alongside Contantine, what do you guys think?

Deadman: When fielded chose a character. That character cannot attack or block until Deadman is no longer active.

Obviously this is a stop-gap measure, but if it slows down Lantern Ring teams and Guy it might be worth a shot.

Edit: Never-mind, just read the Wizkids ruling. Only works on an active die and a single die at that, so bad counter is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephernaut View Post
    I'm considering trying Deadman: Possessive Talents to slow Guy alongside Contantine, what do you guys think?

Deadman: When fielded chose a character. That character cannot attack or block until Deadman is no longer active.

Obviously this is a stop-gap measure, but if it slows down Lantern Ring teams and Guy it might be worth a shot.

Edit: Never-mind, just read the Wizkids ruling. Only works on an active die and a single die at that, so bad counter is bad.
    Deadman can stop 1 character die if i am correct for remembering. A Joker or better a Loki:Gem keeper can help here out more, you just have to be prepared that they are traget number 1 for removals.

I have 2 big issues. First, only one of my friends really wants to take DM to a pdc/wko level. We have a good gathering of DM players but most are local slightly more casual games. Our constructed tournaments are themed. Today is "energy discrimination" in which your team can consist of only one energy and the BACs if they have globals can only have globals for your teams energy type. So in short, my friend and I practice thurs evenings and saturdays before and after the DM event and we try other things to switch things up. But it'll never be the same as a larger pool of competitive players to practice against. Second is I'm a chess player at heart so I love to counter threats in games like this. But you cannot counter everything. I know that by the time ive decided on a team, I just have to ask myself "have I brought a counter to the biggest threats of MY team specifically" and just roll with it and realize that no matter how much planning goes into this... no team can counter everything. Sometimes your win con has to just be faster or more durable than your opponents... especially if you both brought the same team.