Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An Action Deck, help needed.

An Action Deck, help needed.

So, Dave has been mentioning that action decks are looming, and it got me working on something.

Constantine -Hellblazer
    2 Shield
    While Constantine is active, before your opponent's Clear and Draw Step, you may name a character. If that character is fielded this turn, ignore its text until end of turn and it cannot attack this turn.

Storm - Weather Witch
    2 Mask
    Storm takes no damage from action dice.
    Global: Pay . Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice.

Elf Wizard - Lesser Harpers
    3 Bolt
    Experience (once per turn, gain a +1A / +1D token when you knock out a monster)
    When fielded, action dice cost 1 less to purchase. When assigned to attack, move an action die from your used pile to your prep area.

Cerebro - Supercomputer
    3 Mask
    Place Cerebro on a character card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it (it is still in the field). Your opponent's dice from that card cost a minimum of 2 energy to field. This cost can't be reduced.

Vibranium Shield - Cap's Protection
    5 Shield
    Place this die touching your target character. It does not go to your used pile. You may place this die in the used pile at any time to prevent all damage to the character for the rest of the turn.
    Global: Pay to prevent 1 damage to a character or player.

Loki - Gem Keeper
    5 Mask
    When fielded, choose an opponent's character card, canceling all previous choices. Your opponent cannot field that character while Loki is active. This effect lasts until you field another Loki.

Red Dragon - Epic Dragon
    7 Bolt
    Breath Weapon 3 (pay 3 to deal 3 damage to your opponent and all his creatures)
    While active, once per turn when you use an action die effect, you may use a second copy of its effect.
    Global: Once per turn pay . When you purchase your next action die this turn, it costs 2 less (minimum 1) and you deal 1 damage to your opponent.

Blue-Eyes White Dragon - Monstrous Dragon
    7 Bolt
    Once per turn, you may knock out one of your monsters to give this monster +3A.
    Global: Pay and knock out one of your monsters to reduce the cost of the next die you buy by 2 energy.

Possibly Mjolnir, Prismatic Spray or Lesser Wish as well. Also looked at Kwannon, Lord of D., Ring of Mag. and Blue Dragon.

Basic Actions:

Casualties
    2 Generic
    KO target Sidekick.
    ** KO an additional target Sidekick if able.
    Global: Pay or . Gain 1 life whenever an opposing Sidekick is KO'd this turn.

Imprisoned
    4 Generic
    This die captures any number of opposing characters with a total fielding cost of 2 or less. This effect lasts until canceled or you damage your opponent (return the captured die to the field).

Ok, Outline: Early Ramp and Burn with Elf and Red Dragon global. Early Control, Removal and sustain with Constantine and Weather Witch/Casualties Global.
    Plan: Stall their purchases with pressure from Constantine and Cerebro, eventually dropping Loki and Imprisoned to pin them down. Use Weather witch and Constantine to keep your Loki safe from targeted actions or when Fielded effects. Drop your big bombs and swing for 20ish damage.

Subtleties of this build: Red dragon global is useless after you get your first imprisoned out, unless you are trying to pop imprisoned in the Main step, then Breath weapon a lot of sidekicks for life gain from the Casualties global. You could then roll the newly placed in the used pile imprisoned with the Elf wizard attack trigger, and copy it with the red dragon while active. Thus getting 2x imprisoned against anything breath weapon didn't kill.

Weather Witch lets you redirect Casualties and Vibranium shield (your ONLY targeted action dice) to act as removal or Green Goliath counters (WK ruling pending).

Blue Eyes and Red dragon both act as ramp and roll stabilization while the typed action dice synergize with the characters we plan to field.

Again, this is very untested, I don't own much outside of DnD at the moment, so I'd love to get some feedback from you guys that have been playing with these cards more. I am also looking for input on other options to bring, if you think something on my list is lacking.

For the same cost as Vibranium Shield - Cap's Protection you can use Millennium Puzzle - The Eternal Dungeon. I tried it out in an action themed team after D&D came out and quickly fell in love with it. I noticed a couple of the top teams from Nationals used it too. The instant removal that sends a die to the used pile is 2nd to none.

+1 for Millenium Puzzle.

You have discounting built in, which is good, but I don't know that you'll be rolling the amount of dice you need to be rolling. If you dislike/are unwilling to use PXG, perhaps look at Kobold Swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    +1 for Millenium Puzzle.

You have discounting built in, which is good, but I don't know that you'll be rolling the amount of dice you need to be rolling. If you dislike/are unwilling to use PXG, perhaps look at Kobold Swarms.
    Ok, so PXG, Resurection, Silver Surfer, etc. All of these cards are globals that if my opponent brings, the deck has plenty of Masks and shields to take advantage of. If they don't bring them, then I have more ramp than they do as I can buy action dice faster and cheaper, and cycle those action dice into play with Elf wizard.

I agree that not having PXG limits the explosion that would be possible with this deck, but you also have to keep in mind that other than Kobold swarm there isn't currently a ramp mechanic that I can't just borrow from my opponent. As for Kobold swarm, Elf Wizard is just inviting them to field monsters so I can Experience ramp.

The other thing to think about is that, statistically, Action die give 16% more energy than character die, due to their 3x2 energy facings. With Cerebro and Vibranium Shield(or puzzle) there is solid typed energy generation.

Not that I don't think that PXG wouldn't be god in this deck, but isn't Loki a better choice given the above logic?

Shadow, I'm cool with that line of reasoning. I think it's why Christian didn't bring PXG on his top 8 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Shadow, I'm cool with that line of reasoning. I think it's why Christian didn't bring PXG on his top 8 team.
    That, and he ran Pris. Spray, which means if he Pris. Sprayed his opponent they couldn't use his PXG (cause he didn't have one). This of course disrupted their ramp pretty hard every pris. spray turn.

Debated playing Pris spray in this deck as well, but decided against it for the moment. the point of the control of this deck isn't to hurt their ramp so I can have better economy, it is to shut down their field so they can't play what they DO buy.

He didn't have Pris Spray or any nonbasic actions. No one in top 8 had pris.

I think that economy control is pretty important in this game, because it has its roots in deckbuilding and therefore euro games. There is definitely economic engine building even if it IS superheroes and dragons and other craziness.

I had to have a nap before I came back to read this topic. An action deck looks like a lot of fun to try, but holy man, I don't think I could pull it off.

Kudos to you for coming up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    I don't think I could pull it off.
    Same here... totally not my play style.

Yeah, I'd like to give feedback but this is something that's hard to just look at and *know*.

I fear that inclusion of Storm will just mean that your opponent can move stuff back where you don't want it.

He didn't have Pris Spray or any nonbasic actions. No one in top 8 had pris.
    Ah, you're right. I did see someone was playing it, and also not playing PXG, and used the Pris. to prevent their opponent from benefiting, but I guess that deck didn't make it to top 8.

I think that economy control is pretty important in this game, because it has its roots in deckbuilding and therefore euro games.
    Fair enough, you have convinced me. Along with my subtle realization that the only way to "scrap starting" dice in this deck builder is to prep them sidekicks. Looking at replacing BEG with PXG global. I understand the energy fixing that BEG gives by allowing me to field a sidekick, and then scrap him for effectively 2 energy, but I'd rather count on having PXG every time, and getting BEG IF my opponent brings it.

For the same cost as Vibranium Shield - Cap's Protection you can use Millennium Puzzle - The Eternal Dungeon
    Change Made. I like it, and Vibranium shield was mostly Green Goliath counter anyway. After looking at the top 8 list, I don't think that heavy of an investment is needed.

I fear that inclusion of Storm will just mean that your opponent can move stuff back where you don't want it.
    I thought that too at first. then i looked it over and realized that... none of the action dice I'm using actually target anything, except Casualties. Imprison doesn't actually target (as seen in the WK UXM FAQ:
    "Can you help me understand how Storm, Weather Witch’s Global Ability interacts with Imprisoned?"
    A. The short answer is: it doesn’t. Imprisoned doesn’t use the word “target.” Target implies a set number of targets, not a grouping that meets a requirement (as Imprisoned has you select)."
    Millennium Puzzle and Cerebro also do not appear to target, and thus cannot be redirected by Storm.

As for the plan of using Casualties and redirecting that to my character's non-NPCs, triggering action die is entirely up to me, when and IF I do it. If I did do it while my opponent had Mask energy in the reserve, I'm likely not doing it while I have characters on the board for him to redirect it to. Either way, I have alot more control over when I use the basic action, forcing my opponent to either waste his masks redirecting things back to his own sidekick (and thus possibly not having masks for his PXG, or using it in response to his PXG activations.

As for the whole of the deck, We are now sitting with:
    Constantine - Hellblazer 4 Dice
    Storm Weather - Witch 3 Dice
    Elf Wizard - Lesser Harper 4 Dice
    Cerebro - Supercomputer 2 Dice
    Loki - Gem Keeper 3 Dice
    Millennium Puzzle - The Eternal Dungeon 1 Die
    Professor X - RYM 1 Die
    Red Dragon - Epic Dragon 2 Dice

BACs:
    Casualties
    Imprisoned

Departing thoughts: Loki and Constantine is too much control? Drop Loki in exchange for a finisher with a control mechanic?

I also feel like as useful as you think the elf wizard might be, it's a little too much redundancy with red dragon global also in the mix. I would take it out for another form of removal, or what might be better is add in a card that can close the game for you. You can stall the game a long time but it doesn't seem like you can finish the game for a while. I'm not sure what to suggest that would work into the buy structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Departing thoughts: Loki and Constantine is too much control? Drop Loki in exchange for a finisher with a control mechanic?
    Umber Hulk Paragon beast? Seems just what this deck ordered; little bit of muscle, lots of board wipe(to the used pile even). Bit expensive to field, but with the newly added PXG, it should be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    I also feel like as useful as you think the elf wizard might be, it's a little too much redundancy with red dragon global also in the mix. I would take it out for another form of removal, or what might be better is add in a card that can close the game for you. You can stall the game a long time but it doesn't seem like you can finish the game for a while. I'm not sure what to suggest that would work into the buy structure.
    I can definitely see that. I can always keep her in my mind if Swarm takes off, and drop her back in, but until then I should take a character that can bring the pain, while controlling my opponent. I already looked at swapping Loki for Umber Hulk. the used pile clear of Umber Hulk along with his High A stat seems like a good step toward that.

Dropping EW, would leave me short a lot of bolts and needing an early to mid range bolt source. Too Cool for Words comes to mind, but I'm not really running any +1A buffs to multiply, anything else in that price range that would synergize and threaten?

So, I decided to go with this for my team: http://www.dicemastersdb.com/team-bu...5026-3;1409-1;
    NOTE: Soaring is a place holder for Hellblazer, and Invulnerability is a place holder for Casualties.

Now I just need to find someone who will let me test it with printed proxies. MUST find more people for my local community.

I'm a big fan of invulnerability. Allows you to attack as much as you want if your only option is to buy the action die.

Is Millenium Puzzle only able to be used during attack step?

If you wanted to play via Hangouts, I'd be down for helping you test it this weekend.

I'm planning to use Casualties instead of Invulnerability, they're just both 2 cost. Puzzle has been errataed to be usable as a global, not ONLY during Attack step.

As for Hangouts, that sounds great, gotta make sure my web cam is viable though. Haven't used it in ages. Will post when I find out.

Sounds good! It'll be easier once I get the other sets so you can just tell me your team, and I'll "play along" on my own board.

I got my phone to work as a camera, and can set up a time to play this weekend. My gmail is shadowmeldk, if you want to message me. As for teams, I can send you image links, or even a Dicemastersdb link, so you can follow along.

Works for me! That email is at gmail.com? Mine is rajolimedia at gmail dot com.

Yessir, Gmail.com, just got around to adding you. Might not be able to play the deck I wanted to play, but I should be able to get something moving.

Has this been tested yet? I think it could be pretty controlling but I wonder if it wins fast enough. I guess you can get to Red Dragon easy enough for a strong character.

Hoping to help test it tonight on Hangouts. Join us!

Visiting the in-laws and watching hockey... can't. But have fun!