Thread: New to dice masters need help please!

If you're collecting, I'd go with the oldest sets first. Probably yugioh, it has the 2 most valuable rares (jinzo, blue-eyes white dragon). They are getting harder to find.
    Uxm is still easy to find cheap but probably weakest in value. Prof x, ant man and iceman are the the best cards of the set and they are commons and uncommons.

D&D has some neat abilities in set, (Kobold swarm, dragon breath weapon).
    If you like the theme go for it, otherwise it plays really good in set but doesn't mix as well ( except the BACS, they are awesome.)

JL has the best super rare outside of AVX , constantine. But competitively has not made a huge impact outside of villains (cheetah, blue beetle, black manta) or if you like single energy teams, firestorm is good for bolts.

I really enjoyed war of light. It also plays really well in set. The two big cards are guy gardner ( starter) and rare lantern ring. But it has the the overall best super rares ( black lanterns, lantern battery, star fire, parallax) for resale value. Probably my second recommendation for gravity feeds, but should be noted, if your not SR hunting ebay is flooded with this set.

Ultron is good if you like avengers. It had the next 2 good super rares after Constantine, zombie magneto and Jocasta.

Asm seems to be vulture and silver sable plus smaller neat tricks. It being the newest of the bunch, I would hunt it last.

The main point is if you can get AVX, all other choices are pointless. Any doubles you get are worth more than most sets of equal rarity.

So my buy list would be
    AVX
    Yugioh
    Wol
    Then I would go common and uncommons sets unless your a completionist.
    If so uxm and JL sealed cases (2 gravity feeds) are cheap now so I'd go that route.
    Then ultron and d&d.

I'll echo that AVX is a good way to get competitive cards, but it's hard to find. Also, AVX feeds are only 60 packs, and aren't guaranteed to have a super-rare (which is a big deal; AVX's most expensive cards are its super-rares). However, you're still pretty sure to get some pretty darn powerful cards. Green Goliath and Johnny Storm are arguably two of the most dangerous cards in the game, and they're only uncommon.

I mostly agree with jwannabe's comments (I like UXM and D&D more than he does, and War of Light a bit less), but I'll add a caveat: keep in mind that with one gravity feed, you'll get all of the commons and uncommons, and most of the rares, with (generally) at least one super-rare. Depending on whether you're approaching this as a collector or as a player, it might be more worthwhile for you to get one gravity feed and hunt down singles after rather than buying a sealed case.

Also, buying Yu-Gi-Oh boosters is a bit frustrating; there are some absolutely WONDERFUL cards in there, but the majority of the cards are not; this is a set with 40 rares and super rares (the most of any set), and there are only around a dozen that I find decent. You'll still get some great cards to play with if you get a feed (among the uncommons especially), but don't hold out much hope regarding the rares to avoid getting disappointed.

And last but not least: strongly consider buying any remaining starter decks if you're looking to play competitively. All of the starters, with no exception, have cards that are worth playing around with.

Great advice in those above comments. If you look at our wiki, you can see some of the most competitive decks and cards that make them up. You can usually find some deals on older sets like War of Light, Age of Ultron or justice League online. Try our trading page for some people looking to sell. Hit up your local game store for singles or other players who may have extras to give you.

Mainly go after the sets you enjoy. If you want to be a collector, start with that and build to the other sets as you go. Enjoy the game!

I am also new to the game. I haven't made my firt purchase yet but it seems since my local wal Mart has a n AvX starter I should grab that. But I have limited money supply so I was wondering what is absolutely essential? I don't believe my local gaming store has any dice masters. But I haven't been there in a while. Now I don't really want to play competitively, but may consider it later. I love comics so JL , WoL, AoU, UXM, AvX, and Asm are deff sets I want to get. I can't stand Yu gi oh, and I do like DnD, except 4th edition. So what should I do with limited funds? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio87 View Post
    I am also new to the game. I haven't made my firt purchase yet but it seems since my local wal Mart has a n AvX starter I should grab that. But I have limited money supply so I was wondering what is absolutely essential? I don't believe my local gaming store has any dice masters. But I haven't been there in a while. Now I don't really want to play competitively, but may consider it later. I love comics so JL , WoL, AoU, UXM, AvX, and Asm are deff sets I want to get. I can't stand Yu gi oh, and I do like DnD, except 4th edition. So what should I do with limited funds? Thanks for any help.
    Well, if you don't intend to play competitively, just go with whatever set's characters you enjoy! All of the sets are fun to play with by themselves and they all have their own quirks and mechanics.

With that said, if you might consider playing competitively later, the AVX starter has some absolutely fantastic characters; Storm, Beast, Hulk, and Human Torch are all excellent characters to play with. Plus, Iron Man, Cap and Spider-man aren't too shabby either. The only issue you might run into is that you'll have a hard time getting additional dice for these characters.

Oh, and also if you might want to consider competitive play, look into the D&D starter set; it has, arguably, the best set of basic actions of any starter out there, including one (Magic Missile) that has great synergy with some of the AVX starter characters. With that, you should have a good base to build from.

After, choose one or two sets to buy boosters from and buy their starters (if you haven't already) and focus on them for a while. Once you have a decent collection of that (or those) set(s), branch out and build from there.

Welcome to the game and good luck!

Thank you, now I know there are a couple yu gi oh cards that are part of the meta which I just plan to purchase. Obviously too with them releasing other sets I'll breed to keep up but as for staples for competitive play are there others besides those already mentioned? Also what is PXG? I see it mentioned constantly elsewhere but have no clue what it is. I thank you so much for the help. I just wish I knew other players around my area so I could actually play this game. That has pretty much what kept me from getting into it. I live in Oneida,NY a very,very small town. Actually considered the closest thing to a city within a 45 min. radius. But anyway thanks for the help.

See that's why this game is so appealing cuz common and uncommon cards are actually great and useful. Not like magic where 2/3rds of your deck had to be rares
    The other great thing is that even if you need a rare, you only need 1 copy of it (and can supplement it with common dice).

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    The other great thing is that even if you need a rare, you only need 1 copy of it (and can supplement it with common dice).
    And the other OTHER great thing is that since decks in Dice Masters are smaller than most games (8+2 cards) and rely on you choosing when you purchase what die, deck building is significantly easier and more flexible than in Magic.

Thank you, now I know there are a couple yu gi oh cards that are part of the meta which I just plan to purchase. Obviously too with them releasing other sets I'll breed to keep up but as for staples for competitive play are there others besides those already mentioned? Also what is PXG? I see it mentioned constantly elsewhere but have no clue what it is. I thank you so much for the help. I just wish I knew other players around my area so I could actually play this game. That has pretty much what kept me from getting into it. I live in Oneida,NY a very,very small town. Actually considered the closest thing to a city within a 45 min. radius. But anyway thanks for the help.
    Ok. For Yu-Gi-Oh, outside of the aforementioned rare Blue-Eyes and rare Jinzo, most of the other good cards are not rare.

Here is a (non-exhaustive) list of really useful stuff I personally use or saw being used from Yu-Gi-Oh:
    -Doomcaliber Knight - Fiendish Fighter: It has a terrific global that prevents your characters from being targeted. Won me several games.
    -Doomcaliber Knight- Dark Cavalry (EDIT: Previously wrote "Fiendish Cavalry" by mistake. Sorry): It counters global abilities. Generally requires other cards to be used repeatedly (like Polymorph). Can be pretty nasty though.
    -Goblin Attack Force - Goblin Squad: It has a global ability that forces characters to block. Other similar abilities were released after but they were more expensive to use, so it's still the best of its kind for some situations.
    -Obelisk - Fist of Fate: When it's blocked but not knocked out, it hits your opponent for its full attack. Since it's pretty beefy, it can really, REALLY hurt.
    -Thousand Dragon - Noxious Nostril Gust: Its global ability allows you to get action dice for cheaper. Seeing as some strategies rely strongly on action dice, this can be really useful, especially since you can use it several times in a turn.
    -Millenium puzzle - The Eternal Dungeon: It takes any creature and moves it to the used pile at any time after you've put it on the field. It's arguably one of the best forms of spot removal in the game, but it's expensive to buy (which is easily resolved with, say, Thousand Dragon).
    -Ring of Magnetism - Action Attraction: This forces your opponent to target only a specific monster. It's very useful, especially if you find a way to put it on a character that can't be targeted.

I'd continue, but I actually have to leave for now. I'm sure others will fill in for any glaring gaps I've left.

EDIT: And keep in mind, these are just things from Yu-Gi-Oh. I didn't go in the staples for the other sets in that post; sorry about that.
    Last edited by ccm00007; 12-31-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Fixing a mistake in the name of a card I listed in this post. Just realized my mistake.

Rare Slifer is a rare and he's a card worth considering.

Yes they def made it easy with just having to get one card then just get some common dice. A thousand thanks to all. I saw somewhere that the silver surfer is good to use, though as mentioned just about any AvX card is useful in some way. But with UXM are there better versions of cards in AvX that make them obsolete? Again thanks for the help. I would be interested in competitive play just not in the foreseeable future.

Yes they def made it easy with just having to get one card then just get some common dice. A thousand thanks to all. I saw somewhere that the silver surfer is good to use, though as mentioned just about any AvX card is useful in some way. But with UXM are there better versions of cards in AvX that make them obsolete? Again thanks for the help. I would be interested in competitive play just not in the foreseeable future.
    You're welcome for the assistance; I'm pretty sure I can speak for everyone in saying we're glad to help.

About your question, though: are some AVX cards obsolete? Not that much. One thing about Dice Masters is that since the meta is constantly changing, and since deck building is so flexible, very few cards ever become obsolete. Even the most useless looking card can suddenly become a great counter to some deck that takes over competitive play. The main exception to this are cards with no abilities, especially those that are so terrible because other versions of the card are objectively better (see, for example, Vixen from JL, Lizard from ASM).

That's not to say that Dice Masters doesn't sometimes do modified versions of previous abilities. However, when they do, there's always some twist that can make the original useful in some way, even when we don't realize it on the spot.

I should point out, though, that it's not UXM that went after some AVX staples: It's actually Dungeons & Dragons. For example, Silver Surfer's global allows you to draw a die and put it in your prep area. However, it deals you two damage. One of the basic actions from D&D (Resurrection) does the same ability without hurting you. That's not to say that Silver Surfer doesn't have its uses (especially in the recent trend of Vicious Struggle decks, a.k.a. "Shakespeare" decks), but most decks will prefer Resurrection to Silver Surfer.

Punisher - Big Nothing from AVX is another one that was partly replaced. He deals two damage to every opposing character when he attacks, unless your opponent pays 4 life. However, with D&D, they released a number of characters with "Breath Weapon", which damages your opponent's characters AND your opponent when they attack, but it requires you to pay energy to activate it. Again, there are still situations where one would want to use Big Nothing, but most people who want that ability will likely look into Breath Weapon characters (which are all dragons) instead.

Some formerly useless AVX cards are actually, in my opinion, growing more useful. For example, the Thing, which relies on your opponent having more creatures than you, is actually benefiting from the fact that a lot of characters are based around that very concept in Amazing Spider-man. I'm actually considering building an Underdog deck for fun, and to use the Thing as part of my win condition (the common is essentially unblockable if you have underdog)

Anyway, I hope this long rant is of some use to you. Again, good luck.

P.S: I agree with Scum that rare Slifer from Yu-Gi-Oh is worth considering. However, since you're on a budget, I should point out that it has the same ability as Magic Missile. It's still worth using because you don't need to use a basic action for it. However, if you get the D&D starter, I'd suggest putting Slifer a bit lower on your to-buy list.

Great advise on here from the community. As I and others have stated, buy what you like and play with that. If you love Marvel, or DC or D&D, use those sets. The others will come if you decide to play competitively. If you decide to play only socially, it won't matter what you are "missing", you will be happy with what you have. Enjoy the game!

Yes, I haven't played yet but I already feel totally invested in this game. I seepeople are paying on hangouts. I don't have access to a laptop but can you play it on mobile? Again thanks for all the advice. So basically buy every starter and then go singles or gravity feeds from there. I see compete sets of commons and uncommons with dice going fairly cheap on ebay so that route seems plausible. If I can play on mobile and any of you play on there would you be willing to help me out with game mechanics and such when I do get cards? I would greatly appreciate it and would like to get to know other DM community members. Thanks again