Thread: Article: Pretending to Know Stuff Vol. 6

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries

Article: Pretending to Know Stuff Vol. 6

Great article, this entire series has been valuable to me as a deck builder and player, as well as entertaining to me as a reader. It is a fantastic form of encouragement for new players when we can point out they don't need AvX to be competitive at the highest levels of play. Having said that, if I'm reading it correctly, there is a good global and action hate card in AvX that is Mask energy. Overshadowed by the dreaded and ubiquitous PXG cards from UXM, Professor X, Powerful Telepath has a while active effect of shutting down your opponent's use of globals or actions unless they pay 2 life (avoiding the GG ping that Wasp triggers). I will cheerfully admit I'm not cool enough to have thought this up on my own. Nicholas Pham, who just placed 1st in PDC at San Diego, wrote it up in an article about overlooked/underplayed cards in 2014.
    Last edited by StrangeBrew; 12-30-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback! It's true the uncommon Professor X of AVX is reasonable action/global hate. But when compared to Jinzo, it misses the mark considerably. Jinzo could cost your opponent all their life on one turn. Professor X is limited to 2 life per turn and you miss out on having pxg in a potentially valuable team slot. It fails to wow me in a meaningful way on its own (frankly, I guess, so does DCK to some degree). For me, the point really is that the game is growing, and I think it's doing it at a healthy pace (I am not overly disappointed with product delays). I think we'll continue to see abilities creep from one energy type to another, though maybe not in identical ways. This is great because it keeps us building, playing, and experimenting.

I'm waiting on a cheaper character with mcrooks ability, it's fair and fun, and not so powerful that a lower cost character wouldn't be able to have the ability since it's a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! It's true the uncommon Professor X of AVX is reasonable action/global hate. But when compared to Jinzo, it misses the mark considerably. Jinzo could cost your opponent all their life on one turn. Professor X is limited to 2 life per turn and you miss out on having pxg in a potentially valuable team slot. It fails to wow me in a meaningful way on its own (frankly, I guess, so does DCK to some degree). For me, the point really is that the game is growing, and I think it's doing it at a healthy pace (I am not overly disappointed with product delays). I think we'll continue to see abilities creep from one energy type to another, though maybe not in identical ways. This is great because it keeps us building, playing, and experimenting.
    I agree completely that card for card the Rare Jinzo is a better card, even with PX AVX Uncommon being 1 pt cheaper per die to purchase, just wanted to point out a mask option was there. In my local meta it could also be sleeper card as I'm not playing against PDC players. They see a PX, they think they know what they're looking at, they get a nasty surprise. Yes, the really great part is that this game is growing soundly and solidly. I'm not too concerned about product delay, either. My local stores frequently don't see single packs until the product is more than a month out. ASM has been available in single packs locally for less than two weeks. Please keep putting out these great articles, I appreciate them very much.

Solid write up as always JT. I also cannot wait to see if we see the same types of teams in Feb make their precence known for WKOs

One interesting point about PXG: since it is the most frequently used card, the chances my opponent will be fielding this card are high. Therefore, do I construct a team that does not depend on using PXG, giving me an additional card slot to fill?
    There are many winning combinations using only cards with 4 or less purchase costs.
    However, if you construct a team that has a key (winning condition) 5+ cost character(s), the safer bet is to bring PXG and not rely on your opponent having it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    One interesting point about PXG: since it is the most frequently used card, the chances my opponent will be fielding this card are high. Therefore, do I construct a team that does not depend on using PXG, giving me an additional card slot to fill?
    There are many winning combinations using only cards with 4 or less purchase costs.
    However, if you construct a team that has a key (winning condition) 5+ cost character(s), the safer bet is to bring PXG and not rely on your opponent having it.
    Great point! There was a lengthy discussion of this very topic months ago here, and the discussion also mentions AVX Professor X. The reality is these questions are driving the current meta, just as they did for World's. That's (to my knowledge) why Dave Walsh had the common Doomcaliber Knight and not the uncommon as he did at US Nationals. He knew you could use Prismatic Spray to essentially steal the PXG global (since most people want to use the global on their opponent's turn, if you blank the card on your turn your opponent loses access to it during the time they want it most) and he expected to see opponents bring Spray, so he brought common DCK as a counter to preserve his PXG. For him, it was so important that he dedicated two spots to having it available. These are the things that force us to make decisions in building and, frankly, I couldn't be more thankful for them.

If you have a 5+ cost character you need to get out quickly, I dont think you can play without PXG and expect your opponent to always have one. The need for the card is strong for most of the people who play that way. I like the idea of Pris spray but can't see playing with it over PXG