Thread: Newb here asking for sage wisdom from the vets

Newb here asking for sage wisdom from the vets

So about a week and a half ago, a coworker brought in dice masters to work for a few of us to play at lunch. We've all become addicted pretty quickly.
    I have ASM, AOU, WOL starters and 5-10 extra packs for each. Last night our local comic shop was hosting an event, so I figured I'd check it all out.

This newb was quickly introduced to the world of Gobby and Tsarina. OUCH!

After licking my wounds and almost pulling off two victories (1 and 4 points) I've taken a long look at my decks and think I might have a new team to work with.

Care to give a guy some feedback?

2pt Antman Biophysicist (4 dice)
    2pt Guy Gardner Blinding Rage (2 dice)
    3pt Kyle Rayner Artist (2 dice)
    3pt Ultron Drone 1 of a Million (2 dice)
    4pt Cpt America Follow Me (4 dice)
    5pt Deadpool Jack (2 dice)
    5pt Hal Jordan Test Pilot (2 dice)
    6pt Professor X Recruiting Young Mutants (1 dice)

BAC
    Nasty Plot
    Back for Seconds

I'm planning on trying to find a AXM starter deck, as I feel like Beast Mutate 666 would be helpful here, and I'm probably picking up a D&D set for Resurrect and Magic Missle...

Is this a good start? Any cards I should consider using from the starters I own that I haven't named here? I'm also planning on trying to pick up 2 more Guy Gardner nice and will drop one
    of the 4 CA's from the pool.

My concern is that the ramp/churn isn't enough here and I need to make a move to change that, also the global action isn't very strong.

Really just hoping someone will take a look and help a guy out with some advice...

Thanks in advance

DnD is a nice powerful set you're gonna want, its action cards are some of the best in the game. you can look on sites like trollandtoad or coolstuffinc and others to find the single cards you need, like guy gardner gets a lot better when you get yourself miri beacon in the dark. Also a doomcalibur knight can help protect your team pretty well. these are cheap singles you can get from these sites to help round out your collection quicker and cheaper then searching through packs. You can also buy cheap versions of cards you want just the dice for. On the other hand Super Rares are expensive and packs are more then worth buying to hunt for these.
    Last edited by Malifice; 12-31-2015 at 06:36 PM.

There are a couple of ways to go.
    Big entrance seems to be the best way to go for BAC 1. It will speed up your deck and let you flood the board.

BAC #2 can go several ways. Looking at your team you could go vicious struggle and punish your opponent for damaging you.

Or you can go hulk out and take advantage of you ultron drone and guys high attack stats. You may consider ultron peace keeper to capture all blockers so you can hulk out as you please.

I find the idea of guy being made a spidey friend with tangled web intriguing also. That could net you a +3 attack.

I would switch your cap. To super soldier to reduce gobby and Tsarina damage also.

So I would go:
    Big E
    Hulk out

Guy
    U. Drone
    Ultron
    Cap.
    Spidey. Tangled.
    Deadpool
    Prof.x
    And the last spot I'd play around with
    Widow-natasha, -cheap mask, sometimes unlblockable.
    Carnage- sinister -free overcrush
    Kingpin payback - him + cap basically negates Tsarina
    Silver sable - outlaw - churn plus unblockable.

That's one route. Or you could go the kyle Raynor beat stick route and focus on lanterns. Miri riam and jade would be the way to go. And vicious struggle instead of hulk out.

So like this:
    Guy
    Kyle
    Jade
    Miri
    Hal
    Deadpool
    Prof. X
    Cap. Super soldier.

Common lantern ring could also fit in here.

These are just basic outlines. You may play around aND find you like certain cards and not others for your style.

Starter sets? The most powerful set in all of dice masters is the original, Avengers vs X-Men. Second is the Uncanny X-Men. Third being Dungeons and Dragons with Fourth Age of Ultron. Honestly those are the only starter sets I own and I've been successful with those few. When it comes to buying cards in singles, just get the one's you plan to play with. Cheap way to get the common and uncommons is on Ebay. Usually arrive with a set of the dice and cards. Another cheap way to get cards is drafting. You can get a lot of cards by just drafting AAAAND you get to play. Everyone is on equal terms. The best thing about attending tourneys to draft as a noobie? People will gladly give you cards and dice. I have too many doubles in a box which I would happily give away.

The cheapest way to test your deck out, it being free AND you can play against your friends with other people across the world: The Vassal Program. You can run the program with a potato. You can save your teams, test strategies by yourself, play other people and have all the cards you want to play with.

Im looking at your team and its all over the place. I understand you have only a small selection but I can offer a couple of improvements. A few of the cards you're using (also one of my favorites). My biggest question is......what type of player do you consider yourself? Defensive? Offensive? Control? A mix of both?

You mentioned Beast which is a defensive character but I rather hear it from the source.

D&D has the best BACs, and is hands down the best starter because of it.

@Nytmare you should look on the Pro Dice Circuit website ans check out the weekly winners, they are usually pretty good teams to play. (Although I know you don't have all the cards)

When building a teamI start with a few questions;

1) How do I expect to win?
    2) How can I ramp / churn into that win con?
    3) Does my opponent matter and if so, how can I disrupt them?

After this, I begin building.

So? What's your win condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytmare View Post
    So about a week and a half ago, a coworker brought in dice masters to work for a few of us to play at lunch. We've all become addicted pretty quickly.
    I have ASM, AOU, WOL starters and 5-10 extra packs for each. Last night our local comic shop was hosting an event, so I figured I'd check it all out.

This newb was quickly introduced to the world of Gobby and Tsarina. OUCH!

After licking my wounds and almost pulling off two victories (1 and 4 points) I've taken a long look at my decks and think I might have a new team to work with.

Care to give a guy some feedback?

2pt Antman Biophysicist (4 dice)
    2pt Guy Gardner Blinding Rage (2 dice)
    3pt Kyle Rayner Artist (2 dice)
    3pt Ultron Drone 1 of a Million (2 dice)
    4pt Cpt America Follow Me (4 dice)
    5pt Deadpool Jack (2 dice)
    5pt Hal Jordan Test Pilot (2 dice)
    6pt Professor X Recruiting Young Mutants (1 dice)

BAC
    Nasty Plot
    Back for Seconds

I'm planning on trying to find a AXM starter deck, as I feel like Beast Mutate 666 would be helpful here, and I'm probably picking up a D&D set for Resurrect and Magic Missle...

Is this a good start? Any cards I should consider using from the starters I own that I haven't named here? I'm also planning on trying to pick up 2 more Guy Gardner nice and will drop one
    of the 4 CA's from the pool.

My concern is that the ramp/churn isn't enough here and I need to make a move to change that, also the global action isn't very strong.

Really just hoping someone will take a look and help a guy out with some advice...

Thanks in advance
    The problem I see is that there is no clear win condition except hit it until it dies. Someone mentioned Big Entrance, be careful that action is more of a trap than most realize. If you are going to run Guy Gardner, you need 4 dice. If you are going too use Kyle Rayner - Artist, you might as well put in one more Green Lantern to get the most out of him. Your team also has no protection. Distraction, Betrayal, and Removal will be the bane of your existence. Granted 4 Guy Gardners can win the game right away if your opponent isn't ready for it, but with how popular he is, many people are. As you acquire more cards, you will have better options.

Vet advice for Gobby and Tsarina.

Gobby: If your opponent brings him and starts walling up sidekicks, attack and knockout the sidekicks. Gobby's ability is dependent on sidekicks. Also, Hyperion from AoU completely negates villain when fielded abilities like Gobby. Usually these players will not buy anything else, so oonce you neuter Gobby's power source, they are at your mercy.

Tsarina: She is only a pain if you have sidekicks and level 1 characters. Beast - Genetic Expert is the obvious answer for early game. If you don't have him, you need another form of reliable life gain. There are plenty of options and more on the way I'm sure.