Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regional event location disappointment

Regional event location disappointment

If you live in Kansas, you can almost forget attending. I surprised that Kansas City did not get one. They had a great turnout for the Midwest Open (38-40 players). Chicago in February, yikes its cold!!!

I would love to see many locations as well for the WKOs, but unfortunately there are places that will be left disappointed because we have a growing community all over this country. Hopefully next year they make it even bigger and allow more people to make the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacBV View Post
    I would love to see many locations as well for the WKOs, but unfortunately there are places that will be left disappointed because we have a growing community all over this country. Hopefully next year they make it even bigger and allow more people to make the trip!
    Take a map, put a marker on the locations that are hosting regionals and see if you understand the frustration that we have in traveling to one of those locations. I live near (125 miles) Kansas City and the nearest location is Austin, TX or Chicago, Il. Both are 12-14 hour drives (including stops for gas etc). The more places that are left disappointed, the less chance of growing the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses2813 View Post
    Take a map, put a marker on the locations that are hosting regionals and see if you understand the frustration that we have in traveling to one of those locations. I live near (125 miles) Kansas City and the nearest location is Austin, TX or Chicago, Il. Both are 12-14 hour drives (including stops for gas etc). The more places that are left disappointed, the less chance of growing the community.
    Don't get me wrong, I hear your specific frustration and I doubt you are alone. But they have to pick places, and these are the ones chosen. They cannot possibly make it convenient for everyone. The people that want to make the drive/flight will, otherwise those that can't because of the distance hopefully like you mentioned already have great local communities to play in!

Don't get me wrong, I hear your specific frustration and I doubt you are alone. But they have to pick places, and these are the ones chosen. They cannot possibly make it convenient for everyone. The people that want to make the drive/flight will, otherwise those that can't because of the distance hopefully like you mentioned already have great local communities to play in!
    I believe that they "could" make it more convenient for players...organize more regionals! Look, I am not trying to be a hyper antagonist about this, but only 9 regionals for the entire US? and yes, if I wanted to I could fly to Chicago, but in the dead of winter? One bad snowstorm and you may not get out of there for a day or so.

The Regionals, National and World Championship tournament are an opportunity to play against the best players. Since there is only one National and World Championship tourney (at Origins), for many players, a Regional event would be one of the only realistic officially sponsored opportunities to play in a venue with some of the best players due to time and cost restraints.

The decision has been made and the venues chosen. Poor decision.

That is also why there is a great opportunity to play with the Pro Dice Circuit events. We are seeing quality players travel quite a distance to play in these events. Speaks well to the community in general. I am sorry you didnt like the way WizKids picked, but I think most people are happy with the results.

I was discouraged that they didn't have anything closer to Kansas City as well. I was at the Midwest Open and it was great. I played at our local PDC and it was fun, but not the same as a regional event. I ran a tournament in north KC on Saturday and we had 19 ppl show up...without offering any prize support. Hopefully we'll get a regional event "in the middle" next year; we certainly have the player base to support it.

Perhaps they will have a KC event around the same time they had the SLC event this year. Sorry you guys are missing out so hard.

I would like to see more regionals personally so that more of the US is fairly covered.

but I think most people are happy with the results.
    I think you being too optimistic with that statement.

My thing isn't that there aren't more, but that they're only on two dates so I can't really plan on going to a bunch of them.

I think that is intentional. They wan folks to use them to qualify for Nationals, not to create a true circuit of tournaments that happen year round. They don't really want folks travelling to multiple, they want everyone to make it to one. Now as the game grows I expect more venues and perhaps a different expectation, but from WK perspective, they are creating destination events, not convenience events.

I think technically anyone who showed could have made it, but most of the non-us and Canada nationals were actually held after worlds. I wonder if those folks qualify for this year's worlds instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Now as the game grows I expect more venues and perhaps a different expectation, but from WK perspective, they are creating destination events, not convenience events.
    My point, WK should be sponsoring more convenience events in the form of Regional Championships and not destination events (Chicago in February a destination event????) if they are serious about growing the Dice Master Community.

Hopefully a work in progress. I would like to see regional events spread out that all the winners are the participants for Nationals (with second place being a backup for those who cannot make it to Nationals). That should provide 18 regional events spread over the US. Increasing the chances of anyone anywhere able to drive or get to one if they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    Maybe population density was part of their decision making?

https://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/512popdn.pdf
    Yeah I said to someone yestrday, Maybe it's because KC is the West cost of civilization and the East coast of Nowhere :P

It's still growing. Last year there were only 5 initially, then a couple extras were added to the season.

Yeah I am going to have 4 hour flight to get to the only event here in Australia (nationals)