Thread: New player article

New player article

If you are a new player or you have friends who are, what you like to see covered in an article that welcomes new players to the game?

Well I'm brand new, I'm not sure I can call myself a player yet. I've barely played any games. I seem to be spending most of my time buying Dice or trawling through the various sites scraping together info so a really good New player guide would be a real help to me.

I would like to see in one handy place:

Glossary of terms,
    Stater sets explained in practical purchase relevance for moving to competitive play.
    BAC breakdown,
    Advanced play strategies (churn , ramp etc) explained,
    A list of good combo card pairings,
    Explanation of the main type of decks/teams (aggro etc) with examples.
    A few good team examples (that don't have SRs in) of each type of deck so I can try out the different types without mortgaging my house
    How to use Vassal,
    Deck building strategies and good cards to use as a foundation,
    A list of replacements to the sort after SR cards ie: use this until you get Gobby or Tsarina in your team.

Hope this helps in some way. I know that this is mostly available elsewhere but it would be great if it was in one place and updated. A lot of the beginner articles are quite outdated with their examples.

I think the biggest thing when you start is knowing where best to spend your money ive bought 4 starters, loads of boosters and still don't have a clue if I have any playable teams. All part of the fun keep up the good work this site is so helpful.

If you have loads of boosters, you have more playable teams than you realize.

I agree with Drfunsox, maybe a breakdown/ review of cards and sets saying what is worth it what isn't, how they play out in competitive/casual/draft. Assisi when be sets are released what cards become great abd what combos well. Starting deck strategies when you just have some cards. Oh and an explanation of why certain cards are good.
    Just rattling off but I do thank this site and everyone on it for the immense help.

Much of this info already exists on this site IsaacBV. Dave and others have already broke down sets in past articles and podcasts. Maybe just add a new player section with quick links to these blogs and podcasts. Also set reviews would be a good link to add. A good article/podcast would be a better/worse report on old cards when new sets come out.

Did they ever recover some of the old podcasts? I came late to the party and missed some of those.

For those looking for good info, go to the homepage and go back to the first pages and go through them and then look through the blog section oldest to newest.

Also diceanon.com is a good site for the older sets. They have disappeared here lately though. But do the same as far as read the older stuff, it is all gold. They also have a really detailed PXG ( the global on the professor x card from the uncanny XMEN set ) breakdown

Links to older articles on TRP. Discussions on various meta builds (their strengths, how to counter or play against them). I think newer players have the magic mentality that the rarer the card the better (which is not the case) so maybe feature teams that anyone on a budget can make (i know the podcast cover these but not everyone is resourceful and go through all the old material)

I'm one of those new players. As of right now I own five packs of ASM. But my D&D Starter & C/U set should be here today. And my AoU starter should be here tomorrow!

I've been exploring the site and there's a lot here. Good stuff. I especially like the minotaur & half-orc articles.

The posts above have good newbie topics.

Two of particular interest to me are:

- Team building with starters, commons and uncommons. My acquisition strategy is focusing on those at the moment. Although I expect my first grav feed or two is close. But I've always enjoyed team building (magic, clix, all of the other collectible games I've played) with commons/uncommons. Kind of like the old common justice segment & budget segment on the PTR podcast back in the clix days.

- Theme team building. By the time I left clix I mostly built thematic teams. I got bored with the meta. Dice masters is a different beast but that's where I'm going to focus, at least for now.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jwannabe View Post
    Team building is definitely viable with starters.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dicemasters...er_deck_where/

AVX starter has the best characters, but getting extra dice is harder.
    D&d BACS are great (though I would argue UXM relentless/imprisoned combo is tough to beat).
    WOL has I think the best all in one box team, besides avx. (2 good beaters kyle and guy plus ramp/churn/discounting with big entrance and Lex luthor. Plus it has counter BAC vicious struggle)
    Thanks for the tips. I read that thread. It prompted me to order Prof X & Miri from Coolstuff the other day.

Next on my acquisition list (starter-wise) will be the WoL starter with the matching uncommons & extra dice. That'll probably be my "if I go to a tournament" team. And I like Lanterns. So that'll work.

I have an AvX starter incoming and AoU (with the uncommons and extra dice) should be here tomorrow. Then I'll track down UX, JL and I guess YGO.

But right now I'm basking in the glow of my newly arrived D&D starter & c/u set. I see a gravity feed of that in the near future to try and get a 4 dice set of c/u and some rares.

Crap. Acquisition Disorder is in full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwannabe View Post
    Team building is definitely viable with starters.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dicemasters...er_deck_where/

AVX starter has the best characters, but getting extra dice is harder.
    D&d BACS are great (though I would argue UXM relentless/imprisoned combo is tough to beat).
    WOL has I think the best all in one box team, besides avx. (2 good beaters kyle and guy plus ramp/churn/discounting with big entrance and Lex luthor. Plus it has counter BAC vicious struggle)
    Thanks for sharing this link, great article. I guess I'm gonna have to buy the WOL starter now