Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I field the Big Guy what then?

  1. #1

    I field the Big Guy what then?

    Hello, i got a Head-Strategy-Problem with the following scenario.


    Turn 1: One 1 Sidekick, 2 Cost Character and one Mask for PXG / or Polymorph and one Mask for PXG
    Turn 2: 2 Masks for PXG twice and a 4(2x2) Cost Character/ 2 Masks for PXG twice , a Sidekick and Polymorph

    Turn 3: 6 Cost (Jinzo or Hulk for example), using Polymorph, 1 Generic Energy (pay 1 life for Draw) and 1 Mask for PXG.And 1 Small character maybe fielded.

    Now my issue i have is, what can i do now? Because i have only one big Guy and my a small guy here! I understand i can be a good advantage at the beginning, but no matter how i think about it, i cannot save myself from a rush right now (doesnt matter how strong he is) and my opponent would overrun with characters.
    I have Jinzo he would let my opponent pay now for PXG or whatever he wants to do. For Hulk there is nothing left he just stands there.

    Can someone please tell me what they do after they perfectly fielded their big guy?

  2. #2
    Your problem is you grabbed the wrong big guy. Against Guy you want to grab either Hulk or Z-Mags. Jinzo is a pretty pointless purchase unless you're going up against another slow build.

  3. #3
    You typically dont buy your big characters till later in the game. But thats a circumstance on what type of big character. If its Hulk, just having him on the field slows down a game. If its Jinzo, who's just sitting on the field burning me slowly I wouldnt care. You aren't attacking. All circumstance. Also its deck build. If you're deck is set up to be slow make sure it counter aggro teams.

  4. #4
    Yea, that is the biggest drawback to Polymorph/PXG combo to bring in big guys. Even those who get Hulk - Green Goliath on the field turn 3 usually have nothing else and therefore cannot do lethal.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Yea, that is the biggest drawback to Polymorph/PXG combo to bring in big guys. Even those who get Hulk - Green Goliath on the field turn 3 usually have nothing else and therefore cannot do lethal.
    Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    You typically dont buy your big characters till later in the game. But thats a circumstance on what type of big character. If its Hulk, just having him on the field slows down a game. If its Jinzo, who's just sitting on the field burning me slowly I wouldnt care. You aren't attacking. All circumstance. Also its deck build. If you're deck is set up to be slow make sure it counter aggro teams.

    Yeah correct , its not lethal either the next two turns, because you have to build your ramp and also survive and buy other dice.

    So i think the only way to play this smart is to keep up ramp maybe buy him turn 4 or 5 when you have something on the board to survive or do the lethal combo.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Yeah correct , its not lethal either the next two turns, because you have to build your ramp and also survive and buy other dice.

    So i think the only way to play this smart is to keep up ramp maybe buy him turn 4 or 5 when you have something on the board to survive or do the lethal combo.
    That's what I do. I buy my big characters around turn 5 or 6. The first three turns are ramp and buying my small characters that pose a threat.

  7. #7
    Nseems to me that its all fine and dandy to field a big beater on turn 3....but it really depends on what team you're playing against and what else you had to buy in the first place. For example there would be no reason to ramp into Mogo if you had nothing to get out of your used. Maybe Purple Wurm is ok to field fast like that since it KOs and has Overcrush and can attack, but personally, I'd look to purchase and use some smaller / cheaper dudes in the in between unless uour game plan is to buy and attack with a huge beater.

  8. #8
    Purple Worm, Venom, Zombie Magneto, Obelisk, Dracolich, and Doctor Strange are great examples of big hitters to use this combo with.

  9. #9
    The idea behind getting something specific out early is to either setup a counter to someone's deck, or to setup a combo whether it be removal or a win condition. With hulk all you need is him out and magic missile global to start clearing the field. With Nova you just need him and one bolt along with a bunch of sidekick dice in reserve to do damage.

    For me I use it for an early Zmag to shut down 75% of teams.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    The idea behind getting something specific out early is to either setup a counter to someone's deck, or to setup a combo whether it be removal or a win condition. With hulk all you need is him out and magic missile global to start clearing the field. With Nova you just need him and one bolt along with a bunch of sidekick dice in reserve to do damage.

    For me I use it for an early Zmag to shut down 75% of teams.
    Do you use ZMag over Jinzo or Hulk if you would have 2 big guys in a team, or do you have only 1 big guy?
    I am going through the PDC lists an its really interesting to see ~50%(2x),25%(2,10%(3),15%(nothing)

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Do you use ZMag over Jinzo or Hulk if you would have 2 big guys in a team, or do you have only 1 big guy?
    I am going through the PDC lists an its really interesting to see ~50%(2x),25%(2,10%(3),15%(nothing)
    You can have both. Zmags is an early buy which shuts down a lot of cards. Hulk can be bought late game which can wipe off a team and just swing for lethal. Jinzo is a different story. You want him out early enough but with keeping up with ramp.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsouth View Post
    If defending team has only Hulk Green Goliath in the field and the other team has 2-3 character dice and a sidekick or two, would Hulk's damage spray trigger once or twice assuming the attacking team sends everyone over? Hulk would block one and the rest go through. Damage is simultaneous so both Hulk and the player would be hit.
    Hulk's damage would trigger twice (assuming he blocked one character) and this would happen after damage was resolved. So the hulk player would take all the damage direct minus one that blocked the hulk. The hulk would trigger afterwards for the unblocked damage and the blocked damage. Most likely ensuring the last character is eliminated as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •