Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KingPing - We Do Not Speak his Name and Magic Missile

KingPing - We Do Not Speak his Name and Magic Missile

Can I magic missile KingPin and activate his ability? "When Kingpin takes damage target player takes 2 damage. Target player can prevent this by sacrificing a character or paying 2 energy"

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Yes.
    Hmm I can somehow 'abuse' this. Good to know

Second question. It says target player meaning I can choose myself right? I can sacrifice a character?

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Hmm I can somehow 'abuse' this. Good to know

Second question. It says target player meaning I can choose myself right? I can sacrifice a character?
    Yes but don't forget that this means send the character to used when it says sacrifice.

And does not trigger your Aftershocks ( if its your kingpin)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Yes but don't forget that this means send the character to used when it says sacrifice.
    I know. An old card that's been left in the dark might resurface with this crazy gimmick.

I believe I can use KingPin to have this character be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    And does not trigger your Aftershocks ( if its your kingpin)
    Yeah yeah, aftershock only procs when the OPPONENT removes a character off the field.

I'm new, could you please explain how you would use kingpin with pyro?

Quote Originally Posted by Jwild View Post
    I'm new, could you please explain how you would use kingpin with pyro?
    The Rare Pyro needs bolts in the Used Pile correct? Which I would need cheap cost bolt characters.
    Now with KingPing and magic missile I can ping him multiple times activating his effect. The text reads Tatget player which leads to my opponent or myself. In this order I can target myself. When I do I either sacrifice a character or two energy. What I plan on doing is sending my bolt characters to the used pile. That allows me to then Attack and then roll those bolt characters with the chance of proc'ing Pyros effect.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 01-09-2016 at 04:11 PM.

you're removing characters from play for a CHANCE at doing... the same amount of damage you would do from Kingpin in the first place?, I dunno, seems highly inefficient.

6 character faces, 5 energy, you do 5/6th of a damage per character put in the used. King pin does 6/6 from just his ability. Sure they could pay energy or sacrifice, but TBH that sort of economic advantage is better than a chance at damage.

you're removing characters from play for a CHANCE at doing... the same amount of damage you would do from Kingpin in the first place?, I dunno, seems highly inefficient.

6 character faces, 5 energy, you do 5/6th of a damage per character put in the used. King pin does 6/6 from just his ability. Sure they could pay energy or sacrifice, but TBH that sort of economic advantage is better than a chance at damage.
    You figured for someone as yourself that enjoys tinkering with ideas would enjoy seeing something such as this.

Yes I know the value of losing out but Pyro is already a gambling card in the first place. I can remove a few of their characters and mine. King Pin is the only card so far that has that specific ability to send cards to the used pile besides the rare Super Boy

I mean, there's also the Atrocitous that does the same thing as Superboy, and Obelisk the Tormentor has a version that does it. Then of course Wonder Man Uncommon, The AvX storm and 3 and 5 costs and my favorite, rare Umber Hulk. King pin is a bit more reliable and spammy, but the opponent has some choices as well.

I did like the idea, thus me looking into it with more depth. Maybe if you found a way to utilize the roll more efficiently, say, with characters that triggered when sacrificed (none currently but who knows) or Manticore or Vibe that trigger when you roll Bolt Bolt. Infact, Vibe could let you trigger Kingpin while also dealing damage to your opponent and all of his creatures. Pyro attacks, roll, and trigger king pin a few times to clear some blockers. That would be a more efficient way, and then save Kingpin for their turn to clear their board after they field dudes.

I mean, there's also the Atrocitous that does the same thing as Superboy, and Obelisk the Tormentor has a version that does it. Then of course Wonder Man Uncommon, The AvX storm and 3 and 5 costs and my favorite, rare Umber Hulk. King pin is a bit more reliable and spammy, but the opponent has some choices as well.

I did like the idea, thus me looking into it with more depth. Maybe if you found a way to utilize the roll more efficiently, say, with characters that triggered when sacrificed (none currently but who knows) or Manticore or Vibe that trigger when you roll Bolt Bolt. Infact, Vibe could let you trigger Kingpin while also dealing damage to your opponent and all of his creatures. Pyro attacks, roll, and trigger king pin a few times to clear some blockers. That would be a more efficient way, and then save Kingpin for their turn to clear their board after they field dudes.
    Atrocious is only for shields. Obelisk only affects the opponent. Wonder-man has to be in combat and KO'ed with other characters to be sent to the used pile. Vibe affects my characters which could possibly effect Pyro's already low defense. Super Boy prime can only target Bolt characters when their Ko-ed which can effect my side.

With the KingPin I can freely choose who to target, characters that can possibly be removed, energy taxed and remove life. At a seven cost. Sure Super Boy has better stats but he does not sap life.

I think this combo relates to something I've been trying to decide - the sacrifice mechanic sends characters to the used pile from the field. Given the ruling on the transition zone ("Any dice from your Field or Reserve pool are in transit to the Used Pile until the end of your turn.") doesn't that mean than you wouldn't be able to roll them for Pyro until your next turn?

If you wanted a cheaper method of doing this I would suggest Red Eyes and Iceman with PXG. You could easily just buy that many characters the turn you want to attack with pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by memmek2k View Post
    I think this combo relates to something I've been trying to decide - the sacrifice mechanic sends characters to the used pile from the field. Given the ruling on the transition zone ("Any dice from your Field or Reserve pool are in transit to the Used Pile until the end of your turn.") doesn't that mean than you wouldn't be able to roll them for Pyro until your next turn?
    The Transition zone only accounts for energy and action dice.

Sacrifice - Sacrificed characters are moved from the Field Zone to the Used Pile (often as a cost or penalty).

KingPin has me pay the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by StormyKnight
    If you wanted a cheaper method of doing this I would suggest Red Eyes and Iceman with PXG. You could easily just buy that many characters the turn you want to attack with pyro.
    This only has to do with the KingPin and Pyro. The Red Eyes method is nice but that only works on the purchasing time. With King I can do it at freewill with a nice wall of my bolt characters.

Sacrifice - Sacrificed characters are moved from the Field Zone to the Used Pile (often as a cost or penalty).

KingPin has me pay the cost.

This only has to do with the KingPin and Pyro. The Red Eyes method is nice but that only works on the purchasing time. With King I can do it at freewill with a nice wall of my bolt characters.
    That's true but there's no advantage to do it during the attack phase with globals because it's past the when attack stage. You can purchase any time during the main phase so there is no difference. You actually will get the damage faster because with kingpin it involves you buying them, rolling them as characters, fielding them then using kingpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    That's true but there's no advantage to do it during the attack phase with globals because it's past the when attack stage. You can purchase any time during the main phase so there is no difference. You actually will get the damage faster because with kingpin it involves you buying them, rolling them as characters, fielding them then using kingpin.
    Who said I was using KingPin during the attack phase?

I can throw characters to used pile if they come up as a character phase when their rolled. I dont need to field them.

I know this kind of negates the point of using Kingpin's ability, but isn't it really more effective to just use big entrance and fill your used pile with cheap bolt characters (Miri Riam, Shield Agent...)?

It costs the same, they go straight in the used pile if you want (since putting dice in the bag with big entrance is optional), and it's just as likely to result in damage for your opponent.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ccm00007 View Post
    I know this kind of negates the point of using Kingpin's ability, but isn't it really more effective to just use big entrance and fill your used pile with cheap bolt characters (Miri Riam, Shield Agent...)?

It costs the same, they go straight in the used pile if you want (since putting dice in the bag with big entrance is optional), and it's just as likely to result in damage for your opponent.

Just a thought.
    I had the same thought when I was in the shower. I could just use big entrance to buy my cheap bolts. I can use the Slifer rare instead of Magic Missile to ping KingPin in the future.

Also Big Entrance FILLS my bag once my characters are bought. They do not instantly go to the used pile as normally buying a character.

I had the same thought when I was in the shower. I could just use big entrance to buy my cheap bolts. I can use the Slifer rare instead of Magic Missile to ping KingPin in the future.

Also Big Entrance FILLS my bag once my characters are bought. They do not instantly go to the used pile as normally buying a character.
    Actually, Big Entrance doesn't require you to put dice in your bag; it's an optional effect. You can choose to put purchased dice in the used pile as normal while still benefiting from the cost reduction.

Here's the card text for reference: "When purchased, you may add this die to your dice bag. When used, dice purchased this turn cost 1 less than their printed cost (minimum 1), and may be put directly into your dice bag instead of your Used Pile. (No matter how many Big Entrance Dice are used.)"

Quote Originally Posted by ccm00007 View Post
    Actually, Big Entrance doesn't require you to put dice in your bag; it's an optional effect. You can choose to put purchased dice in the used pile as normal while still benefiting from the cost reduction.

Here's the card text for reference: "When purchased, you may add this die to your dice bag. When used, dice purchased this turn cost 1 less than their printed cost (minimum 1), and may be put directly into your dice bag instead of your Used Pile. (No matter how many Big Entrance Dice are used.)"
    Well that solves some cheap character purchases. Just to figure out the rest.

Distraction
    Pyro
    KingPin
    Slifer

I'm referencing the original document that Wizkids put out regarding the "transition zone." http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/wp-co...-USED-PILE.pdf

My quote above is directly from that document, and says "Any dice from your Field or Reserve pool are in transit to the Used Pile until the end of your turn." It then goes on to include an example of Juggernaut-Cain Marko's ability which was a precursor to the sacrifice mechanic, and specifically mentions the sidekicks are in the transition zone.

I really don't think this combo would actually work at all, unless you waited until your next turn and did appropriate bag management.

Quote Originally Posted by memmek2k View Post
    I'm referencing the original document that Wizkids put out regarding the "transition zone." http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/wp-co...-USED-PILE.pdf

My quote above is directly from that document, and says "Any dice from your Field or Reserve pool are in transit to the Used Pile until the end of your turn." It then goes on to include an example of Juggernaut-Cain Marko's ability which was a precursor to the sacrifice mechanic, and specifically mentions the sidekicks are in the transition zone.

I really don't think this combo would actually work at all, unless you waited until your next turn and did appropriate bag management.
    Did you read the new rules? Sacrifices instantly go to the used pile.

There's the difference. It doesnt say "Juggernaut Sacrifices". The term wasn't invented yet for DM. It says moves sidekicks. Sure its semantics but those are the rules.

See here "Wali has just attacked with Juggernaut, Cain Marko. Juggernaut is blocked by a Sidekick who has +5 A
    from a variety of characters and Global Abilities. He moves 2 of his Sidekicks out of play for Juggernaut’s
    ability.
    He prevents all 6 damage from the Sidekick. His Sidekicks will go to the Used Pile at the end of the turn."

That is the difference. With KingPin it states Sacrificing characters

KingPin - "When Kingpin takes damage target player takes 2 damage. Target player can prevent this by sacrificing a character or paying 2 energy"
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 01-11-2016 at 03:31 PM.

The question is whether the original Transition document overrides the later Rulebooks or not. There are a lot of cards that specify "move to the Used Pile", and according to that document they stay in Transition during your turn. Even the definition of Sacrifice says to "move to the Used Pile", just keyworded.

This is probably a valid point to bring up to WKRF.