Thread: Team help. How they take damage, not if.

Team help. How they take damage, not if.

Long time follower and I love the game and what TRP does for it and the community. So Iíve been working on this team for a while now and I started out wanting to design it around the combo of Angel - Avenging Angel, and Vibranium Shield - One of a Kind. I like the idea of making my opponent decide how they were going to take damage, not if. So Iíve kept the same idea and itís evolved into the following team. Now I havenít actually played this team itís still just an idea but Iím hoping to use it in an upcoming tournament at my friendly local game store. Now I know itís not going to be super competitive but I like the idea and think it seems fun. What can I do to make it better?

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=1x...3x29aou;3x30jl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aou136medium.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	4165
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aou29medium.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	4166

The general idea is no matter what each time I attack they're going to take damage, and with Groot it'll ensure that my guys dont die. Ant-Man and Hulk out are there in case I need to overcrush for the final blow.

I'm not 100% sold on the Gaia the Fierce Knight card but the ability fits with the team, and I needed some removal so I put Storm on there but she doesn't quite fit. There are 3 other basic actions I'm considering trying: Selective Shield (UX), Call Them Out (AoU), and Exposed! (ASM). I've got a list of other cards I'm considering but I wanted to see what everyone else thought first.

Since you have all these characters that deal damage when blocked there's really no need to use Hulk Out. You should be doing enough damage per turn with Angel, Manta and Gaia. I would replace it with Exposed!.

I am surprised there's no Cheetah. She might not deal as much as Gaia, but she's more cost effective.

The biggest problem I see with this deck is the fact that distraction can screw you over. Sure the human paladin can work out somewhat but that really isnt a big problem.

Also the Human Paladin will screw you over if you plan to use Gai. Go with Martian Man Hunter for the same 5 cost but with overcrush.

Another thing with Black Manta, he works similar to Nova - The Human Rocket. If he's pinged in the attack step the opponent takes damage.

Try her. With Ant Man's global, your opponent will be taking combat damage or strengthening you.

Thank you for your feedback thus far. Anyone have a better suggestion for replacing storm with another removal option that would work well with the rest of the team?

vonVile: I chose hulk out to help me deal the finishing blow when needed. You're right I may not need it. I'll probably test it out with different combos of the BAC I listed. Righteous charge may be swapped to b/c my chr will already have high defence from Groot.

VastSpartan: Yes, the team is very susceptible to distraction which is why human paladin is on the team. I did not consider the paladins global affecting Gaia. I may swap him out (I wasn't 100% sold on him anyways). I considered using Nova - Human Rocket, and he's still on my side board list of cards to try. I didn't want too many 5 cost chr since I don't have a lot of ramp but I may swap Gaia for Nova.

Bahamut7: I like you suggestion but I do not collect the D&D set. The only reason I have the paladin is it's part of my local meta so I traded for it.

Bahamut7: I like you suggestion but I do not collect the D&D set. The only reason I have the paladin is it's part of my local meta so I traded for it.
    That's a shame, many good cards in that set just like Yugioh. For non D&D options similar...try CHeetah's common, Pyro's common, or Firestorm.

I had to curb my dice spending habit some how so originally I told myself Marvel only, but that eventually changed to super heroes only. Now with the second D&D on the horizon my plan may change again. I'm a role player at heart. I use to play AD&D back in the day so it hurts not having the D&D set.

Back to my BAC, in considering vicious struggle to help against direct damage teams. Another weakness would be against SR lantern battery, and other action dice. Thinking of dealing a card or for a way to deal with those (ex: namor)

Quote Originally Posted by MJScrawny View Post
    I had to curb my dice spending habit some how so originally I told myself Marvel only, but that eventually changed to super heroes only. Now with the second D&D on the horizon my plan may change again. I'm a role player at heart. I use to play AD&D back in the day so it hurts not having the D&D set.

Back to my BAC, in considering vicious struggle to help against direct damage teams. Another weakness would be against SR lantern battery, and other action dice. Thinking of dealing a card or for a way to deal with those (ex: namor)
    I would go with Constantine - Antihero first and than maybe someone like Breaker the Magical Warrior - Mana Break. Constantine can defend while making your opponent reroll one action each turn. They pull a vicious Struggle from you? Now they have to try and keep it. They have the SR lantern Battery? Make them reroll it. Breaker and other's like him straight up eliminate action dice from the field.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet that you may not be aware of is that the SR Groot does not work with Ant-Man global. You see, SR Groot is considered a while active effect. These effects do not work with Ant-Man's global. However, until end of turn effects such as the Infiltrate BAC would work with Ant-Man's global.

for an interesting combo, take Iceman, Too Cool For Words. Slap an until end of turn defense modifier on him (Infiltrate is an example), then flip his A and D with Ant-Man global. Finally, pay the to double Iceman's attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahonor View Post
    Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet that you may not be aware of is that the SR Groot does not work with Ant-Man global. You see, SR Groot is considered a while active effect. These effects do not work with Ant-Man's global. However, until end of turn effects such as the Infiltrate BAC would work with Ant-Man's global.

for an interesting combo, take Iceman, Too Cool For Words. Slap an until end of turn defense modifier on him (Infiltrate is an example), then flip his A and D with Ant-Man global. Finally, pay the to double Iceman's attack.
    He was using Groot to keep his character's alive, not for the flip. He has plenty of high defense characters that will benefit from Ant-Man, not to mention Gaia is a 7/6 on his highest I believe.

Actually, is using got for both reasons. Keeping them alive and fit the ant-man flip. And if you can site a rules forum to back up your statement I'd really appreciate it. Because whether it's a while active, or one time effect is still a +D none the less. So if the chr D is 4, and then I field a Groot his D is now 7. It's not 4 +3. The bonus is a permanent benefit. Ant-mans global says "switch the A and D values of one of your characters". The D value in my example would be 7 because it is the new total value of the chr D.

Quote Originally Posted by MJScrawny View Post
    Actually, is using got for both reasons. Keeping them alive and fit the ant-man flip. And if you can site a rules forum to back up your statement I'd really appreciate it. Because whether it's a while active, or one time effect is still a +D none the less. So if the chr D is 4, and then I field a Groot his D is now 7. It's not 4 +3. The bonus is a permanent benefit. Ant-mans global says "switch the A and D values of one of your characters". The D value in my example would be 7 because it is the new total value of the chr D.
    Groots effect is static. I'm using your example with the character: The characters defense is 4 and attack is 5. Groot's effect being static bumps it up +3 making it 7 total D. Ant Man's global switches the defense with the attack. The attack now turns to being just 4 and the defense being 5 + 3 making it 8.
    Same prime example in a side kick stats being buffed by other characters. A constant static effect even if you transfer power their attack stats. The sidekick will retain those stats because of their buff from said other character.

http://www.thereservepool.com/thread...-to-each-other

It's because Groot is a while active ability.