Thread: Article: The Reserve Pool Podcast Season 2 Episode 8 Formatting Your Team

Article: The Reserve Pool Podcast Season 2 Episode 8 Formatting Your Team

I liked the episode and the discussion about picking characters and building around the core team of Spider-Friends.

I think I neglected to mention while going over the team that another reason for Robin and the Robin Global is to try to help get a character in my Prep to bring into play if Aunt May is removed.

A couple formats we've done at our FLGS that were really fun:
    - Single Hue Team (all dice 1 color) - Blue team ended up winning
    - Uncommons Only team

A format for all of you avid collectors: Primary format, Only Red Yellow or Blue striped cards allowed. (purple is also acceptable).

This INCLUDES YOUR BASIC ACTIONS!

Great podcast, as always. For 20 years or so I have had a personal soft spot for commons only formats in CCGs as a way of keeping deep pockets from just buying wins (and driving out other players from the local scene). Kudos to WizKids for the Rainbow Draft format that also cuts the knees off of this. The 2 stores in my area that have done Dice Masters events have both featured single release events, one following up within a week or 2 of the Rainbow Draft from the same release. This limits the format (and the cost), but allows for use of the starter deck cards in the set that players wish were in Rainbow Draft (as bemoaned in this week's 'cast). One final thought, I would never have thought to use the Robin OP for that, but I will now. Thanks again for all the help and entertainment.

Our store is going to do a "Green With Envy" constructed within the next month or so, probably for one of our D&D OPs. All characters and non-basic actions will have to be uncommon. I'm not sure on what to do about Basic Actions, but I'm thinking we'll just allow any and all. Normally, to switch things up a little, we tend to do special rules for Rainbow Drafts. For our Thanos Imperative Rainbow Draft, for example, we are adding the "Infinity Gems". We are taking 6 Globals from out of set (AoU), and assigning each to a Gem. Each round, the TO will draw one from a bag, and the associated Global will be available for all players for that round. I think it adds a little flavor, especially if you can make the "Wrinkle of the Day" match thematically with the set or event you are focused on.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    Our store is going to do a "Green With Envy" constructed within the next month or so, probably for one of our D&D OPs. All characters and non-basic actions will have to be uncommon. I'm not sure on what to do about Basic Actions, but I'm thinking we'll just allow any and all. Normally, to switch things up a little, we tend to do special rules for Rainbow Drafts. For our Thanos Imperative Rainbow Draft, for example, we are adding the "Infinity Gems". We are taking 6 Globals from out of set (AoU), and assigning each to a Gem. Each round, the TO will draw one from a bag, and the associated Global will be available for all players for that round. I think it adds a little flavor, especially if you can make the "Wrinkle of the Day" match thematically with the set or event you are focused on.
    I like that idea. Doesn't break the game, but adds a wrinkle to keep it fun. I'm a little burned out on Rainbow drafts. They can often be more fun and level the playing field, but the cost:fun ratio isn't as high as it is for constructed formats. Fun wrinkles like this improve that ratio.

Our TO recently declared a DC-only, all cards 4-cost and ABOVE (including BACs), no SRs. I initially thought he was crazy, but it turned out to be pretty fun, and forced a lot of creativity. A bunch of Lantern Ring teams, of course, but there were also some very inventive combinations, and sneaky ways of handling the lack of ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    What were some of the ways to handle the lack of ramp?
    The most popular was Red Tornado, I'd forgotten how useful he can be. I really wanted to try Booster Gold, but ended up chickening out in the end. Other players went for the discounts - one guy had Kyle Rayner, got out a couple of cheaper Red Lanterns like Bleez and Mera, which allowed him to be able to purchase the rare Spectre for 2 less. Once he got that out, his Red Lanterns cost five less, so he started loading up on overcrushing Supergirls that only cost him 1 to buy!

We're planning on doing a Marvel version as well, but banning PXG to keep the same feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexei View Post
    I think I neglected to mention while going over the team that another reason for Robin and the Robin Global is to try to help get a character in my Prep to bring into play if Aunt May is removed.
    I tried out the mj, spiderman tangled, aunt May combo today. It can really wreck someone not prepared for it.

I added in the avx common green goblin that buffs sidekicks. I only purchased 1 may, 1 mj, 1 gg, and 1 spiderman and just cycled them repeatedly. Generally they would block and ko my spiderman and then I would block with may and get him back. It put a lot of pressure on them constantly attacking with +3 buffed MJs and Mays + some converted Spider friend sidekicks.

It handled a guy gardner team, lantern ring build, and an avengers squad all fairly easily.

It may not be Tier 1 but it sets up surprisingly fast.

Here's what I used. Thanks for the idea Flexei!