Thread: AvX Black Widow is Tsarina really the best?

AvX Black Widow is Tsarina really the best?

I don't own Tsarina, but have played her multiple times. Everyone is always quick to run to her and recommend her or even new players feel that they need her. The question: Is she really the best of the 3 to use?

Now I know circumstance can affect when deciding on a version of a character, but the point of this is to examine each version of her (from AvX) and determine which one of the three is the best choice most of the time.

I personally find the common to be the most useful as she can spin down opponent dice whether attacking or blocking. Sure the 2 damage if they can't spin down, or choose not to, is great and with 4 of her attacking this can hurt fast. The drawback to this though is the same as Guy Gardner, you weaken your field when using her. The rare is nice and could be great if a level 3 character spun down to 1 counts as two spins, but most character stats between levels are too close and the benefits of this are niche.

Am I missing something or in the minority? What are your guys opinions on these versions of the character? Does Tsarina reign supreme or she over hyped?

The Common Widow has to survive combat for her ability to trigger... pretty tough to do on 1 2 3 defense. Maybe paired with Pepper pots common, Groot or Odin, but as she stands she's rarely going to trigger.

The Rare is super solid on some spin down teams. She synergizes pretty well with Umber Hulk too. but for pure damage purposes, the SR is definitely the champ.

The game of Dice Masters, to put it bluntly, is to kill your opponent before they kill you. The super rare kills them, spinning down their characters sometimes isn't a thing and doesn't inherently kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    The game of Dice Masters, to put it bluntly, is to kill your opponent before they kill you. The super rare kills them, spinning down their characters sometimes isn't a thing and doesn't inherently kill them.
    I get that. It's just in my dice masters experience, whenever one version of a card overshadows the others, there is usually a gem there that everyone misses. And it saddens me when I see new players clamoring for a particular card because they think they have to have it or they can't be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    The Common Widow has to survive combat for her ability to trigger... pretty tough to do on 1 2 3 defense. Maybe paired with Pepper pots common, Groot or Odin, but as she stands she's rarely going to trigger.

The Rare is super solid on some spin down teams. She synergizes pretty well with Umber Hulk too. but for pure damage purposes, the SR is definitely the champ.
    The common has served me well, but I do agree that regardless of what version, BlackWidow from AvX is meant to be played aggressively. I don't own the rare for my spin down team, but I have used Hawkeye who has the same effect. This is exactly why I wish level 3 to 1 counted as two spins. You know Vibe's rare is on that particular team.

Tsarina has two strong points:
    - it deals a lot of damage if unblocked and no spin-downs for a 2 energy character (comparable to Ant-Man or Guy Gardner seeing red)
    - it can deal direct damage even if blocked

This combination is very effective and quite unique for such a cheap character.
    I think I understand your sentiment - as a new player myself I run Guy Gardner as a budget option, but still I have to admit that Tsarina would have been just better.

While I always say that you don't need a black widow tsarina to win at a competitive level, there is no denying that she makes it easier to win. The cheap purchase cost, the direct damage, the field efficiency, there is no other card that can add that much pressure to you that fast. I would say she is not only the best version, but also the best card in the game. She may not be as fast as guy in the current meta, but she is quite sufficient in winning games on her own without the need of other pieces like relentless or mirri. I mean the rare lantern ring is basically turning cards into her and that card has had some success in the tournament scene as well.

The0retico and zeon20, trust me, I know her power. I feel for a standalone character with nothing else needed for her to work, she is very potent. There is no denying that.

Zeon, your point on the ring essentially emulating her is correct (which makes the ring plus her just mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Jwannabe View Post
    I've had good luck with natasha from AOU.
    Oh I hear ya, I like Stinger from ASM (even though I can't pull her for the life of me) and would even put her in the top 3 Black Widows, but that's also why I was keeping just in AvX this time.

Tsarina isn't as important as she used to be but you can't deny she is a great card. With Mera in the mix she can be better than guy Gardner because she hits under 5 damage for combat damage.

If it helps, I paid the price of a pack for mine. Opened it in a sealed event.

Edit: I think I'd be willing to pay 70 for it. At the time I was considering buying it anyway, and they were going for about 60 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drfunsox View Post
    After a lot of research I 've decided to pick up a tsarina.
    They seem to be around $70 in the uk, is that a fair price in your opinions?
    Listen, about six or so months ago when I was still newer to the game, maybe even longer, I straight up spent $150 on eBay in one cart, buying Gobby, Tsarina, and Hellblazer for $50 each from different sellers, all at the same time. I realized that I really liked DM, I had been lucky enough to start playing when AvX gravity feeds were still available at fair prices (I started right after Justice League came out), and had gotten a gravity feed of every set basically (except YGO) so I had no reason to buy one hoping for any of those three SRs, and I haven't regretted the purchase at all. Those three cards for $150 have paid themselves off more than enough in the long run. I know it's lame, but I can't imagine playing Dice Masters competitively for as long as I have been, without those three cards at my disposal. I don't use them every single team, although it can be hard to avoid Hellblazer, but it really makes a difference owning a copy of each of those three cards, a noticeable difference.

I just looked on eBay at the *SOLD* listings, and the regular, non full-art editions seem to be going for between $60-$70, with the odd one that sold for $80, and a couple of auctions that just went to the $50s (American dollars). That being the case, I'd look for a cheaper version if I could (in direct response to the OP), but if you aren't able to find something cheaper when you factor in shipping and whatnot on eBay, I don't see why not just go ahead and do it - or if it's someone you know and you can do it in person and get it immediately, etc..., then it would also be more worth it to just pay the $70 and stop trying to save the $10 American at most, realistically, if you waited and looked for the right auction.

When you need Energy for Globals like DCK, Ant-man, or Anger Issues, Tsarina makes an attractive card at 2 that pretty much can stand on her own. And coming in for Direct Damage + up to 3 unbuffed lets her skate in under Mera's ability to reduce it. I have seen several competitive teams where she is the glue that if you cant seem to hit your win-con, she closes the game for you.