Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Article: Hello, I'm New...Starter Set Acquisition

  1. #1

  2. #2
    I'm shocked to see UXM so high up the list, especially with YGO so low.

    UXM is hands down the weakest starter set, offering: 1 good unique BAC, Imprisoned; 2 good characters, Angel - Inspiring and Iceman - Too Cool For Words; and two gimmick characters, Wolverine - The Best There Is and Angel - Air Transport. The rest is pretty much trash with the possible exception of Kitty Pryde.

    YGO has no characters, but the second best spread of BAC's in the game: Crush Card Virus, Horn of the Unicorn, Mirror Force, Monster Reborn, Mystic Box, and Swords of Revealing Light. It won't buff your character roster, but it has one BAC global for every energy type and fantastic effects on many of them as well. It's simply some of the best bang for your buck you can get for BAC's besides D&D itself.

    Edit: Also, no love for Justice League's BAC's? Anger Issues is arguably the strongest Overcrush BAC, period. Casualties is one of the best lifegain effects in the game when matched with any sort of board clear like breath weapon or even something simple like Vibe. Phantom Zone is a mini Imprisoned that also sends the character to prep when it's released (albeit with a slightly easier release condition). Finally, Villainous Pact is outright better than Resurrection with a slightly worse global on an easier energy type and a top-tier die to go with it. I really can't understand this stellar lineup falling in behind the lackluster Marvel starters of UXM and AoU
    Last edited by Necromanticer; 01-15-2016 at 02:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I'm shocked to see UXM so high up the list, especially with YGO so low.

    UXM is hands down the weakest starter set, offering: 1 good unique BAC, Imprisoned; 2 good characters, Angel - Inspiring and Iceman - Too Cool For Words; and two gimmick characters, Wolverine - The Best There Is and Angel - Air Transport. The rest is pretty much trash with the possible exception of Kitty Pryde.

    YGO has no characters, but the second best spread of BAC's in the game: Crush Card Virus, Horn of the Unicorn, Mirror Force, Monster Reborn, Mystic Box, and Swords of Revealing Light. It won't buff your character roster, but it has one BAC global for every energy type and fantastic effects on many of them as well. It's simply some of the best bang for your buck you can get for BAC's besides D&D itself.
    #noTransferPowerlove

    As a side note, the reason the YGO starter is probably so low is that buying it DOESN'T increase your character roster, and those BACs you mention, other than Crush Card Virus, are basically duplicates of BACs in other sets, specifically sets that are higher on the list. Sure, some of those BACs offer different global/effect combinations, and there is some versatility there, but buying the AvX and DnD Starters are definitely more of a priority, which reduces the value of the YGO starter even more.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    #noTransferPowerlove

    As a side note, the reason the YGO starter is probably so low is that buying it DOESN'T increase your character roster, and those BACs you mention, other than Crush Card Virus, are basically duplicates of BACs in other sets, specifically sets that are higher on the list. Sure, some of those BACs offer different global/effect combinations, and there is some versatility there, but buying the AvX and DnD Starters are definitely more of a priority, which reduces the value of the YGO starter even more.
    Eh, I can count on 3 fingers the number of starter sets I'd rather have than Yu-Gi-Oh. I get that it doesn't help with characters at all, but you really shouldn't be looking to starter sets to fill out your character roster since most are pretty much awful and all of them require booster support to be remotely competitive.

    Starter sets are made to give us BAC's, a gem or two of characters, and sidekick dice. YGO simply does this better than most of the other sets on this list by giving a great list of versatile BAC's that allow you not to worry about having the right BAC for the team you want to play. YGO offers the Jack-of-All-Trades approach that gives new players the freedom to play whatever they have the cards/dice for.

  5. #5
    I have to agree with Necro that Yugioh should be a bit higher. I understand that you are comparing characters and BACs, but the few gems in that Starter (Red Eyes Black Dragon that reduces all bolt purchases by 2) are great. Yes, this set should not be top priority, but the unique actions it does provide are major game changers. Spell Binding Circle doesn't get much use, but I have used it to great effect.

    I understand being torn between AvX and D&D as the top contender, that really is a hard choice. I feel D&D won the BAC selection and AvX won the start set character selection hands down (Storm Goddess of the Plains, the Hulks, Beast, Iron Man, and Spiderman just wow). I would personally tip my hat to D&D being top only because I have to look at the entire set as a whole (you grab a starter you typically grab boosters) and I feel that there are far more better cards in D&D overall.

    Besides deranking Uncanny a little, I feel your rankings are pretty spot on. Great Article.

  6. #6
    Hmm...Hmmmmmm...

    I was going to agree that Uncanny X-men should be ranked a little lower, but then I remembered that in addition to the action dice already mentioned, UXM has Ambush and Selective Shield, both of which can be great to use in the right setup. So that's at least 6/10 actions that are excellent to play with. Yeah, on second thought, UXM is fine where it is.

    Though for D&D, I'm surprised you left out Human Paladin from your description. Yeah, I know there is a better version of his character in the boosters, but you still get his global, which makes Lantern Ring, Gobby, etc. into actually manageable threats. For a newer player trying to get into competitive play, he's a must.

    So overall, I agree; good list.

  7. #7
    I may leave some comments later about this as I dwell on it some more, but I wanted to point out that in the UXM set you are referring to Magic Missile when I think you mean Power Bolt. Veteran players know what you are talking about, but new players will likely be confused. Thanks for writing the article and I will comment again when I have some time to ponder.

    ~ninja

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahonor View Post
    I may leave some comments later about this as I dwell on it some more, but I wanted to point out that in the UXM set you are referring to Magic Missile when I think you mean Power Bolt. Veteran players know what you are talking about, but new players will likely be confused. Thanks for writing the article and I will comment again when I have some time to ponder.

    ~ninja
    I was confuse by that at first, but he was simply referencing why Iceman is good when he mentioned Magic Missile.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I did have the UXM set as more of a 6 initially, and then I thought about the globals. They are all so solid.

    As far as YGO, the best BACs out of there are in other sets (Transfer Power, Hulk Out) and there isnt a single character I would use.

  11. #11
    Here are a couple of thoughts from a casual player trying to up his game, and about my local "meta" (6 people and counting). As old school (accent on "old") gamers, comic book fans, and SF and Fantasy geeks, the Marvel and DC releases were the ones that came to our attention first, intrigued us, and made us want to play Dice Masters. I don't think D&D was as well solicited around here at first, either. Our "core 4" players all started really getting interested when UXM was the main offering locally, we've bought cards since from newer releases and have also done some "catch up". Articles like this one have upped our game considerably as well. We all play around with themes, and we're all learning that the BACs are amazingly important. For us, YGO is by far the least represented set for 3 reasons. As one of the older sets, we all had to decide whether or not to go back and get it while still trying to stay current with new releases. Also, it is the franchise we see listed the least in articles like this with the exception of one card, BEWD. Finally, it is the franchise property we are the least familiar with (after our time) and the one with the art that we all universally think is the worst. For top players, which we are not, I'm sure play must always take top billing, but all of us want to play with cards and dice that are as cool to look at as they are effective in game. If this didn't represent at least some percentage of the casual to semi serious players out here, I doubt the alternate art cards would be effective prize support for OP. Anyway, those are the notes from the peanut gallery, thanks again for a great article.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBrew View Post
    Here are a couple of thoughts from a casual player trying to up his game, and about my local "meta" (6 people and counting). As old school (accent on "old") gamers, comic book fans, and SF and Fantasy geeks, the Marvel and DC releases were the ones that came to our attention first, intrigued us, and made us want to play Dice Masters. I don't think D&D was as well solicited around here at first, either. Our "core 4" players all started really getting interested when UXM was the main offering locally, we've bought cards since from newer releases and have also done some "catch up". Articles like this one have upped our game considerably as well. We all play around with themes, and we're all learning that the BACs are amazingly important. For us, YGO is by far the least represented set for 3 reasons. As one of the older sets, we all had to decide whether or not to go back and get it while still trying to stay current with new releases. Also, it is the franchise we see listed the least in articles like this with the exception of one card, BEWD. Finally, it is the franchise property we are the least familiar with (after our time) and the one with the art that we all universally think is the worst. For top players, which we are not, I'm sure play must always take top billing, but all of us want to play with cards and dice that are as cool to look at as they are effective in game. If this didn't represent at least some percentage of the casual to semi serious players out here, I doubt the alternate art cards would be effective prize support for OP. Anyway, those are the notes from the peanut gallery, thanks again for a great article.
    Unfortunately, they were only allowed to use screenshots from the anime, which didn't give any of the cards decent art at all (though a few had some great screen shots to make them tolerable). I urge you to look through the set as a player, there are many amazing cards besides BEWD and combos that most players won't see coming.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Thanks for the list. I mainly got into the game for the comic aspect, but i found that i definitely needed the d&d starter for the great BACs. I have never really noticed any of the YGO starter cards as must haves and it is the lone starter i have not purchased. For some reason villanous pact is one of my go to BACs and i might rank DC a little higher, but i agree with your top 3.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Unfortunately, they were only allowed to use screenshots from the anime, which didn't give any of the cards decent art at all (though a few had some great screen shots to make them tolerable). I urge you to look through the set as a player, there are many amazing cards besides BEWD and combos that most players won't see coming.
    Thanks very much, especially for the explanation as to why the art doesn't work for us. I plan on getting more of the YGO cards as I can, I've only recently been getting more of the D&D cards (like Prismatic Spray) and I've seen how much they expand what I can do. I take any and all advice and information I can get here (or at my FLGS). Thanks again.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBrew View Post
    Thanks very much, especially for the explanation as to why the art doesn't work for us. I plan on getting more of the YGO cards as I can, I've only recently been getting more of the D&D cards (like Prismatic Spray) and I've seen how much they expand what I can do. I take any and all advice and information I can get here (or at my FLGS). Thanks again.
    No problem, if your local scene tends to rely on globals more often try out the Rare Doom Caliber Knight. He shuts down Globals in ways prismatic spray could only dream.

  17. #17
    I really feel that Crush Card Virus doesn't get enough love. It can be used as a Blue Eyes replacement, trading the lack of cost efficiency for some targeted removal, I really really like it.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I was confuse by that at first, but he was simply referencing why Iceman is good when he mentioned Magic Missile.
    Ah, that makes sense. Glad I wasn't the only one confused at first. Thanks for the thoughts!

  20. #20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •