Thread: What Set Do You Consider The Best Overall Set?

What Set Do You Consider The Best Overall Set?

So far WizKids has released 8 sets with tons more on the way. What set do you feel has best represented the game as a whole in the categories of; balance, character roster, and usefulness when it comes to game play?

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    So far WizKids has released 8 sets with tons more on the way. What set do you feel has best represented the game as a whole in the categories of; balance, character roster, and usefulness when it comes to game play?
    Expect a lot of people that will say: AVX, AVX, and AVX.

Me, I think AVX has my favourite roster, and it just has so many cards that you can use as cornerstones for an entire deck that it also wins out on usefulness.

However, for balance, it's definitely not the best, as several cards are so strong that they completely dictate the pace of the game when they appear (Green Goliath, Gobby, Johnny Storm, etc.). When playing unlimited constructed, I actually think that D&D is the best set for balance. It just includes so many of the counters and answers to various strategies (Human Paladin, Prismatic Spray, etc.) as well as complementary features that keep other decks going and, in some cases, either create or support entire deck archetypes(Resurrection, Polymorph, Red Dragon, Beholder, etc.). And the best part? Most of the best cards are either starter cards or they're common. Making the best cards available to everyone does wonders for balance.

Just my two cents. I'm sure others will have plenty to add on the subject.
    Last edited by ccm00007; 01-17-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Incomplete sentence.

AvX, it has GG which I still consider to be the best card in the game.

As a stand alone, wol. D&D a close second.

I usually judge these by the rainbow draft conversations. If there is only 1 or 2 viable teams out of a set, then a mechanic or character was not balanced. Wol had +/- 5 playable and winnable teams. D&D had around the same.

For mixed play AVX has to be #1. Most complaints stem from the SRs. The other is the hulk, but it didn't become a problem until you added the slifer R global or magic middle BAC from later sets.

I feel that D&D: Battle For Faerun is, hands down, the best set released so far and it will be made even better with the upcoming 2nd D&D set since it will patch a few of the minor deficiencies in the set (like the lack of Fiends for the tribalism suggested by Pit Fiend, and a wider array of equipment). It has the most interesting and playable card abilities and strategies of any set released. There are powerful cards, but there aren't any over-powered cards and every time I start building a new unlimited team, I almost always look to D&D first to see if there's anything I want to build around.

tl;dr: D&D - BFF stands for Best Friend Forever.

I have to second that hands down the D&D BFF set is the best looking and has the most variety of balance. But I like dragons, so you can see why YGO:S1 makes my list for second favorite set. Yes, AvX has some staple power cards, but nothing compared to the one card UxM set. Professor X is the most popular and used card out of any of the sets, hands down.

Best Set is D&D overall.

Good Ingame Balance. Good quality of Cards, no Missprints. Good Artwork! Different and Thematic Cards overall.

And with the second set they continued to keep in the Abilities working together and also adding more Ramps.

Second in Set would be War of Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Best Set is D&D overall.

Good Ingame Balance. Good quality of Cards, no Missprints. Good Artwork! Different and Thematic Cards overall.

And with the second set they continued to keep in the Abilities working together and also adding more Ramps.

Second in Set would be War of Light.
    Ressless beat me to it. I'm sure a lot of people will also talk about AVX, and while YGO is my personal favourite set, D&D is objectively the best set made so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Ressless beat me to it. I'm sure a lot of people will also talk about AVX, and while YGO is my personal favourite set, D&D is objectively the best set made so far.
    I think this whole topic is subjective by nature, unless we have specific defining parameters for what constitutes "personal favorite," which would stop it from being an opinion based topic, as "personal favorite" pretty clearly is subjective by definition.

On topic, though, I know it's really unpopular with a lot of people I know at least, especially for drafting, and there aren't necessarily a bunch of amazing cards I put in my decks, but my personal favorite in a fun sense alone is ASM. I just like it, I don't really know how else to put it - it's really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    While I feel Yugioh has some amazing cards and actions, I have to say with Balance, character roster, and usefulness in mind, D&D wins. It provides more diversity, lets each core mechanic (D&D and non D&D) shine, provides fair counters to in-set and unlimited play, and cna make any team that much better. Not to mention the art in my opinion beats out all the other sets.

I think AvX is the most powerful set, but that doesn't make it the best, it's also by far the least balanced.

The best set balance and power wise and just as a stand alone set I think is War of Light followed by D&D.

Are you talking on the terms set enjoyed as a stand alone or the cards effects in power?
    I found the most fun in WoL. DND I heard is another. Power wise? AvX