Thread: Article: The Reserve Pool Podcast Season 2 Episode 9 Dice Quirks

Just checked, it is available both RSS and ITunes. Not sure why it might not be showing for you. I did originally load it with out a title, but that was fixed around 9am. Try refreshing your feeds?

I am glad you guys talked about people having a hand in their bag. I find a lot of people I play against shake with hand in the bag or put there hand in the bag before your turn ends and then pull out the dice when you are done (without removing hand or shaking the bag).

Oh and Shadowmeld always lets me change my options when we play, especially when it is a better play for him }:-

I feel the same way about making mistakes and trying to go back and the local scene almost always says, "go ahead and make the change, everybody gets one." I don't take my mistakes back because that is how I learn. I feel if people let you do take backs then you will make the mistake again. However, when you get burned by it you will more likely remember it and not make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    I am glad you guys talked about people having a hand in their bag. I find a lot of people I play against shake with hand in the bag or put there hand in the bag before your turn ends and then pull out the dice when you are done (without removing hand or shaking the bag).

Oh and Shadowmeld always lets me change my options when we play, especially when it is a better play for him }:-

I feel the same way about making mistakes and trying to go back and the local scene almost always says, "go ahead and make the change, everybody gets one." I don't take my mistakes back because that is how I learn. I feel if people let you do take backs then you will make the mistake again. However, when you get burned by it you will more likely remember it and not make that mistake again.
    If only that were true... I always forget Constantine

I really love the topics in the podcast! Good things to hear.

I always think it depends on the people you play. Everyone is different in their behavior.
    There are few things where i say something and thats the thing with the hand in the bag shaking and when people draw before i can name something. It is not like i dont wanna gain advantage from it, but i have the dice for it and want to use my abilities too and when i say "wait" its almost as i disrupt this persons turn because then they have to shake again and draw again.... .

I know this game is all about fast rolls etc.., but i dont like it when you rush in all what you do and later find out because of mistake X or Y the game played completely wrong. Thats why i got this Rules- Illness to know everything about the cards... 8-9

The other thing about taking back actions is ok, as long as nothing would be changed on the opponents side and or in advance to the actions they could do. For example, i buy 2 dice use a global to buff something and field something without an fielding effect. This is a turn where i could go back and change something.

But drawing, damaging and triggering effects are done for me and so i respect it for my opponent. of Course if it is a game that happens not in an tournament we go back and forth if we see we have to tweak teams or analyse a situation to understand it for both of us so that we can be great players afterwards against all odds.

Great discussion guys! The local quirks got me thinking. I will generally let someone take back their mistake if I haven't reacted to it. If I have spent a global to respond to their action, or declared blockers, started my next turn, etc. they're stuck with what they've done. I think I am less forgiving at high level play (PDC, final game to determine the winner of the Atomica die, WKO/Nationals/Worlds etc) that if it is a regular fun OP event or of course if it is just a casual game. I think I am also less forgiving if I am playing someone that I think is better than I am, like @IsaacBV . But then I tell myself that I am helping to make him a better player in the long run when he goes to WKO /Worlds, etc and I don't feel so bad about it.
    Remember - you're either winning at Dice Masters, or learning to play better. I spend a lot of time learning.
    @IsaacBV started bringing tokens to mark his Hellblazer and Lyssa selections. He'll park it on my Guy or Miri and say, "I name 'X' until I change it". I think that is such a good idea that I have started bringing my own token when I face other people's Hellblazers to mark my card. I hate that moment when i am drawing dice, rolling them and they see the character that they should have named rolling onto my mat and they kinda protest weakly like I didn't give them enough time or remind them to name someone. I think the challenge of that card should be to figure out what to name, not to remember to actually name something. If I bring the token, I ask the opponent if it is OK to do it that way and they always look relieved.

Thanks again for an entertaining and informative podcast, and for the glimpses into your local scenes. I was a little startled to hear that our little meta in the Smoky Mountains has blissfully escaped a problem I didn't even think about. Nobody here has their hand in the bag while shaking it, it just never happens, I didn't know this was a thing. We're also pretty ritualistic after emptying out bags to shake it upside down and show that it is really empty. One thing we tend to do here in our "middle aged meta" is verbally ask and answer questions like "what globals do you have?" and "what version of Green Lantern is that?". Also, because our meta isn't young (our "baby" player is 30) and there are mobility and sight issues among us, one of our players regularly uses a small flashlight and/or a magnifying glass for the fine print on cards and dice. As we're a semi casual group we also tend to check and see if the decks have "rarity parity". If my opponent has one rare, 1 uncommon, and 8 commons (including BACs), none of us think it is cool for me to pull out a deck with 4 super rares and 3 promo cards. Those are our local quirks, at least in Dice Masters. (The others really are too numerous to mention, and some of the statutes of limitations haven't expired yet.)