Thread: Ghost Rider AvX Is he a trap Card?

Ghost Rider AvX Is he a trap Card?

So looking back through my cards when tweaking a team I came across him and had to ponder. Is he really a trap card or as bad as most think? What I mean is, early on, my group and I decided that he wasn't worth the cost (this was back during the first 3 sets). Perhaps now he deserves another once over.

Looking over the uncommon and rare, we have cheaper and better characters that prep dice. Looking at the common is where the real discussion comes in.

He is a 2 cost bolt with a TFC 6 and a 5/5 at his highest. Does the 2 cost help counter the high fielding cost? Looking at a purchase and a fielding of one die, we are looking at a total of 5 energy to get his die on the field. An additional 5 energy per die at most. At the lowest, we have 3 energy per die. I am unsure. I love the character and want to see more potential in all versions of him including these. Any thoughts?

Note: A Team built around Imprison, he is great!

More experienced players than I will have more to say about TFC and energy efficiency I'm sure, but, I do think your wider point has some merit.

As the card pool increases I'll be the first to admit that early cards gathering dust perhaps don't get re-visited and I kind of get a bit of tunnel vision when building teams.

This particular example is interesting. A two cost character means something very different in a world that now includes 'Big Entrance' than it did in the early days. A third turn Guy Gardner in an aggro strategy is one thing, but could a third turn 5/5 character such Ghost Rider introduce new possibilities?

I think TFC is a statistic most people overrate. What is more important than TFC is AFC, and an AFC of 2 is still too high considering what you get in return for it. More importantly, what does this character do compared to other 2 cost bolt characters. Because he has no text you have to question if the body is better than an ability, and the answer is most likely no, and the dice disadvantage you generate by paying the fielding cost compared to that of other cheap characters makes it questionable. Aggro on aggro is all about dice advantage, and I feel the cost sets you back in aggro mirrors, and against control builds he's almost just as likely to suffer from the same control options as other 2 drops. If you're just buying it for the energy any other 2 cost bolt character would do, and having an ability would make it more useful. I dunno, I'm just not seeing it with Ghost Rider, sadly. I do like the character, I just feel there are better options.

So these Ghost rider card are playable. I used them allot in the AvX/UxM/YGO days to build my all bolts Nova Human Rocket Ping Teams. If you have a way to sneak him onto the board for free, he is a great character. In the more recent past, there are plenty of 2 Cost Bolt characters now, instead of just him. With lower TFC and more useful abilities.

Now, I still occasionally demo Dice Masters for new players. Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze and Deadpool Jack are one of my demo teams. Nothing gets people interested in a game like those two characters, together on the same team. And with no text on GRJB makes it easier to teach the game.

I came from Magic and my heuristic for evaluating is to count purchase cost + fielding cost (for given level). This roughly corresponds to Magic's vanilla test, which says, that a reasonable price for a character without abilities with attack A and defense D is A+D/2.
    Common Ghost Rider is then for me 2/3 for 3, 3/4 for 4, 5/5 for 5, which is subpar on first two levels.
    Uncommon and Rare versions have an interesting effect, but that is definitely not worth 2 more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by The0retico View Post
    I came from Magic and my heuristic for evaluating is to count purchase cost + fielding cost (for given level). This roughly corresponds to Magic's vanilla test, which says, that a reasonable price for a character without abilities with attack A and defense D is A+D/2.
    Common Ghost Rider is then for me 2/3 for 3, 3/4 for 4, 5/5 for 5, which is subpar on first two levels.
    Uncommon and Rare versions have an interesting effect, but that is definitely not worth 2 more energy.
    Not to mention there are better cards that do his abilities cheaper.

If you're looking for a competitive card he doesn't fit in there. As a fun card he's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    If you're looking for a competitive card he doesn't fit in there. As a fun card he's fine.
    Competitive? No, just came across him in my collection and was pondering if his time had finally come.

I think Ghost Rider - New Rider has a place in Lantern Ring teams, especially when combined with Cyclops - Field Leader, doubly so if you can manage field her with Miri Riam.

Same can be said for Brimstone Biker if you're using it to pick up something an important ability like a Miri Riam or a Lantern Ring itself.
    Last edited by Necromanticer; 01-22-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I think Ghost Rider - New Rider has a place in Lantern Ring teams, especially when combined with Cyclops - Field Leader, doubly so if you can manage field her with Miri Riam.

Same can be said for Brimstone Biker if you're using it to pick up something an important ability like a Miri Riam or a Lantern Ring itself.
    Maybe some of the less competitive ones, the TFC is too high combined with the purchase cost for her to be good alongside something like Miri. For that to come out you would need 2 other types of lanterns which would mean you are starting to put less bolt characters in just for the purpose of making ghost rider work. For me that's too many cards getting added just to make one card fit in a team. Outside of competive decks she works just fine and would be able to push great damage!