Thread: Has Gobby Been Officially Banned From Play?

Has Gobby Been Officially Banned From Play?

I never use him, but needed him to fill a slot on my Catch 22 Spin Team with there no being any low costing villains. I was told that Gobby was banned from play. Is this true?

Um pretty sure not. All cards are allowed to be played with. Gobby can be countered. Constantine, Vicious Struggle, Captain America, Human Paladin etc.

The Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination is legal. I dont see why Gobby would be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    I never use him, but needed him to fill a slot on my Catch 22 Spin Team with there no being any low costing villains. I was told that Gobby was banned from play. Is this true?
    Not officially, but your local store may ban him from play for certain events. I know a lot of special events are designed to increase meta diversity and creativity, so may of them ban the "power cards". Then of course, some stores that never offered AvX have banned the AvX super rares because of their scarcity, and the unbalance that that causes.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    One store I play at has banned AVX since December 2015.the two other stores I play at have not banned anything. However at one of those stores they have a limit of one SR & one Promo card per team.
    Wow...way to take the fun out of unlimited.

So does @agentj have a venue for actual unlimited play or no?

I often feel as though those stores that ban Gobby/Tsarina/Entire AvX aren't in touch with today's game. Yes, they were way over powered when AvX released, but we're so deep into the game now. There's enough counters out there. And a plethora of teams that win without them. They simply aren't auto-includes any more.

I would Ban Vixen all day, she is just too beautiful to waste her claws on filthy Dice anyway!

And guess what, if a Set Rotation would come in this year, i dont care^^ because here in germany are in bubble where time for the meta flows slower than outside.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    I often feel as though those stores that ban Gobby/Tsarina/Entire AvX aren't in touch with today's game. Yes, they were way over powered when AvX released, but we're so deep into the game now. There's enough counters out there. And a plethora of teams that win without them. They simply aren't auto-includes any more.
    Yep. Also, how many new players do you see who get their hands on those cards but have no idea how to use them properly? Or better yet, how many Guy Gardner teams do you see with 4 AvX win conditions as backups? Yet the player has no idea when and how to switch when Gardner fails?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    So does @agentj have a venue for actual unlimited play or no?
    Yes I do however, they don't play every week and I don't play there every time they have events. Although to become a better player I suppose I should. It is a tough decision right? Do I play where they have unlimited matches? Or do I play where one of the best players near me plays (I consider him my arch nemesis) even though they have restrictions on the format - one SR one Promo max. He beats me on a consistent basis. By playing him I have learned a lot even though I still have much to learn. I ended up facing him at the PDC in the finals. Before the match he gave me a great compliment saying, "J, you really have become a much better player." Then we played and he took first.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    Yes I do however, they don't play every week and I don't play there every time they have events. Although to become a better player I suppose I should. It is a tough decision right? Do I play where they have unlimited matches? Or do I play where one of the best players near me plays (I consider him my arch nemesis) even though they have restrictions on the format - one SR one Promo max. He beats me on a consistent basis. By playing him I have learned a lot even though I still have much to learn. I ended up facing him at the PDC in the finals. Before the match he gave me a great compliment saying, "J, you really have become a much better player." Then we played and he took first.
    He lured you into a false sense of security. :P

Quote Originally Posted by pizzarony View Post
    When one of the best counters is another $60 super rare, I totally get the decision to ban them. Oh, and keeping newer players from getting discouraged immediately. It's not easy to build a scene, and gobby/tsarina are great at destroying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    When one of the best counters is another $60 super rare, I totally get the decision to ban them. Oh, and keeping newer players from getting discouraged immediately. It's not easy to build a scene, and gobby/tsarina are great at destroying them.
    A friend and I were accused of being the reason a scene was destroyed. This was back between just AVX and slightly after UXM was introduced that we played at this one place and we were the only 2 with SRs. My logic is if you don't want to spend the money to get good it isn't my fault you left. You weren't going to like the game anyway.

Except that $60+ cards are not the bets counters to these SRs.

Beast easily counters tsarina and guy, where is beast found? In the starter.
    Gobby problems? Kill his sidekicks or reduce damage. Captain America, Human Paladin, Wonder Woman and Hyperion (completely negate villain when fielded effects).

The rest of AvX (not including Hulk) wasn't broken. Obviously, I wouldn't introduce newer players to these cards until they have begun establishing their own rosters and playstyles.

my problem is that we play different themes every week at my local shop and someone always has to include tsarina and it ruins the thematic play. I have no problem with those cards in unlimited, I am just tired of creating unique teams to the theme and having to deal with tsarina or gobby.

I've actually tried to use Tsarina and gobby cards. I just don't find them as fun. Sure I can win quickly but I'm not too much in the mental aspect of playing brain dead cards.

Call it Irony when one of my favorite cards to use is Nova the Human rocket.

I have a friend that 9 times out of 10 uses Gobby. She brings it most of the time when it comes to unlimited events. Rather annoying but Constantine and me are buds.

Quote Originally Posted by mackstation View Post
    my problem is that we play different themes every week at my local shop and someone always has to include tsarina and it ruins the thematic play. I have no problem with those cards in unlimited, I am just tired of creating unique teams to the theme and having to deal with tsarina or gobby.
    Sorry to hear that. I can see why to ban them from certain events.

Quote Originally Posted by mackstation View Post
    Luckily our group is pretty good over all. I do themed events a lot and everyone usually comes with something fun and thematic. But theres always that one guy that always shows up with the the most competitive direct damage teams possible. Then you almost feel like you have to play specific counters to him, rather than having fun with your team and working on improving your game play. But it's gotten to the point now when I run a themed event that I have to ban specific cards and combos that I know are people's gotos to try to get them to build something out of the box.

We tend to keep the overpowered SRs out of our thematic play. Sure we all have them, but we can beat up on each other with them in competitive play.

it's a collectible game, man, there are going to be cards that are more expensive

considering there are like, 5 at most that are worth $60, and you can have a team with just 1 or 2 or even none and be competitive, that's pretty freaking nice compared to any other collectible game

like, I feel like people get into this game thinking it should be an all-in-one box game, but it's not, and it isn't going to be, so like... yeah, you are going to need to spend $50 on a couple cards.

that's still less than you'd pay for a 3rd tier Magic team or any other collectible and competitive game

people keep forgetting this is a game based on rarity values and blind boosters, or they want to pretend it shouldn't be like that... or something?

I've noticed that too. It's weird. It seems like people that play board games but not CCGs want every CCG to be an LCG. Different strokes, I guess.